Options

soundgarden - badmotorfinger

The Great CornholioThe Great Cornholio Posts: 157
edited May 2006 in Other Music
motherfuck, wot a fucking sweet album.

i forgot how good it was, def sg best peice of work and prob in he top 5 albums of ALL time.

any other fans of the album????
...Pearl Jam, a group filled with pride, passion, and intricate musicianship. Their music is full of subtle textures, rich color, soul-searching power, imagery, and eerie dissonance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Yes I love it. I like it best when on the move. It is really cool to listen to it in your discmen.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    stonesgstringstonesgstring Posts: 4,613
    Yes I would say it's their best album. Such a raw sound to it.
    20/04/06 ~ 23/08/06 ~ 09/09/06

14/09/06, 16/09/06, 17/09/06, 19/09/06, 20/09/06 ~ The Stone lookalike leg of the 2006 tour

18/06/07 - Amazing, just amazing

04/07/06 ~Proud to be part of the AIC Astoria Crew~

Rockin' out to Creadles
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,726
    my favorite Soundgarden album
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    my favorite Soundgarden album

It is their best in my view, but I listen to Down on the upside more often.
    Badmotorfinger is very in your face and Down on the upside is easier to listen to while relaxing.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    BMF has that brittle hi frequency thing going on that makes it hard to listen to over and over again for me, but I do love the album.

My personal favorite is DOTU.
  • Options
    cassiecassie Posts: 18
    if i was on a deserted island id take superunknown, but your praise 4 badmotor is giving me incentive to buy it thanks guys!
  • Options
    Jam-fanJam-fan Posts: 70
    definitely a good soundgarden album, but overall i got to give the love here to Superunknown.
  • Options
    pjamdude69pjamdude69 Posts: 174
    Definitely my fave Soundgarden album- although Louder than Love and Down on the Upside run a very close 2nd. I remember getting it back in late '91, getting completely blown away by it all.. Jesus Christ Pose just sucked me in bigtime, Outshined, ROTW, Searching With My Good Eye Closed, Slaves and Bulldozers, the list goes on. Had it ripped off a few years ago and never got it again till a few months ago and have been listening to it alot lately. Great fuckin music, brings back some great memories too..
    "On the edge of a know-nothin' town, Feelin' quite superior in Den Haag"

11.05.93- Indio, CA
    07.13.98- Inglewood, CA
    10.28.00- San Bernardino, CA
    06.02.03- Irvine, CA
    07.23.06- The Gorge
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Although Superunknown is technically a far superior album, Badmotorfinger is definitely my favourite SG album, I just love how raw and powerful it sounds, and Cornell's vocals on that record are just jaw-dropping.
  • Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    someone really needs to release a remastered version of this album.
    Great album but hard to enjoy with the crappy quality.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    RiffJamRiffJam Posts: 143
    Great album. One of the very best of the period..
    London 28-10-96, London 29-10-96, London 20-04-06, Dublin 23-08-06, Reading 27-08-06, Marseille 09-09-06, Berlin 23-09-06, Athens 30-09-06, Madrid 09-06-07, London18-06-07, Copenhagen 26-06-07, Boston 28-06-08, London 11-08-09, Rotterdam 13-08-09, Manchester 17-08-09, London 18-08-09, Toronto 21-08-09, Philadelphia 30-10-09, Philadelphia 31-10-09, Manchester 20-06-12, Manchester 21-06-12, Stockholm 07-07-12, Leeds 08-07-14, Milton Keynes 11-07-14, Boston 05-08-16, Amsterdam 12-06-18, London 18-06-18, Krakow 03-07-18, London 18-07-18, Copenhagen 05-07-22, London 08-07-22
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    AxlUlrich wrote:

Word. I can't knock the guy because he's worked with some Incredible bands, but I have problems with Adam Kasper's ears. His top end on a few albums is practically unlistenable...but it might not be him. It might be the mastering, or god forbid...early digital recording. what was considered "state of the art" digital back in 1992 is pretty shitty by today's standards. Your computer recording system of today can sound better than a $200k Sony digital deck from the early 90s.
  • Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Yep. My favorite Soundgarden album.
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    AxlUlrich wrote:

I have no problem with it. I have lo-fi ears I guess. smile
    Leave it just the way it is, that's what i say.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I have no problem with it. I have lo-fi ears I guess. smile
    Leave it just the way it is, that's what i say.

My version is also of good quality and it's a great album. It's maybe ever their best album.
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    Hands down SG's best album...thank goodness other people agree on this!
  • Options
    Klumpie wrote:
    My version is also of good quality and it's a great album. It's maybe ever their best album.

