Queens of the Stone Age years...

release30release30 Posts: 2,051
edited July 2008 in Other Music
Oliveri and Josh Homme were seen as the only two permanent members of Queens of the Stone Age. Being friends since childhood, the two meshed well together. Oliveri's punk background brought an element of danger, attitude and speed to the Queens' music, and live shows in particular. This often came to contrast frontman Homme, who often extended live versions of songs, with such 3-minute radio hits like "Go with the Flow" often pushed into 20-minute extended jams, featuring psychedelic guitar solos and metallic riffs. The combination of the two, however, often produced surprisingly complementary results.

Oliveri's unique screech-singing style adhering to the hardcore-aesthetic made him easily distinguishable on songs such as "Six Shooter" from the album Songs for the Deaf, as opposed to Homme's usually melodic grunge-style falsetto.

After recording three albums and six years of touring with Queens of the Stone Age, he exited the group in early 2004 due to a conflict between him and frontman Joshua Homme. Nick allegedly developed a pattern of destructive behavior that Homme couldn't handle. Homme stated: "Everywhere we go, Nick is like a whirlwind passing through. And I'm sick of being the one that has to clean up the mess all the time." Josh claimed that he was fed up with Oliveri's disrespect towards their fans and the destruction that he caused at gigs. Oliveri's last gig with the band was in Perth, Australia on January 11, 2004. During "No One Knows", Oliveri smashed his bass, then threw it into the crowd and stormed off stage. The rest of the band followed him off stage, only to return and finish the song and encore - minus Oliveri.

A year later, Homme told Zane Lowe from BBC Radio 1 that he and Nick had fallen out over several third party claims that Oliveri was violent towards his (Oliveri's) girlfriend.[1] In 2005, Queens of the Stone Age released their first album since Oliveri's departure, Lullabies to Paralyze.

Anyone know the person who has Nick's bass???lol
Conversations getting dull
There's a constant ringing in my ears
Sense of humor's void and numb
And I'm bored to tears.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    No but Kyuss are the best so josh should stop fucking around and re form Kyuss
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    hehe, was wondering where that was going :)
  • i think we need to re-send the memo that nick was not an original member or queens, nor did he play on the first album. thanks.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Queens have been just fine without Nick Oliveri. Their records without him have been very good.
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    I saw Nick O on tv a while back, he was playing acoustic and this guy was 'singing'. I have to say it was about the most rubbish thing I've ever seen on TV. What the hell is this 'project' of his, and who the hell is that dood with him? He was bloody shocking.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • jamie uk wrote:
    I saw Nick O on tv a while back, he was playing acoustic and this guy was 'singing'. I have to say it was about the most rubbish thing I've ever seen on TV. What the hell is this 'project' of his, and who the hell is that dood with him? He was bloody shocking.
    Is that Mondo Generator you're talking about? I haven't heard anything by them, but I heard good things about them... I know Lanegan's done some stuff with them, which always piques my interest. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    we need more music from josh - screw nick, he missed the boat when he left this band. you can call them stoner rock or whatever - they just flat out rock!
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    i think we need to re-send the memo that nick was not an original member or queens, nor did he play on the first album. thanks.

Unless you credit his answer phone message mwahhahahahaha.:)

JK Nick is not on album one, Josh played the bass also on this album.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Is that Mondo Generator you're talking about? I haven't heard anything by them, but I heard good things about them... I know Lanegan's done some stuff with them, which always piques my interest. :D

Nah it wasnt Mondo, it was just a one of thing they did, I saw it as well, cant for the fucking life of me remember the name of them though.
  • release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Nick has played in Turbonegro also...

I saw them open for QOTSA and they rocked!!!
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • YieldedYielded Posts: 839
    Nah it wasnt Mondo, it was just a one of thing they did, I saw it as well, cant for the fucking life of me remember the name of them though.

I think you might be referring to the Uncontrollable, his acoustic side-project with Blag Dahlia from the Dwarves (who are an awesome band by the way).
    "We get these pills to swallow... how they stick in your throat... Tastes like gold..."
  • RAT!RAT! Posts: 115
    queens definatetly took a turn for the worse when nick got kicked out of the

band. though the reasons he got kicked out may be justified.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    fuck Nick. I like the last two albums best anyway.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    I miss Nick. :( I like the chaos factor that he brought to those guys. He's definitely missed live IMO. He was chatty and more interactive w/ the crowd than Josh is. I heard the reason for the split was that he was too annoying on the road, always causing problems and just partying out of control. Even though that's kinda what the Queens are all about to an extent.

