Smashing Pumpkins/Oceansize

ChrisChris Posts: 116
edited February 2008 in Other Music
Sorry folks - had to share this as none of my friends would appreciate how excited I am. Just found out that Oceansize are supporting Smashing Pumpkins at Manchester on Friday night. What a bill - only worry is that crowd wont be great, but Oceansize are one of best British bands around just now.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oceansize is fucking amazing. i wish they would tour the states
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    Oops! Just started a new thread asking about tomorrow's gig before I saw this one!

Not familiar with Oceansize. What's their sound like? Worth getting in early then to check them out?
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    They are a Manc based rock band - post rock type of thing (although I struggle with my genre titles). A bit like Isis but singing rather than screaming. Or a slightly noisier Mogwai with vocals.

I would definitely get there early - they are one of the most underated bands around, and certainly as good as there is in UK. Check them out on Myspace to sample a few tunes. IMO opinion Ornament/The Last Wrongs is their best track. An all time fave of mine.
    I've done just that, cheers. Like what I've heard so far too!
    Sound a very interesting band. I'll deffo give them a listen tomorrow night.

One review I read of their latest album was interesting. Pink Floyd, Mogwai, My Bloody Valentine & Tool were mentioned as well as one track being described as "like Jane's Addiction if Layne Staley was the singer" !!!!

Good enough for me!
    Cymru Am Byth

1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    So, what did you think? I thougt Oceansize were superb, and they played Last Ornament to close which was beautiful.
    I was pretty disappointed with the Pumpkins - set just never seemed to get momentum, and to be honest by the last few songs I was bored to tears and glad he didnt bother with an encore. Im not a Pumpkins addict, but have all their records so familiar with all their stuff, but after about half way through I thought it was average at best.
    I thought that while they were on SP were fantastic. By that, I mean the quality of the playing. They did seem to lack charisma, and because of that the crowd never seemed to get going!
    I thought Corgan's guitar playing were outstanding, even if it got a bit self indulgent towards the end!!
    I was surprised at how good his voice was. I've never seen him as having particularly strong vocal, but he was very good in a live setting.
    Them not coming out for the encore suited me, it meant I just managed to catch the last train home !!!

Overall I enjoyed the show, support Oceansize certainly a band that I'll be checking out now.

The accoustic version of '1979' was worth the admission price alone. Brilliant.
    Cymru Am Byth