Damien Rice - 9

reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
edited October 2007 in Other Music
Saw this in Woolworth's yesterday for £3.83, having seen a few people sing it's praises round here and never hearing any muisic by him before I decided I'd give it a go.(for that price)
Really glad I did especially loved the song Me, My Yoke and I, but the album as a whole is solid, shall pick up 0 as well me thinks.:)
Can not be arsed with life no more.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Agreed! 9 is a great album.... i think my favorite song is 9 Crimes... it's just so beautiful, and I love Lisa's voice... and the harmonies are so pretty....

although my favorite thing about Damien is his use of the cello... it's such a rich sound, i just really stands out to me....

I think i like O just a little bit better than 9. more memorable songs, IMO. you should definitly check it out... :)
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • I'm a big fan of Rootless Tree. That song has quite a bit of emotion in it.
  • maccimacci Posts: 1,057
    Damien rocks! I would highly recomment seeing him live......high energy & great emotion.

O and 9 are both great albums.
    My lips are shaking.......
  • huge damien fan,.

the pure emotion in the music is shocking. its intense and powerful. he pulls no punches.

that said, he is a complete idiot and jerk for firing lisa hannigan, and there were rumors he was or did fire the cellist as well
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    You've done yourself a favour, get O, and B-sides if you can. Look on ebay, you can pick it up as a double, and songs like the Professor, and Woman like a man make the b-sides an essential purchase. See him live if you can, I'm off to the Cardiff gig next month, it'll be my 3rd time this year I've seen him. That band is incredible live, I really mean that. juk
    and if you have 20 minutes to spare, check out this clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jKPqcLX1H5s
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • I thought I heard a Damien Rice song on one of two movies this weekend "Shooter" or "Georgia Rule" (obviously this was the wifes movie). Anyone know if a song appeared in either of those.
    huge damien fan,.

the pure emotion in the music is shocking. its intense and powerful. he pulls no punches.

that said, he is a complete idiot and jerk for firing lisa hannigan, and there were rumors he was or did fire the cellist as well

I don't know what happened there, but I saw him about 3 days after it became public, and he was awesome, really moody. I saw him 3 months later and someone yelled "where's Lisa", he was very complimentary about her, said she was in Ireland making music of her own that was inside her and had to come out. I just think he's such an individual performer that he will always have to be in total control of what he does, almost exclusively. Maybe he's a bit like Mr V ?
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Agreed! 9 is a great album.... i think my favorite song is 9 Crimes... it's just so beautiful, and I love Lisa's voice... and the harmonies are so pretty....

although my favorite thing about Damien is his use of the cello... it's such a rich sound, i just really stands out to me....

I think i like O just a little bit better than 9. more memorable songs, IMO. you should definitly check it out... :)

cello is just a gorgeous instrument. sometimes tis so mournful.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Saw this in Woolworth's yesterday for £3.83, having seen a few people sing it's praises round here and never hearing any muisic by him before I decided I'd give it a go.(for that price)
    Really glad I did especially loved the song Me, My Yoke and I, but the album as a whole is solid, shall pick up 0 as well me thinks.:)

starts quiet, gradually gets louder. and then all the instruments come in. the singing is intense. the whole thing towards the end. and then it all goes quiet again. totally understandable why this one stood out for you. and i bet you couldn't help but move with it. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • When Damien Rice sings; Girls get naked. He is such a panty-remover.
    Cock Fight.
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Tek Money wrote:
    When Damien Rice sings; Girls get naked. He is such a panty-remover.

I've seen him live and i don't recall myself or anyone other girl getting naked but there you have it.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    grey room is probably my favorite. although there are lots of other good ones on there.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    jamie uk wrote:
    You've done yourself a favour, get O, and B-sides if you can. Look on ebay, you can pick it up as a double, and songs like the Professor, and Woman like a man make the b-sides an essential purchase. See him live if you can, I'm off to the Cardiff gig next month, it'll be my 3rd time this year I've seen him. That band is incredible live, I really mean that. juk
    and if you have 20 minutes to spare, check out this clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jKPqcLX1H5s

i've been meaning to check him out because a new artist I started listening to, lists damien as his influence.

i am watching the you tube now and he reminds me a little bit of don mclean

http://wc10.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll

thanks for the youtube!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • I love Damien Rice! I think i prefer 9 to O, partly because 9 Crimes is my favourite song.

I'm seeing him live in Birmingham on Tuesday! Although i'm gutted that Lisa won't be there. Does he just not perform the songs that Lisa sang on? Because 9 Crimes wouldn't be the same with just Damien singing.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• I love Damien Rice! I think i prefer 9 to O, partly because 9 Crimes is my favourite song.

I'm seeing him live in Birmingham on Tuesday! Although i'm gutted that Lisa won't be there. Does he just not perform the songs that Lisa sang on? Because 9 Crimes wouldn't be the same with just Damien singing.

when i saw him at radio city, he sang her parts also
    not as good and really my only (minor) complaint with an otherwise excellent show
    not minor in that yes i love and miss lisa too, but that everything else about the show was amazing and his singing her parts didn't quite measure up

Enjoy!
    '96 7 shows / '97 3 shows / '98 15 shows
    '00 12 shows / '03 4 shows / '06 6 shows
    '08 3 shows / '09 5 shows / '10 6 shows
  • chimechime Posts: 7,838
    Well thanks to this thread reminding me he was on tour myself and another boardie managed to get front row side stage tix to see him saturday :)
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Woo hoo, seeing the man himself for the first time, this friday in Nottingham, can't wait.

I find 9 superior to 0, but that's just personal taste. 'Accidental Babies' and '9 Crimes' are my favourite songs by him.
    I used to be Cropduster84 for those who remember...
  • Blyss wrote:
    I've seen him live and i don't recall myself or anyone other girl getting naked but there you have it.

Debbie Downer.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    When Damien Rice sings; Girls get naked. He is such a panty-remover.

That's about the funniest phrase I ever heard. 'He is such a panty-remover'!!!hahahaha.
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    at a show last month he was talking about how it was sad to see the original band going separate ways - dont think he fired lisa - he's always complementary to her onstage anyways, and the cello players still in the band - her name is Vyienne Long and she's started doing solo sets in the last year - shes fucking BRILLIANT! very very unique songs and lyrics. and hilarious, and seems to have more than enough original material to release a full album. she has a short EP;

Check Out:
    Vyvienne Long - Birdtalk

Lisa Hannigan has written solo stuff too and it is TOTALLY different from Damo's stuff so maybe she just wanted to leave? shame anyway, her singing on "I Remember" is the sexiest singing in the world!
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    I thought Lisa dumped him for the dude from Snow?
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • Well, i saw Damien live last monday. I was impressed, had great seats and he sounded amazing. Having said that, i was a bit disappointed because he didn't play my two favourite songs! 9 Crimes and Older Chests were not played so i was a bit bummed out by that.

But Accidental Babies was BEAUTIFUL, and so was Rootless Tree with the reworked intro and first verse. He sang it solo with just the piano and changed the chorus too. It was lovely.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    yeah Rootless Tree rocks live....and take comfort in the fact that 9 Crimes aint the same at all without lisa - its obviously still good, but not tha same. did he do the "barman/drinking scene" during Cheers Darlin?
    thats cool