Yes I am a bit torn about that. I really love Badmotorfinger for it's aggression and it's feeling of superiority. I however listen most to Down on the upside because of it's sounds like the color of the slave. Ochre is a great color mysterious and warm. The same goes for the album as far as I'm concerned.
    So I for ever remain in doubt on the subject of which of these two great albums is the best.
  • Options
    DE4173DE4173 Posts: 321
    Tomorrow Begat Tomorrow: An Oral History Of Soundgarden’s Badmotorfinger

https://www.spin.com/2021/10/soundgarden-badmotorfinger-oral-history-30th-anniversary/
    1993: 11/22 Little Rock
    1996; 9/28 New York
    1997: 11/14 Oakland, 11/15 Oakland
    1998: 7/5 Dallas, 7/7 Albuquerque, 7/8 Phoenix, 7/10 San Diego, 7/11 Las Vegas
    2000: 10/17 Dallas
    2003: 4/3 OKC
    2012: 11/17 Tulsa(EV), 11/18 Tulsa(EV)
    2013: 11/16 OKC
    2014: 10/8 Tulsa
    2022: 9/20 OKC
    2023: 9/13 Ft Worth, 9/15 Ft Worth
  • Options
    DE4173 said:
    Tomorrow Begat Tomorrow: An Oral History Of Soundgarden’s Badmotorfinger

https://www.spin.com/2021/10/soundgarden-badmotorfinger-oral-history-30th-anniversary/
    Great read 
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,912
    I always preferred Badmotorfinger to Superunknown. Down on the Upside was the first Soundgarden album I bought and I worked my backwards through the catalogue. After listening to BMF I thought, that’s their best. That’s the one I go back to when I want to listen to Soundgarden. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,228
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    That was a good read, thanks for sharing.
    One of my favorite albums, by any band.  I am always up to listen, no matter what my mood.

Slaves & Bulldozers is my favorite track on the record.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Some things I forgot I knew or never knew: Seems like Chris and Jeff were really tight. More so than Chris and Ed (not that it’s a contest). I forgot about the bassist between Hiro and Shepard. 
    And I’m not buying Shepard saying when he gets pissed it’s at himself though it looks like he’s pissed at everyone. I saw them a handful of times between 93-96 and when he was flipping off the crowd, turning his back, yelling at the crowd, he was pissed at himself? I could see it at one show, maybe someone in the crowd pissed him off, but nearly every show, guy seemed like a dick. 

And I loved the descriptions of what they were trying to do with each song and at times subvert expectations. They are truly unique. I’ve always thought for a band that wasn’t around for 20 years, they crushed it with King Animal. At the time, and now, what a superior album to say Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    edited October 2021
    Some things I forgot I knew or never knew: Seems like Chris and Jeff were really tight. More so than Chris and Ed (not that it’s a contest). I forgot about the bassist between Hiro and Shepard. 
    And I’m not buying Shepard saying when he gets pissed it’s at himself though it looks like he’s pissed at everyone. I saw them a handful of times between 93-96 and when he was flipping off the crowd, turning his back, yelling at the crowd, he was pissed at himself? I could see it at one show, maybe someone in the crowd pissed him off, but nearly every show, guy seemed like a dick. 

And I loved the descriptions of what they were trying to do with each song and at times subvert expectations. They are truly unique. I’ve always thought for a band that wasn’t around for 20 years, they crushed it with King Animal. At the time, and now, what a superior album to say Backspacer or Lightning Bolt. 
    yeah KA was a great album...sad that it was their last

We saw them at the Paramount in Louisville for that tour and they blew the roof off.  They closed with Rowing which was awesome.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I posted something this morning but this is an excerpt that was specifically about them touring Badmotofinger. Found this funny story in an email from 20 yrs ago with a really cool woman I then lost touch with, she lived in Seattle and was right at the heart of the launches of Soundgarden, PJ and Nirvana. No idea how to reach her, would love to get her permission to post a bunch of things she said, she's an incredible story teller and she talks about music from the heart. If you're out there, say hello!

Here's a part of her email about a practice show for touring Badmotorfinger:

"Chris Cornell has a sense of humor though. When they were getting ready to go on tour for the Badmotorfinger album, they played a string of dates at RKNDY and the Offramp to amp up I guess. This was when he still had his long beautiful hair and the ladies were handed drool bibs at the door - haha! But seriously, the first show at The Offramp was sardine packed. All hot and sweaty - too many humans not enough ventilation. The show starts and he comes out in a sweater. I'm thinking, that's not going to last for long in this heat. Sure enough a few songs in and off goes the sweater - only to find a t-shirt underneath! Then that t-shirt goes and yet another t-shirt underneath! He must have had on like 4 shirts that he used to toy with the women in the audience. When the final shirt went and skin was visible, he had two huge flower stickers over his nipples. It was the greatest thing how he could make fun of it like that!! The show itself was rocking. So loud and Kim Thayil walking back and forth creating those wonderful sounds on his guitar. If I remember right they must have played about 4 shows in a few week period. I was loving it."