Options

My Solution proposal...

CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Taken from other threads and combined here...
Here is my solution...
You get to buy as many shows as you wish. However, you must specify ONE show as your 'Top Draft'. All of the people who choose their 'Top Draft' as Los Angeles, for example, get senirority seating. The rest of the Club members who purchased tickets for Los Angeles, but not listed it as their 'Top Draft' get seated after that... by seniority.
This way, the kid in Phoenix with the 350,000 number gets to sit in front of the people coming from Los Angeles with the 139,000 numbers at the Phoenix show. There is no reason why someone from Los Angeles should sit closer than the kid who lives in Phoenix, right? Everyone gets a shot at up close seating... and the lower numbers will still get GREAT seats, relative to the TicketMaster masses.
This would be fair for the people who live in Kansas City (where Pearl Jam dosen't play) to pick a venue outside their locale and get a a chance at a great seat.
Besides, those with lower numbers have already had the entire 2003 and 2006 shows under their belts... I think it's time to share the wealth with the rest of the club members.
As for the Process we go throught to get the tickets:
One of the ideas I thought of was 'Queueing the requests"... that is, saving the requests as they came in. Save them in a database with the timestamp and process them in the order according to the timestamp. Send an auto response to the user's E-Mail, letting them know their request Number. If a User (member) submits more than one... have the database kick it out the subsequent ones as duplicates and shoot off a E-mail reminding them to only submit one order.
The Ticketing System runs the requests in order, using its processing capabilities to it's fullest. This way, your server works at its capacity, not beyond it. When the process is completed... either pass or fail (failure due to insufficient funds or incorrect Credit Card Information), the user is notified by E-Mail. When all of the tickets are sold for each venue.. a click on the 'BUY' button will return a 'SOLD OUT' message.
The downside is... you will not recieve immediate results. The results will have to be E-Mailed to you stating whether your transaction was completed... whether your credit card was rejected.. or whether your request came in after all of the allotment of tickets have been sold.
You're still going to get complaints... because some people will complain about anything. But, at least the system would be fair and a little less frustrating.
Technical Note: I'm thinking in Oracle terms here. These are similar to things we used to have to run here, before we got our 16 CPU per Node HP SuperDome. We don't need to Queue up anymore because of our massive (and massively expensive, complicated and expensive to maintain) system.
This Way... The Ten Club does not need to expense a computing system that is does not need... on a regular day... how many transactions do you think it runs? Not many is my guess. The membership fees won't skyrocket to pay for added hardwae/software procurement and maintanance.
FIX the Process... don't bankrupt yourself because of a frenzy.
Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
Hail, Hail!!!