In these days of darkness.

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited June 2007 in Other Music
we need songs like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmvsPAAdIU

who, on a mainstream, commercial level, is making stuff like this these days?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeremy1012 wrote:
    we need songs like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqmvsPAAdIU

who, on a mainstream, commercial level, is making stuff like this these days?

people with a discernible lack of talent?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • orig_long redorig_long red Posts: 2,029

i'm gonna go ahead and agree with this.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    did you even listen to the song? I may of course be wrong and you merely dislike tupac but let me guess, you think all rap is shit and that it takes no talent to make, right? I'd agree with you if the video was 50 cent or Akon or something.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
    tupac was special. A complex guy, who could bash women in one album, and in the next write songs like Keep Ya Head Up, that show amazing solidarity with women and their plight.

He is well worth checking out, and all of his albums are classics.

He is probably one of the most important hip hop artists ever.

An angry young man, with a grudge against the system that incarcerates and kills innocent black men and women.
  • JamnJodiJamnJodi Posts: 16
    I am with you Jeremy, Tupac was amazing! My interest in rap/hip hop music pretty much died right along with him. Sad really..
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Tupac did nothing for me. Give me Jurassic 5, De La soul, Tribe Called quest any day.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • MohabMohab Posts: 310
    good shit, thanks
    stu gee wrote:
    Tupac did nothing for me. Give me Jurassic 5, De La soul, Tribe Called quest any day.
    I love all three, especially Jurassic 5, but none of them have that same universal ability to make people relate. I'm a white, middle class guy from england so as much as I can appreciate the lyrics of, say, Public Enemy's Black steel in the hour of chaos, I can't really relate. Even though tupac said many of the same things, he manage to articulate so that anyone could understand. I feel that, considering he is the biggest selling hip hop artist ever, he is woefully underrated amongst actual fans of the genre. He seems to be dismissed as just being some guy who got famous because he pretended to be a gangsta and got shot. I dont see how anyone could listen to brenda's got a baby, keep ya head up or unconditional love and not appreciate it.
  • ecd1973ecd1973 Posts: 30
    tupac was special. A complex guy, who could bash women in one album, and in the next write songs like Keep Ya Head Up, that show amazing solidarity with women and their plight.

Why is that so complex and amazing?
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

-- Willy Wonka
    ecd1973 wrote:
    Why is that so complex and amazing?
    the sheer contradictions in the themes and messages in his lyrics makes him an interesting artist. there was no one part of his character that was simple or clear. on the one hand you have a song like changes where he says we need to help each other, not harm each other, and then you have the paranoid, angry, consumed by hate tupac who writes a song like hit em up. as vile as that song is, there's something fascinating about a complicated person like that.

I think that's what che was getting at.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I love all three, especially Jurassic 5, but none of them have that same universal ability to make people relate. I'm a white, middle class guy from england so as much as I can appreciate the lyrics of, say, Public Enemy's Black steel in the hour of chaos, I can't really relate. Even though tupac said many of the same things, he manage to articulate so that anyone could understand. I feel that, considering he is the biggest selling hip hop artist ever, he is woefully underrated amongst actual fans of the genre. He seems to be dismissed as just being some guy who got famous because he pretended to be a gangsta and got shot. I dont see how anyone could listen to brenda's got a baby, keep ya head up or unconditional love and not appreciate it.

Keep ya head up, unconditional love and dear mama are the only of his songs i can be bothered with. I used to listen to him when i was younger but find the other acts i mentioned much more to my taste, they are probably the only hip hop acts i ever listen to nowadays, along with perhaps Gangstarr and Mc Abdominal.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
    stu gee wrote:
    Keep ya head up, unconditional love and dear mama are the only of his songs i can be bothered with. I used to listen to him when i was younger but find the other acts i mentioned much more to my taste, they are probably the only hip hop acts i ever listen to nowadays, along with perhaps Gangstarr and Mc Abdominal.
    that's fair enough I guess. the only thing I dislike about tupac is the fact that some of his tracks were misogynistic. I can understand the change of heart from anti-violence to violence after him being shot but the fact that the same man can write "I give a holla to my sisters on welfare, tupac cares if don't nobody else care" and "you claim to be a playa but I fucked your wife" is just a tad hypocritical. oh yes, and also the fact that no one will let him rest. do we really need another album of eminem-produced beats and artists he never would have collaborated with?