16 Horsepower

reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Anyone into these guys? heard a few tracks by them on my meemix radio station now an I'm very impressed with their sound.
I'm gonna be picking up one of their albums pretty soon.
What's the best to start with?:)
Can not be arsed with life no more.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Anyone?:(
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Love 'em.

Sackcloth n Ashes is one of the best albums ever.
    the Minions
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I don't own any 16 Horsepower, but I am looking into getting a Woven Hand album. I'll be sure to check out 16 Horsepower if the Woven Hand works out for me.

I've read that the guy incorporates/ed some religious elements into his music. I'm assuming it's nothing preachy? Any thoughts on this, Strangest Tribe?
  • chopitdownchopitdown Posts: 2,222
    saw those guys back in 97 in michigan...they were a great live act. haven't listened to them much since, but they were very good live
    make sure the fortune that you seek...is the fortune that you need
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Sackcloth n Ashes is one of the best albums ever.
    like this a lot, was given to me by somebody who introduced me to a load of amazing music. Also Secret South is good too, not so eerie religious and bluegrass influenced. And heard Folklore, which is best avoided imo.

If you like Sackcloth, check out Johnny Dowd who has a similar feel if not sound, like he's coming from the same landscape. .
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,230
    Excellent band...start with Sackcloth 'n' Ashes. The frontman's father was a fundamentalist preacher, so there are Christian themes, but they can be conflicted at times. Doesn't overwhelm the music, in my opinion.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    pjl44 wrote:
    Excellent band...start with Sackcloth 'n' Ashes. The frontman's father was a fundamentalist preacher, so there are Christian themes, but they can be conflicted at times. Doesn't overwhelm the music, in my opinion.

Good to know. I'm all for religous themes, but was afraid of getting into Christian Rock territory. It sounds like this is something I could appreciate.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    soclose wrote:
    I don't own any 16 Horsepower, but I am looking into getting a Woven Hand album. I'll be sure to check out 16 Horsepower if the Woven Hand works out for me.

I've read that the guy incorporates/ed some religious elements into his music. I'm assuming it's nothing preachy? Any thoughts on this, Strangest Tribe?

no it's not preachy at all...

any religious element in their music is happenstance and often dark.
    the Minions