Options

Courtney Sells Nirvana Rights Share

NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
edited March 2006 in Other Music
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/9549408/courtney_sells_nirvana_rights_share

Though Love and Mestel declined to comment on specifics, a source close to the deal tells Rolling Stone that Mestel has likely paid in excess of $50 million for the rights.

Thus far, the tracks have been notably absent from corporate ad campaigns and blockbuster action-movie soundtracks.
"
We're going to remain very tasteful, and we're going to [retain] the spirit of Nirvana and take Nirvana places it's never been before," says Love. "My goal is to keep the music very true to who the songwriter was and what his passions and tastes would be," Mestel adds, "and to work through Courtney to figure out exactly the best way to go about exposing his music to a new youth culture to a new generation."
Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i said this in the other forum... who or what is mestel?
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Some dude who is part of Virgin records apparently... Read the article it says who he is...
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Not exactly clear on whats going to be happening is it?

Does it mean that they are going to be re-releasing old Nirvana songs which have been touched up or is it going to be never before heard stuff?

Confused much.
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Great... we'll be hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit in a car commercial now. Artistic integrity means nothing to Courtney Love.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    My gut tells me that this is not good. "Tasteful" is a term that gets abused frequently in the entertainment and advertising industries. I have no hope that anyone connected to that person (especially someone who lives under the delusion that Courtney Love has any "creativity" at all,) would have a clue what tasteful is.

So ... to console myself, I'm just going to look at this again. It captures the true spirit of Courtney (known forever in this house as "that pig")

http://gofugyourself.typepad.com/go_fug_yourself/courtney_love/index.html
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Man, like there weren't enough reasons to dislike this person, she amazes me once again. She really just needs to fade away.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    50 million dollars is a lot of motivation.

I don't blame her for doing it. It's not like she could ever hope to appreciate what it means to write a song half as good as a Nirvana song...so she might as well get paid.
  • Options
    CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    She only sold a small portion of her holdings. Basically the guy paid her to let him start marketing all of the songs better and he gain is a share of the profits he can make. A really backwards way to hire a consultant, but whatever.

I don't really care about commercials or anything, I just hope they start trying to make money by selling the remaining unreleased stuff and re-packaging Nervermind and In Utero as two disc sets with live shows, b-sides or demos added. Yes, we will probably hear some Nirvana on commercials now, but I'll take it if we get more music being released.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I want to hear Polly in a tampon commercial.
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    enharmonic wrote:
    I want to hear Polly in a tampon commercial.

Thats just plain wrong dude, yet still i laugh to myself:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    NickyNooch wrote:
    Great... we'll be hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit in a car commercial now. Artistic integrity means nothing to Courtney Love.

fits mr cobain like a glove.

maybe blondie will make a video with him.......
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    The deal says that Courtney controls 98% of all Nirvana publishing rights with Dave and Krist getting the remainder. Is this because Kurt was the one who wrote the songs? That's the only take I have on it.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yeah - let's see how long it takes her to spend $50 mil on smack.
  • Options
    LUCKY15 wrote:
    yeah - let's see how long it takes her to spend $50 mil on smack.
    But she's sotally tober now.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    But she's sotally tober now.

Good one. Everyone bashes her and rightfully so. I actually enjoyed some of her music with Hole. I know I'm in the minority here.
    Yes you are. In fact, you might be the only person on this whole forum to have enjoyed anything by Hole. Not that it's a bad thing. Hel, Celebrity Skin rocks in its own way...I guess.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    adam42381 wrote:
    Good one. Everyone bashes her and rightfully so. I actually enjoyed some of her music with Hole. I know I'm in the minority here.

I heard somewhere it was 'fairly likely' that Kurt wrote most of their first record. Anybody else hear the same thing?

edit: I forgot to mention Courtney Love is a stupid bitch for hanging on to that shit for so long. She had shit all to do with the music and should have sold the writes to Dave and Chris long ago.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Yes you are. In fact, you might be the only person on this whole forum to have enjoyed anything by Hole. Not that it's a bad thing. Hel, Celebrity Skin rocks in its own way...I guess.

That's what I figured, but everyone has different taste. I guess I enjoyed the raw energy in her voice. She's one of the few female singers that I can actually tolerate listening to. Don't know why, just don't like a lot of chick rock.
    MCG wrote:
    I heard somewhere it was 'fairly likely' that Kurt wrote most of their first record. Anybody else hear the same thing?

Doubtful, because Hole's first album, Pretty On the Inside, is horrible. Unless of course you are refering to Live Through This, which I heard the same thing about. Not sure if it's true though.

Bashing Courtney Love is so easy and lame to me. She's like the Yoko of our generation. I try to Keep in mind that Kurt was the one who was the suicidal junky that bailed on an entire generation.

Just saying ...
    "Goddamn Romans. Sure know how to make a ... drum room." --Matt Cameron
  • Options
    CM1847 wrote:
    She only sold a small portion of her holdings. Basically the guy paid her to let him start marketing all of the songs better and he gain is a share of the profits he can make. A really backwards way to hire a consultant, but whatever.

I don't really care about commercials or anything, I just hope they start trying to make money by selling the remaining unreleased stuff and re-packaging Nervermind and In Utero as two disc sets with live shows, b-sides or demos added. Yes, we will probably hear some Nirvana on commercials now, but I'll take it if we get more music being released.
    she sold it all.
  • Options
    . I try to Keep in mind that Kurt was the one who was the suicidal junky that bailed on an entire generation.

in doing so he let nirvana leave on top.