Reading Festival 2007

Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
edited August 2007 in Other Music
Got back a few hours ago, sunburnt, dehydrated, exhausted but pretty satisfied. I watched the following -

Jimmy Eat World
Gogol Bordello
Arcade Fire
The Shins
Bloc Party
Eagles of Death Metal
Red Hot Chili Peppers (most disappointing set ever?)
Smashing Pumpkins
Nine Inch Nails
Fall Out Boy
Gym Class Heroes
Dinosaur Jr
Sparta
The Bronx
Against Me!
From Autumn to Ashes
Municipal Waste

...and some others that weren't worth remembering.
Basically the chilis were really disappointing. shit sound, terrible vibe, tension between Anthony and John, Anthony's general bad attitude, almost all new material, unnecessary jams when they could have used the time to play some older stuff. The only redeeming factor was the fact that John and Flea seemed to be enjoying the jams and John's solo song was amazing as usual.

Highlights for me were The Shins, who played a flawless set, The Bronx who were the most physically intense band I've ever seen (one of my friends collapsed from the physical strain of being in the circle pits. It was the third time for me and it was an infinite improvement on the other two fantastic gigs), Bloc Party, who I don't even like that much but they played a fucking fantastic gig. They were so genuine and seemed sincerely humbled by playing in front of so many people.

Also, Nine Inch Nails were the best band of the weekend. The whole set was fantastic, the stage presence was amazing, the visual effects were brilliant and everyone was enjoying it. Most of all though, when they played Hurt as the closing song it was the most amazing live performance I have ever seen. I had actual goosebumps, people around me were tearing up, as was Trent, and two friends of mine finally agreed that NIN's original is better than Johnny Cash's :)

So yeah, good weekend. Who else went?
"I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Peter CPeter C Posts: 237
    Hi mate,yeah i went and what a great time i had. Completely fucked now and withdrawal symptoms are kicking in.
    Saw loads,highlights for me were
    (best band of the weekend) Nine Inch Nails
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Kings Of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Maps
    Interpol
    Albert Hammond Jr
    Jimmy Eat World
    Dinosaur Jr
    Lostprophets (who i did slag off,proved me wrong tho)

Lowlights
    Fall Out Boy
    Panic at the disco
    Razorlight (who never in a million years should headline)
    I love the chilis but they were okay at best.

Roll on next year
    London 1996 Cardiff 2000 Paris 2006 and London 2007.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Peter C wrote:
    Hi mate,yeah i went and what a great time i had. Completely fucked now and withdrawal symptoms are kicking in.
    Saw loads,highlights for me were
    (best band of the weekend) Nine Inch Nails
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Kings Of Leon
    Arcade Fire
    Maps
    Interpol
    Albert Hammond Jr
    Jimmy Eat World
    Dinosaur Jr
    Lostprophets (who i did slag off,proved me wrong tho)

Lowlights
    Fall Out Boy
    Panic at the disco
    Razorlight (who never in a million years should headline)
    I love the chilis but they were okay at best.

Roll on next year
    Dinosaur Jr were excellent. on the BBC's coverage you can hear me shouting a request for J's cover of Maggot Brain by Funkadelic... which they didn't do :D

I actually thought fall out boy were great. good, catchy fun. the akon/r. kelly cover was amazing :D
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Also, Nine Inch Nails were the best band of the weekend. The whole set was fantastic, the stage presence was amazing, the visual effects were brilliant and everyone was enjoying it. Most of all though, when they played Hurt as the closing song it was the most amazing live performance I have ever seen. I had actual goosebumps, people around me were tearing up, as was Trent, and two friends of mine finally agreed that NIN's original is better than Johnny Cash's :)

NIN is the best live show going right now imo.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I went too, I'm so unbelievably tired, but I'm trying to stay up so I can get a normal night sleep tonight.

I saw:

Gogol Bordello
    The Gossip
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Living End
    Kings Of Leon
    Ash
    Eagles of Death Metal
    Silversun Pickups - half their set cause I wanted to see Arcade Fire
    Arcade Fire
    Chili Peppers - left half way through cause they were boring as hell, Kiedis looked like he didn't want to even be there.
    Sonic Boom Six
    Lostprophets - I don't care what anyone says, they were fucking awesome
    NIN
    Smashing Pumpkins

NIN were very good, although I think they could have played a slightly more festival friendly set, and I was really disappointed they did nothing from The Fragile. I must concur though, that the version of Hurt at the end was damn near jaw-dropping. As good as Johnny Cash's version is, I still prefer Trent's version.

Pumpkins were probably the biggest letdown of the weekend for me. I'm not saying they were awful, but they wasted so much of their set with ten minute plus jams, when they could have played a load of their classics in that time. Obviously the hits they did play, were great, but I couldn't help feeling slightly short changed. They did somewhat redeem themselves by playing Drown though, which was excellent.

