Bluegrass Music

know1know1 Posts: 6,794
edited May 2007 in Other Music
Does anyone else like Bluegrass Music? Over the past several years, I find myself listening to it and enjoying it more and more. The musicianship is amazing. I wouldn't say that I could listen to it constantly, but I sure enjoy it periodically.
The only people we should try to get even with...
...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    I'm no bluegrass scholar, but I do enjoy Alison Krauss & Union Station. Rhonda Vincent & the Rage are good, too.

They're not strictly bluegrass, but I also dig Nickel Creek and Old Crow Medicine Show.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    cutback wrote:

Yeah - that's the kind of stuff I like. I didn't know that Steve Martin played the banjo that well.

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,137
    I'm being serious when I say this....you need to take a trip to the Appalachian Mountains. You should be able to find some good live Bluegrass music.
  • desandrewsdesandrews Posts: 143
    The Little Grasscals is a good compilation CD.
    Del McCoury is great.
    Doc Watson is also a good one.

I too enjoy Nickel Creek but only have one of their CDs. I like the old school Flatt & Scruggs, Foggy Mountain Breakdown type stuff. Fingers moving 100 miles a minute and the harmonies... I wish I had the real high bluegrass voice, that'd be awesome.
    desandrews wrote:
    The Little Grasscals is a good compilation CD.
    Del McCoury is great.
    Doc Watson is also a good one.

I too enjoy Nickel Creek but only have one of their CDs. I like the old school Flatt & Scruggs, Foggy Mountain Breakdown type stuff. Fingers moving 100 miles a minute and the harmonies... I wish I had the real high bluegrass voice, that'd be awesome.

Yeah - that's the stuff I like too. Thanks for the suggestions. I also like Ralph Stanley quite a bit. Even his A capella songs.

I was just listening to a Del McCoury song on Slacker.com

I'm being serious when I say this....you need to take a trip to the Appalachian Mountains. You should be able to find some good live Bluegrass music.

Anywhere in VA? I live in Chicago but am on a temporary assignment in Fairfax through the end of the year. We went camping in the Blue Ridge mountains a couple of weekends ago, it was beautiful. If you know of any particular places within driving distance, pass them on, I would love to check it out while I'm here.

It's funny that you say that too, because when we were driving to the mountains I had this overwhelming compulsion to play the one Nickel Creek CD that I have.
  • ballbagballbag Posts: 69
    yonder mountain string band.

*slaps knee*

*taps foot*

Not that I was watching it, but I had on public television last night and they had a Bluegrass band and I listened to it while I went about my business in the house. They were called Hog Operation.

There are bluegrass festivals and shows every weekend if you're near the Appalachians at all (KY, VA, TN, etc.)

know1 wrote:
    Yeah - that's the stuff I like too. Thanks for the suggestions. I also like Ralph Stanley quite a bit. Even his A capella songs.

I was just listening to a Del McCoury song on Slacker.com

I love watching old episodes of Andy Griffith where the one family comes down out of the mountains into Mayberry every once in a while. They've got the dad, who is Uncle Jesse from the Dukes of Hazzard I believe, a bunch of sons and one pretty fine daughter. None of the sons ever talk, the daughter's always hitting on Andy and they'll all be riding in the back of the pickup truck just playing away and singing. Ahhh, good stuff.
  • Boss302Boss302 Posts: 69
    I grew up in south central PA, near Gettysburg and we have bluegrass festivals throughout the summer.

Actually this weekend I'm going to a memorial day/college graduation party featuring a very good bluegrass band out of northern maryland.
    And you may see me today
    with an illegal smile
    it don't cost very much
    but it lasts a long while
    won't you please tell the man
    i didn't kill anyone
    i'm just tryin to have me some fun
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    I'm gonna plug my buddy's bluegrass band here. They're called Old School Freight Train and they are damn good. They play sort of modern bluegrass and latin jazz. Their lineup is acoustic guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, and percussion. They're signed to Dave Grisman's label and he guests on mandolin on their debut album.
    know1 wrote:
    There are bluegrass festivals and shows every weekend if you're near the Appalachians at all (KY, VA, TN, etc.)
    Yeah, that's what I was referencing. Add in NC as well...one of the better bluegrass staples that I've been to is this: http://www.franklinnc.com/pickin.html
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146

:D

i love that you had to qualify your statement......:p
    desandrews wrote:
    Anywhere in VA? I live in Chicago but am on a temporary assignment in Fairfax through the end of the year. We went camping in the Blue Ridge mountains a couple of weekends ago, it was beautiful. If you know of any particular places within driving distance, pass them on, I would love to check it out while I'm here.

It's funny that you say that too, because when we were driving to the mountains I had this overwhelming compulsion to play the one Nickel Creek CD that I have.
    I'm sure there are some good ones in Virginia, but I don't know of them. A quick google search produced:
    http://www.gravesmountain.com/bluegrass.htm
    http://www.christopherrunbluegrass.com/
    http://www.vabluegrass.com/Venues.html

looks like that last link provides info for the whole state

And I love the Blue Ridge mountains. Travelling up near the Parkway this weekend. :)
    cutback wrote:
    :D

i love that you had to qualify your statement......:p
    :p

If I don't qualify it, people probably roll their eyes and think to themselves, "What is that hick/redneck talking about?" :rolleyes:
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    :p

If I don't qualify it, people probably roll their eyes and think to themselves, "What is that hick/redneck talking about?" :rolleyes:

haha....or just think of this guy....:D:D
  • ZanneZanne Posts: 899
    rhinomagic wrote:
    I'm no bluegrass scholar, but I do enjoy Alison Krauss & Union Station. Rhonda Vincent & the Rage are good, too.

They're not strictly bluegrass, but I also dig Nickel Creek and Old Crow Medicine Show.

Old Crow Medicine Show kicks butt. I like Alison Krauss as well.
    Just me
    I'm sure there are some good ones in Virginia, but I don't know of them. A quick google search produced:
    http://www.gravesmountain.com/bluegrass.htm
    http://www.christopherrunbluegrass.com/
    http://www.vabluegrass.com/Venues.html

looks like that last link provides info for the whole state

And I love the Blue Ridge mountains. Travelling up near the Parkway this weekend. :)

Sweet. Thanks. I was actually just googling myself but hadn't run across the last one. Camping and bluegrass, what could be better.
  • edmosquitoedmosquito Posts: 69
    Check out Old and In The Way (Band and Album)
    "You would be punctilious in assuming that."
  • ballbag wrote:
    yonder mountain string band.

*slaps knee*

*taps foot*

those guys are awesome.

del mccoury band, old crow medicine show, and the "grandfather" bill monroe are also great.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I love me some Hayseed Dixie.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    I'm a pretty big Nickel Creek fan, all 3 albums are good stuff. Chris Thile, the mandolinist has some solo albums that are really great. He's a ridiculously amazing musician, should see him live just go at it. Awesome.
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    edmosquito wrote:
    Check out Old and In The Way (Band and Album)

Beat me to it. Great album, turned me on to bluegrass. Stanley Brothers are a great intro to bluegrass too.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball