Twilight Singers - Somebody else must like them???

ChrisChris Posts: 116
edited July 2006 in Other Music
Went to see Twilight Singers last night in Manchester. Once again fantastic. Greg Dulli is a genius and one of the best frontmen I have ever seen. They put on such a fantastic show. Great to see them in small venues but how he has not made millions Ill never know.

Anyone else a fan?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=179571&highlight=twilight+singers

    whigs fan and twilight singers here. what was the setlist?? did they do alot off powder burns?
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Have you seen the Afghans? Never got to see them and only recently got some of their older stuff (Gentleman on heavy rotation!).

    Rubbish at song titles apart from PJ - they played most of Powder Burns (more than I thought they would) and a fair bit from Blackberry Belle. Opened with Im ready.

    None of Afghans song (66). There were also a couple I didn't know.

    They are in Sheffield in August with Mark Lanegan in tow which I really can't wait for.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Chris wrote:
    Have you seen the Afghans? Never got to see them and only recently got some of their older stuff (Gentleman on heavy rotation!).

    Rubbish at song titles apart from PJ - they played most of Powder Burns (more than I thought they would) and a fair bit from Blackberry Belle. Opened with Im ready.

    None of Afghans song (66). There were also a couple I didn't know.

    They are in Sheffield in August with Mark Lanegan in tow which I really can't wait for.

    yes i saw the afghan whigs in cincinnati during their prime.. i miss them but greg carries on. t.s.'s powder burns is pretty damn good too. was greg chain smoking? he was when i saw him in chapel hill for the blackberry belle tour.... lol
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • ChrisChris Posts: 116
    Oh yeah - never stopped! It really adds to his charisma though doesn't it? He'd be half as good otherwise. He was drinking pints of water though. Can't imagine he did that back in the day...although it was bloody hot. As Jeff Klein (support) commented, us brits have not quite got the air con thing.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    yeah.. powder burns is about fighting his addictions. i don't know how he sings and smokes so much... he's as smooth and smokin' as you can be!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvn1CRiwEas
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 28,899
    me me me. thought i'd just jump on into this little lovefest. not at all surprised to see you here k. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,649
    Love Twilight Singers and the Whigs, I really wanted to go to one of the UK dates, but I've spent so much money on tickets this summer I had to show some restraint!!!

    I will however be watching them at Reading, which I can't wait for. Particularly looking forward to hearing some of the new music, Powder Burns is an incredible record.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 45,276
    I just discovered them right now, and I like them a lot! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 4,790
    My fav band of the 21st century
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,049
    Chris said:
    Have you seen the Afghans? Never got to see them and only recently got some of their older stuff (Gentleman on heavy rotation!).

    Rubbish at song titles apart from PJ - they played most of Powder Burns (more than I thought they would) and a fair bit from Blackberry Belle. Opened with Im ready.

    None of Afghans song (66). There were also a couple I didn't know.

    They are in Sheffield in August with Mark Lanegan in tow which I really can't wait for.
    Hope you get some Gutter Twins songs
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 45,276
    kramer73 said:
    Chris said:
    Have you seen the Afghans? Never got to see them and only recently got some of their older stuff (Gentleman on heavy rotation!).

    Rubbish at song titles apart from PJ - they played most of Powder Burns (more than I thought they would) and a fair bit from Blackberry Belle. Opened with Im ready.

    None of Afghans song (66). There were also a couple I didn't know.

    They are in Sheffield in August with Mark Lanegan in tow which I really can't wait for.
    Hope you get some Gutter Twins songs
    I wonder if he remembers if he did? It was 13 years ago. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,328
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just discovered them right now, and I like them a lot! :)
    Do you like Afghan Whigs and Gutter Twins? I’m a huge Greg Dulli fan, and some of my favourite songs of his are on Twilight Singers albums. I got to see them in Sydney on the Powder Burns tour. Mark Lanegan was with them for a few songs (before they toured as Gutter Twins), and I was lucky enough to meet Greg and Mark after the show.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 4,790
    Blackberry Belle and Powder Burns are just unreal albums.  The other CDs have some great tracks too on par with whats on those two. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 45,276
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just discovered them right now, and I like them a lot! :)
    Do you like Afghan Whigs and Gutter Twins? I’m a huge Greg Dulli fan, and some of my favourite songs of his are on Twilight Singers albums. I got to see them in Sydney on the Powder Burns tour. Mark Lanegan was with them for a few songs (before they toured as Gutter Twins), and I was lucky enough to meet Greg and Mark after the show.
    Yes, I am a fan of the Afghan Whigs and Mark Lanegan and a few of the other "participants" as well. That is why I ended up discovering this band, which  I had actually never heard of before. Spotify curates new (or new to me) playlists based on my listening habits. It decided this band suited my tastes and it was right. (I love Spotify, lol)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,328
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just discovered them right now, and I like them a lot! :)
    Do you like Afghan Whigs and Gutter Twins? I’m a huge Greg Dulli fan, and some of my favourite songs of his are on Twilight Singers albums. I got to see them in Sydney on the Powder Burns tour. Mark Lanegan was with them for a few songs (before they toured as Gutter Twins), and I was lucky enough to meet Greg and Mark after the show.
    Yes, I am a fan of the Afghan Whigs and Mark Lanegan and a few of the other "participants" as well. That is why I ended up discovering this band, which  I had actually never heard of before. Spotify curates new (or new to me) playlists based on my listening habits. It decided this band suited my tastes and it was right. (I love Spotify, lol)
    And of course, anything that involves Joseph Arthur is always worth checking out!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PapPap Serres, GreecePosts: 20,688
    I was front row at their 2011 gig in London! :smile:

    Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin
    I wanna [Pearl] jam it wid you.
    Were [Pearl] jammin, [Pearl] jammin
    And I hope you like [Pearl] jammin too.


    Sep 30, 2006 - OAKA Sports Hall - Athens, Greece
    Jul 11, 2014 - Milton Keynes Bowl - Milton Keynes, UK
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 45,276
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just discovered them right now, and I like them a lot! :)
    Do you like Afghan Whigs and Gutter Twins? I’m a huge Greg Dulli fan, and some of my favourite songs of his are on Twilight Singers albums. I got to see them in Sydney on the Powder Burns tour. Mark Lanegan was with them for a few songs (before they toured as Gutter Twins), and I was lucky enough to meet Greg and Mark after the show.
    Yes, I am a fan of the Afghan Whigs and Mark Lanegan and a few of the other "participants" as well. That is why I ended up discovering this band, which  I had actually never heard of before. Spotify curates new (or new to me) playlists based on my listening habits. It decided this band suited my tastes and it was right. (I love Spotify, lol)
    And of course, anything that involves Joseph Arthur is always worth checking out!
    Of course! Above all others, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Sign In or Register to comment.