All in all a great weekend!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/readingandleeds/2007/watchandlisten/

* Albert Hammond Jr
    * Arcade Fire
    * Ash
    * Biffy Clyro
    * Bloc Party
    * Cold War Kids
    * CSS
    * Dinosaur Jr
    * The Enemy
    * Enter Shikari
    * Funeral for a Friend
    * Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly
    * Gossip
    * Hadouken
    * The Horrors
    * Interpol
    * Jack Penate
    * Jamie T
    * Kings of Leon
    * Klaxons
    * LCD Soundsystem
    * Lostprophets
    * The Maccabees
    * Maximo Park
    * New Young Pony Club
    * Nine Inch Nails
    * Panic at the Disco
    * Patrick Wolf
    * Pigeon Detectives
    * Razorlight
    * Red Hot Chili Peppers
    * Reverend and the Makers
    * Smashing Pumpkins
    * The Subways
    * The Sunshine Underground
    * The Twang
    * The View
    * We Are Scientists
    * The Young Knives

all of those sets (perhaps shortened in some cases) plus you'll find interviews/acoustics sets, etc!!!

wish i had been there... KOL and Arcade Fire were goosebumpingly brilliant on TV nevermind live!!!!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Carlos DCarlos D Posts: 638
    I saw Nine Inch Nails supporting the Foo Fighters last week and I was mildly disappointed they didn't play Hurt or We're in This Together but otherwise it was one of the most amazing performacnes I've ever seenI definitely have to go Reading next year.

Were Jimmy Eat World good?
    It may be the devil or it may be the Lord
    But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

www.bebo.com/pearljam06
    Carlos D wrote:
    I saw Nine Inch Nails supporting the Foo Fighters last week and I was mildly disappointed they didn't play Hurt or We're in This Together but otherwise it was one of the most amazing performacnes I've ever seenI definitely have to go Reading next year.

Yes, they were fantastic! I've seen them in the past and they were just OK, but their main stage set this year was perfect. They played all their big songs including some stuff from Clarity, so I was well happy.

I was really hoping for We're In This Together too, but I don't think they play it very often. Still they did play a lot of very good stuff so I can't really complain. I just watched their live set again on the BBC website, even hearing it through my crappy pc speakers, Hurt still gives me shivers.
    Carlos D wrote:

I'd have been gutted if they didn't play Hurt last night. as it stands it was the best performance I've ever seen. a lot of people say that Trent is overly angsty but it was so real.

also, I only caught Jimmy Eat World's later set in the Lock-Up tent but it was very good. I don't know a lot of their stuff beyond the hits but they were great.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Got back a few hours ago, sunburnt, dehydrated, exhausted but pretty satisfied. I watched the following -

Jimmy Eat World
    Gogol Bordello
    Arcade Fire
    The Shins
    Bloc Party
    Eagles of Death Metal
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (most disappointing set ever?)
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Nine Inch Nails
    Fall Out Boy
    Gym Class Heroes
    Dinosaur Jr
    Sparta
    The Bronx
    Against Me!
    From Autumn to Ashes
    Municipal Waste

...and some others that weren't worth remembering.
    Basically the chilis were really disappointing. shit sound, terrible vibe, tension between Anthony and John, Anthony's general bad attitude, almost all new material, unnecessary jams when they could have used the time to play some older stuff. The only redeeming factor was the fact that John and Flea seemed to be enjoying the jams and John's solo song was amazing as usual.

Highlights for me were The Shins, who played a flawless set, The Bronx who were the most physically intense band I've ever seen (one of my friends collapsed from the physical strain of being in the circle pits. It was the third time for me and it was an infinite improvement on the other two fantastic gigs), Bloc Party, who I don't even like that much but they played a fucking fantastic gig. They were so genuine and seemed sincerely humbled by playing in front of so many people.

So yeah, good weekend. Who else went?

I never went. Sorry the Chili's were crap.

I think NIN is so close to being best band of our generation (next to Pearl Jam) I'm really sorry I missed it.

Were Dinosaur Jr any good?