Plus he sounded good on Auto-Pilot :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7wnvIq638Q and other songs when the album needed a change of pace.
    NERDS!
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    I miss the variety Queens of the Stone age provided. I don't much care for a full CD of Josh Homme singing. The band was best on Rated R and Songs For The Deaf with Homme, Oliveri, and Lanegan sharing singing duties.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    release30 wrote:
    Oliveri and Josh Homme were seen as the only two permanent members of Queens of the Stone Age

Wrong.

Nick didn't even come in till the second album, Rated R. Left after the third. And when I say left, I mean he got kicked out. Kicked out by the only person who could do that, because after all it's J-Ho's band.
    That said, I wish Nick would come back. Though I really dig Alain's playing on LTP and Era Vulgaris, my two favorites of QOTSA.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • KannKann Posts: 1,146
    release30 wrote:
    with such 3-minute radio hits like "Go with the Flow" often pushed into 20-minute extended jams,
    If anyone has that 20 minute version of "Go with the Flow" I'll take it :)
    I also miss nick and lanegan both, qotsa were great with 3 different voices it made rated r and songs for the deaf more surprising.
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    Yeah I miss the unpredictability of Nick and Mark, but like it or not at the end of the day its all about Josh. And I agree reform Kyuss they were the bomb.
    jsk175 wrote:
    Yeah I miss the unpredictability of Nick and Mark, but like it or not at the end of the day its all about Josh. And I agree reform Kyuss they were the bomb.

unpredictably of Mark? what the hell did he ever do except sing lead on like 4 songs?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • unpredictably of Mark? what the hell did he ever do except sing lead on like 4 songs?
    Well, to be fair, he co-wrote a bunch of stuff too, but that's not really the point.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    Well, to be fair, he co-wrote a bunch of stuff too, but that's not really the point.

The more stuff mark writes the better, more Lanegan please.
    In all honesty I love every Queens album, Era Vulgaris I enjoy from start to finish I would have hoped for more Lanegan on RITR, but the song works as it is, Lullabies is probs my least favourite Queens album, but I like it more than most favourite albums by other bands I like.
    They fucking kick arse live, easily the best band I've seen and that was this year, In The Fade was awesome even with Josh singing it instead of Mark, Suture up your Future was mindblowing, Monsters, First it Giveth everything was spot on.
  • The more stuff mark writes the better, more Lanegan please.
    In all honesty I love every Queens album, Era Vulgaris I enjoy from start to finish I would have hoped for more Lanegan on RITR, but the song works as it is, Lullabies is probs my least favourite Queens album, but I like it more than most favourite albums by other bands I like.
    They fucking kick arse live, easily the best band I've seen and that was this year, In The Fade was awesome even with Josh singing it instead of Mark, Suture up your Future was mindblowing, Monsters, First it Giveth everything was spot on.
    It's probably not a popular point of view, but I think the best thing QOTSA ever did with Mark was Skeletal History, off Mark's Here Comes That Weird Chill. That song is fucking dark.
    It's probably not a popular point of view, but I think the best thing QOTSA ever did with Mark was Skeletal History, off Mark's Here Comes That Weird Chill. That song is fucking dark.

I need to get Weird Chill, it's one of the few Mark discs I dont own, I love Bubblegum and the guys from Queens are all over that as well, amazing album.

yeah I know that. but someone said that he and Nick brought "unpredictability" the Queens. Maybe Nick did (by playing naked, yelling and screaming, being a loser, etc.) but Mark just sang.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • yeah I know that. but someone said that he and Nick brought "unpredictability" the Queens. Maybe Nick did (by playing naked, yelling and screaming, being a loser, etc.) but Mark just sang.
    It's unsubstatiated rumour-mongering by me, but there's a good probability that he brought a lot of heroin to the party. :o:p
    It's unsubstatiated rumour-mongering by me, but there's a good probability that he brought a lot of heroin to the party. :o:p

probably

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • mensanemensane Posts: 912
    it is all opinion...

Lullabies is my favorite QOTSA album.
  • strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    unpredictably of Mark?

Haha, I thought that too! Although he is a legend!!

I miss Nick - think he brought a little extra to the band. It's a shame, but shit happens.
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>