Cat Power

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I know there have been threads before but I haven't seen any for a while and frankly I don't care, I wish to express my love for Chan Marshall again with a dedicated thread. Opinions on her albums, experiences of live shows and youtube video posts are all welcomed and expected :)

Some of my favourite songs/performances:

Metal Heart (1998)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4XqTl0ACoY&feature=related

Maybe Not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj_tR4p184

The Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1LJ_Orp5k&feature=related

Colors and the Kids (probably in my top 10 songs of all time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkOcdRPdGRw

So yeah, if there are any other big fans, show your love :)
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

Truly beautiful song.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Truly beautiful song.
    Every time I hear her sing "Will you meet me down on a sandy beach? we could roll up our jeans so the tide won't get us below the knees" I just want to cry... it sounds so beautiful :o

Unbelievable song.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Every time I hear her sing "Will you meet me down on a sandy beach? we could roll up our jeans so the tide won't get us below the knees" I just want to cry... it sounds so beautiful :o

Unbelievable song.

Totally. The vibe she creates in that song is just so haunting...
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

This one's new to me, I'll have to check out some of her earlier recordings now. Used to listen to The Greatest all the time, thing is, her soft serenading, whilst beautiful, does put me in a sombre mood, or it did. Like I'm extracting only negativity from her songs, or perhaps that's what I'm drawn to......well,whatever, I'll have to listen again and see.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Today I finally got around to buying Moon Pix. Pretty nice overall. I was thrown off by her version of "Moonshiner" though. I'm rather attached to a certain other band's rendition, so I'll admit to a bias.

I appreciate what Chan does, but I don't find myself listening to her often. There's a painful beauty to her work that I find hard to digest unless I'm in just the right mood.
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    my fav song is good woman. just so beautiful!

and before you accuse me of havin alterior motives, i only realised recently that eddie did backing vox on it! i was not swayed by him
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    duggro wrote:
    my fav song is good woman. just so beautiful!

and before you accuse me of havin alterior motives, i only realised recently that eddie did backing vox on it! i was not swayed by him
    thas how I discovered her music, no recommendations nor was the name familiar to me.
  • iamsampjiamsampj Posts: 784
    she is my absolute favorite...along w/ my girl crush karen o :D

her music fascinates me. it haunts me.

"metal heart (2008)" is one of my favorite songs of the moment...it's so emotional. i could listen to it on infinite repeat!
    yes...i do feel like a human. i do not feel like a tree.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I like a lot of her Jazz-Soul tunes much more than her folky-acoustic stuff, I think soul/jazz brings out the best of her voice- which is a beautiful voice.

Probably my favorite female singer at moment. The Greatest is one of my favorite albums. :)
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    I like a lot of her Jazz-Soul tunes much more than her folky-acoustic stuff, I think soul/jazz brings out the best of her voice- which is a beautiful voice.

Probably my favorite female singer at moment. The Greatest is one of my favorite albums. :)
    I prefer the earlier stuff. Well, by that I mean middle period. From Moon Pix to You Are Free is my favourite stuff. I love her sultry, smokey voice but prefer the sparser musical arrangements when it was just her and guitar/piano.

Moon Pix is a masterpiece.
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I prefer the earlier stuff. Well, by that I mean middle period. From Moon Pix to You Are Free is my favourite stuff. I love her sultry, smokey voice but prefer the sparser musical arrangements when it was just her and guitar/piano.

Moon Pix is a masterpiece.
    I only have You Are Free, The Greatest, and Jukebox. I'll have to grab a hold of some vintage Cat.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
    LongRd. wrote:
    I only have You Are Free, The Greatest, and Jukebox. I'll have to grab a hold of some vintage Cat.
    Definitely get Moon Pix. Probably my favourite. Her first few albums are good but underdeveloped.
    Oh christ... this is heartbreaking.

Ice Water from Myra Lee (1996)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_avjIm8h44
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    My favorite female singer.
    Moon Pix, The Greatest, You are free and Jukebox are great.
    I love the new version of "Metal Heart" from Jukebox. Goosebumps!
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • i love Cat Power

You Are Free is just an amazing piece of art

and im really enjoying her latest- jukebox
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • quarterpastquarterpast Posts: 185
    http://web.mac.com/soundcapturephotos/iWeb/Site/Music%20Photos_files/IMG_6063_w.jpg

and

http://web.mac.com/soundcapturephotos/iWeb/Site/Music%20Photos_files/IMG_6123_w.jpg

Took these a few months back when she played Philly :) Love it when people play into the camera lens, the pictures are much more fun.
    rock bands may come and rock bands may go...
    but rock n roll will live forever! - ray davies
  • Thanks to Audiodave, I love Cat Power. :o

I'm off to see her next week with him in Birmingham and I can't wait. I absolutely adore 'The Greatest' and I really hope she plays 'Willie', 'Where is my Love' and 'Lived in Bars'. I'd like to see 'Fool' from You are Free and 'They Tell Me' from What Would The Community Think but looking at recent setlists I don't think it's gonna happen... :(
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Off to see her at All Points West Fest in Aug :):):) They just added Ben Harper and Matt Costa to the lineup too, woo-hoo! Gonna be one hell of a weekend.
    Thanks to Audiodave, I love Cat Power. :o

I'm off to see her next week with him in Birmingham and I can't wait. I absolutely adore 'The Greatest' and I really hope she plays 'Willie', 'Where is my Love' and 'Lived in Bars'. I'd like to see 'Fool' from You are Free and 'They Tell Me' from What Would The Community Think but looking at recent setlists I don't think it's gonna happen... :(
    Fool is one of my favourites. I'd kill to see that live :)