Aussie Pub Rock!!

AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
edited December 2006 in Other Music
From the 70's and 80's with AC/DC, Midnight Oil, The Angels, Cold Chisel, Split Enz, Hunters and Collectors through to the top Aussie rock bands of today, Wolfmother, Silverchair, Grinspoon and The Living End. I reckon we get spoilt rotten here in Oz.

Did you get to see Angus go mental for $10 at the local RSL. Tell us your story and any other Aussie Rock stuff!!
I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dude, your forgot Radio Birdman and You Am I..

Frikken amazing bands ! :):)

Both rock harder live than any of the bands in your list :)

Except for AC/DC!
  • Dude, your forgot Radio Birdman and You Am I..

Except for AC/DC!

Yes! You Am I are brilliant live
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    Ummm.. I'm going to be showing my age here but I saw The Angels, Midnight Oil, INXs and Cold Chisel back in the 1980s when they were just pub bands.

I can remember Michael Hutchence being a skinny pimply faced young thing and also vaguely remember Cold Chisel back when Jimmy Barnes was a big alcoholic. I remember him being so drunk one night he pulled his pants down on stage... :eek:
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• NossieNossie Posts: 1,039
    Wolfmother is certainly a band with a big future... it's like they've just come out of no-where with a huge record.... go get 'em boys...

:D
    When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do...

Pearl Jam - Adelaide: 1995, 1998, 2003, 2006, 2009, 2014
    Eddie Vedder Solo - Adelaide: 27th & 28th March 2011, Melbourne 16th 2014
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Dude, your forgot Radio Birdman and You Am I..

Except for AC/DC!

That's it keep 'em coming. When ya see them. Do tell!!
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • You Am I suck balls.Purple Sneakers is their only song that rocks,they're so god damn boring...and please dont mention Jet,its like they are You Am I part 2
  • You Am I suck balls.Purple Sneakers is their only song that rocks,they're so god damn boring...and please dont mention Jet,its like they are You Am I part 2

Sorry mate they don't. If you think that they are boring I recommend seeing them live as they are easily on par with Pearl Jam. I do wish that they would be a bit more experimental though.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    E.K wrote:
    Ummm.. I'm going to be showing my age here but I saw The Angels, Midnight Oil, INXs and Cold Chisel back in the 1980s when they were just pub bands.

I can remember Michael Hutchence being a skinny pimply faced young thing and also vaguely remember Cold Chisel back when Jimmy Barnes was a big alcoholic. I remember him being so drunk one night he pulled his pants down on stage... :eek:

i too remember a very young michael hutchence pulling off his jim morrison moves. actually come to think of it i was underage. ahh the good old days. :D
    i used to have a big love for the Angels.
    bands that kick my arse every time i see them: grinspoon, cog, the butterfly effect, dallas crane, the aforementioned YOU AM I, the fumes, the drones, the mess hall. used to love seeing peabody but they seem to have disappeared. saw dan kelly and the alpha males for the first time last friday. will be seeing them again for sure.

has anyone seen six foot hick? they have to be witnessed at least once. there was self flagellation, setting on fire of chest hair, dancing along the bar at the annandale and other general idiocy.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Man, I would have killed to have seen Midnight Oil in their early days. I recently read their biography "Beds are Burning" and those pub shows sounded like they were completely off the hook. Apparently the pubs were so full of people, and it would get so hot and sweaty on stage that the band had to suck back oxygen backstage during encore breaks just so they could continue.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,709
    direwolf74 wrote:
    Man, I would have killed to have seen Midnight Oil in their early days. I recently read their biography "Beds are Burning" and those pub shows sounded like they were completely off the hook. Apparently the pubs were so full of people, and it would get so hot and sweaty on stage that the band had to suck back oxygen backstage during encore breaks just so they could continue.

Yeah it was cool. I walked past Peter Garrett once. He is so very, very tall.
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• Add screaming jets

if u live in perth ull be able to see some old mother fuckers rocking out here - http://bonscottconcert.com.au/index.html

cant wait
    Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution...

Hearts and thoughts they fade, fade away...
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    direwolf74 wrote:

i remember being covered in peter garrett sweat on more than one occasion. those close enough to the action could have if so desired, cloned a little peter garrett of their own. hot, frenetic, dealing with boozy aussie blokes, knowing you were getting the show of your life every time you saw them. so much better than these days of political correctness, litigation and over zealous 'security guards'.
    oh and rob hirst. the best drummer in any universe.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Oils are simply the best Oz band of all time,god I miss 'em :(
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    oh and rob hirst. the best drummer in any universe.

That guy was amazing! Hell, the entire band was f**king incredible. I only got to see them once back in 1993, but it still stands as one of the single greatest rock shows I've ever seen. They were co-headlining with The Tragically Hip across Canada on the Another Roadside Attraction Tour, and my friends and I were lucky enough to see the show in Calgary. I remember reading an interview with the Hip's Gord Downie where he mentioned that having to go on after Midnight Oil was a huge challenge for them and it was like being kicked in the ass every night.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I loved the "barbed Wire Ball" concerts with the Angels and the screaming jets, damn they put on a rocking show, there was nothing like going to a pub/small club and seeing a great aussie band doing their stuff... YOU AM I are fantastic live, that band just rocks and continues to get better with age! I agree with the original poster we are very spolit here in OZ :D