never the machine forever

ryantremorryantremor Posts: 28
edited August 2006 in Other Music
what an awesome song...could this be one of the best rock vocal performances in history? btw, i think that down on the upside absolutely blows everything else in the soundgarden catologue away.
I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
- Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Zero Chance, Tighter and Tighter, Blow up the outside world, Burden in my Hand, Overfloater, Ty Cobb, Dusty, Rhinosaur, and Pretty Noose are better.. and that's only on DOTUS... but yeah it's a great song too :p
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Zero Chance, Tighter and Tighter, Blow up the outside world, Burden in my Hand, Overfloater, Ty Cobb, Dusty, Rhinosaur, and Pretty Noose are better.. and that's only on DOTUS... but yeah it's a great song too :p

i'm not saying it is soundgarden's best song nor even the best song on down on the upside. I just wanted to mention it because i love the song, love the vocals, and i don't think i've seen it talked about very much. I think overfloater is my favorite on the album. Well the more i think about it pretty much every song is awesome.
    I caught a flash of flash of your smile through the fog of a dream, I'll have a hell of a time I clearly see, I can't be by your side, see you when I sleep.
    - Jerry Cantrell "Gone"
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I agree 100%... no one ever mentions this song, and it's definitely in my top 5 on the album. Great vocals, great harder sound to it. Written by Kim Thayil, too... at least the lyrics were. Either he or Ben Shepherd wrote the music.

It's nice that the song gets some love.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    we need a Soundgarden Appreciation Thread around here :D
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    we need a Soundgarden Appreciation Thread around here :D

LMAO there is one somewhere in the depths of this section, theres a Cornell appreciation thread as well, but the amount of Soundgarden, Cornell and Audioslave threads theres been lately is kick arse.:D
    And thumbs up to NTMF classic song sometimes on some days DOTU overtakes BMF as my fave Soundgarden album, some days.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • ryantremor wrote:
    i'm not saying it is soundgarden's best song nor even the best song on down on the upside. .
    ah i misread that you thought the song blew everything else they did away.

whoopsies.

Loveeeeeee love love the album though.. all the soundgarden albums as a matter of fact..

"Make our day"
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Great song, but IMO, Cornell's best vocal performance ever was on Nothing To Say
  • karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    I don't know if it's their best album. It is the Soundgarden album I most often listen to. I really like Badmotorfinger as well, although I only listen to it when I have that mood. I like them both better than Superunknown, but that one kicks ass as well. I love Blow up the outside world. I even want it played at my funeral. Not that it is any time soon, but if you are in the neighbourhood and you're in the mood for a good tune then join the party.;) Never the machine forever is a great Thayil song, and a very cool title.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are both way better than DOTU. DOTU lacks that energy or something that the other two have.
  • Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are both way better than DOTU. DOTU lacks that energy or something that the other two have.
    that's true, but it makes up for it in experimentation and melody.

It's more unique than the rest of the SG records. Who could've forseen a song like Overfloater.. still definetly sounds like Soundgarden, but it's unique at the same time!

"Make our day"
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Badmotorfinger and Superunknown are both way better than DOTU. DOTU lacks that energy or something that the other two have.

I don;t know, if you take the first 9 songs on DOTU it's as good as pretty much anything out there, add Bleed together as track ten and it's sickly good
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    What about Boot Camp as the album closer? That has to be one of the best closers on any record out there, up there with over now by AIC. Great way to cap off a great bunch of albums.

My only problem with Boot Camp is that its not longer.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • huahhuah Posts: 18
    Horribly underappreciated song :) It really grew on me (at first I thought it was uneven and unpleasantly jarring) and now it's probably one of my favorites.
    Matt Cameron is awesome.
  • ohh good call!!! LOVE dotu, the whole album is amazing. it's hard for me to pick a fave soundgarden cd, but if i had to, dotu would be it. to me it sounds like a mix of all their other cds and then some, it has songs that sound like they could be on any of their other records but have more depth. i just love it and can't get enough of it! :)
  • My only problem with Boot Camp is that its not longer.:)
    Agreed.

I usually listen to it twice ;)

"Make our day"
    My only problem with Boot Camp is that its not longer.:)

No it is like dessert this way. It is the perfect ending to a fab meal.:D
    haha I like that, I guess that makes Ty Cobb the heartburn..

Sorry if that was lame

Umh it ain't lame. But that could be because I don't know what it means.:D I have an idea though. Care to enlighten me?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    What about Boot Camp as the album closer? That has to be one of the best closers on any record out there, up there with over now by AIC. Great way to cap off a great bunch of albums.

"boot Camp" is one of those really simple songs thats just incredible...gives me chills

Amazing fucking album, so underrated
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    Umh it ain't lame. But that could be because I don't know what it means.:D I have an idea though. Care to enlighten me?

... have you been very, very hungry and you took a bite or a sip of something and it felt like your chest was burning? I think that's it.