The Flaming Lips

reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
edited June 2008 in Other Music
Currently listening to Clouds Taste Metallic as we speak, was this the last amazing Lips album?
Everything since has had its moments but felt nowhere near as solid from start to finish, especially At War With the Mystics which had a lot of filler imo, what are your thoughts?
Can not be arsed with life no more.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'd disagree. Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi have stood the test of time, Yoshimi in particular doesn't have any filler in my opinion.

Clouds is a great album for sure, but they had to go in a different direction after Roland left.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Soft Bulletin is a classic. Yoshimi is close. But yes, Mystics lacked a bit.
    Horry Kow!
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Yeah, they haven't been quite shaking it up as much as they used to. Oh well, I still have faith.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    No, I only like their newer stuff the two albums before mystics were amazing... mystic wasn't that good except for W.A.N.D.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    No, I only like their newer stuff the two albums before mystics were amazing... mystic wasn't that good except for W.A.N.D.

I prefer the older stuff myself, She Dont Use Jelly is an anthem and CTM is just perfect throughout.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • I think Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin are their best and Mystics has some amazing songs but just not as strong over all. I definitely prefer their new direction since Bulletin, though....love the experimental aspect.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    definitely very hit or miss across the board... ya cant beat their live show though!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I only own-
    clouds
    soft bulliten
    yoshimi
    mystics

I enjoy them all though. I cna't say much for the older stuff because i don't have much of it as you can see.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Them in their acid-punk eightiesness was great. Just really out there in a much different way than they are now. They have actually mellowed, I think, in their strangeness.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Currently listening to Clouds Taste Metallic as we speak, was this the last amazing Lips album?
    Everything since has had its moments but felt nowhere near as solid from start to finish, especially At War With the Mystics which had a lot of filler imo, what are your thoughts?
    I will somewhat agree with you here. I thought they peaked with Transmissions though I rank Clouds really close to it. Soft Bulletin is a phenominal CD. Mystics had some filler for sure.

The only CD of theirs I have difficulty getting through is Telepathic Surgery. Needless to say, I love, love, love this band.
    HushBull wrote:
    Them in their acid-punk eightiesness was great. Just really out there in a much different way than they are now. They have actually mellowed, I think, in their strangeness.
    I hear ya, I don't know if they mellowed as much as the rest of the world caught up with 'em.