I wish I'd been there in '95. Neil Young and Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Green Day, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, the Chili's, I think? Lollapalooza for the English!
  • I just went for the Sunday and have to agree NIN rocked. Beat Pumpkins hands down i am afraid. The set and sound were fantastic, and yes, tears for Hurt!
    I was a bit disapointed by Pumpkins i have to say, he really did not seem to want to play the old stuff, and unfortunately thats what a festival crowd usually want to hear. New stuff was good live though.
    It was funny though, the crowd really emptied after Lost Prophets as most of the kids went off not knowing much about NIN or Pumpkins.
    Fall Out Boy were a surprise hit for me, they were good fun and i think most people had a laugh with them.
    What did others think of the Pumpkins?
    London Nov 96, London May 00, Cardiff June 00, Las Vegas June 03, London April 06, Dublin Aug 06, Reading Aug 06, London June 07, New York x2 June 08, Manchester Aug 09, London August 09, London June 10, Manchester June 12, IOW June 12, EV London July 12, Milton Keynes June 14, EV London x2 June 17, London June 18, London July 18, EV London July 19, Hyde Park x 2 July 23 
    I wish I'd been there in '95. Neil Young and Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Green Day, Hole, Smashing Pumpkins, the Chili's, I think? Lollapalooza for the English!

I was there that year, it was awesome. No Chili's though. And I think everybody was expecting Vedder to come out, since the rest of Pearl Jam were Neil Young's backing band - so it was a tad diappointing when he didn't turn up!

Were Dinosaur Jr any good?
    yeah they were great. J's solos were on fire and Murph was beating the shit out of the drums. I was surprised how many people turned up to see them, especially since Panic! at the fucking disco were playing at the same time. Dinosaur Jr are hardly well known here.
    Fall Out Boy were a surprise hit for me, they were good fun and i think most people had a laugh with them.
    What did others think of the Pumpkins?
    I agree. Fall Out Boy were one of the highlights for me, although I liked them before and I'm not ashamed to say it. Their songs are great fun and they have a sense of humour. the guy they brought on stage to bottle himself was crazy :D

I enjoyed the pumpkins but I thought the set list could have been better. A bit TOO much new stuff if you ask me. Today, Bullet with butterfly wings, Tonight Tonight and Cherub rock were great. Wish they'd played hummer though...
  • TerryibleTerryible Posts: 462
    I just went on the Saturday
    RHCP were awful, I walked out 1/2way through as couldn't take much more of it.
    Arcade Fire were brilliant as usual, can’t wait to see them again in October.
    Eagles of Death Metal were another band that great, I think they should have played a little later than they did.
    Dinosaur Jr was also very solid
    I still can't believe how bad the chili's were, every time i hear them now, i will think of reading.
    26/02/1998 Wellington, 09/09/2006 Marseille, 16/09/2006 Verona
    23/09/2006 Berlin, 30/09/2006 Athens, 18/07/2007 London
    02/07/2009 Honolulu (EV Solo), 22/11/2009, Sydney, 29/11/2009 Christchurch
    I think if you are closing the last night of a festival you have a serious responsibility. People have been camping for a few days, they're tired, and just want something good to send them off. Unfortunately Billy Corgan's inflated ego didn't factor this in when he wrote that set list. Seriously how deluded must he be if he thinks people who may not have seen his band before, want to hear a 10 minute version of Heavy Metal Machine - a song that was never that impressive in the first place? Shit, they could have at least done Porcelina or Silverfuck, whilst those songs are equally long, at least they have good melodies and don't drag on and on and on.

I've spent ages defending the new Smashing Pumpkins, but seriously even if the old members might not have played a pivotal role musically, at least they would have been able to say "Billy why don't we play this instead?", imagine if one of the new members said that to him, I suspect they are very much made to feel that they should be grateful for getting the gig. It makes me wonder what the future of SP really is, Corgan barely even interacted with the rest of the band.

NIN definitely should have headlined, they were much better, you actually got the sense they were giving everything they had. Failing that I would have been happier seeing Lostprophets headline, the crowd interaction was excellent, they played exactly the songs they knew people would want to hear, and they seemed genuinely grateful that people wanted to watch them.

I gotta say, I would definitely think twice before I paid to see Pumpkins again, their Reading performance has really left a sour taste in my mouth.
  • duggroduggro Posts: 1,343
    Saturnal wrote:
    NIN is the best live show going right now imo.
    hmmmm i saw them in edinburgh last week and they were reaaaally disappointing

just noise.

and im a fan btw
    Dublin Leeds Berlin Wembley
  • dustdust Posts: 133
    NIN were definitely the band of the weekend!!!!

Dinosaur Jr were also incredible, I was so happy afterwards I stumbled over to the signing tent to meet 'em which was something I wouldn't normally do :)

Shame about the Chili Peppers, I was really lookin forward to seeing them, I guess all bands have off days. Can't shake the feeling that things really aren't right tho, there was so much tension pouring from the stage.

Anyways, definitely one of the best I've been to, roll on next year.......
    duggro wrote:
    hmmmm i saw them in edinburgh last week and they were reaaaally disappointing

just noise.

and im a fan btw
    :( they were SOOOO good at reading. you could tell that Trent gave it everything.