Favorite Modest Mouse Album

RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Just curious as there seems to be a lot of Modest Mouse fans here what their favorite album is...after listening to all the other day I must say that I have to go with...."This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About"....least favorite is "Good News for People Who Love Bad News"...and ma really digging their new album.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    There was another thread on this within the last month. The responses were quite varied. To me, it is The Moon and Antarctica, and it isn't even close.

I love the new album as well. I am also in the minority in that I love Good News for People Who Love Bad News. I don't quite understand why people saw it as a huge departure from their other work. Outside of Float On, which was a bit poppier than their normal stuff, it is right in line with everything else they've done. Black Cadillacs, World at Large, The View, The Good Times are Killing Me, Bukowski. . .these are great songs.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    boroff89 wrote:
    There was another thread on this within the last month. The responses were quite varied. To me, it is The Moon and Antarctica, and it isn't even close.

I love the new album as well. I am also in the minority in that I love Good News for People Who Love Bad News. I don't quite understand why people saw it as a huge departure from their other work. Outside of Float On, which was a bit poppier than their normal stuff, it is right in line with everything else they've done. Black Cadillacs, World at Large, The View, The Good Times are Killing Me, Bukowski. . .these are great songs.

To me is lacks the early grit and raw feeling I had from their previous albums...just my opinion...and no I am not one of those fans dubbing MM sell-outs because of that album...they are a badn that deserves to have their music heard as it is great....however I have been very disappointed to be reading they play less and less of their old stuff at shows...that sucks....
  • We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank is definitely my favorite Modest Mouse album.

Just pure brilliance.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I've only heard two. I will have to get downloading to hear the rest. But I am totally loving 'We were dead before the ship even sank'.
    Cock Fight.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the lonesome crowded west. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I'm all about 'Good News For People Who Love Bad News.'
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • As an album - M & A
    Song for Song - WWDBTSES

I really think that the M & A is one of the best complete through and through albums ever made. Each song flows so well...you can listen to the entire thing in one sitting and feel as though only 5 minutes went by.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • As an album - M & A
    Song for Song - WWDBTSES

I really think that the M & A is one of the best complete through and through albums ever made. Each song flows so well...you can listen to the entire thing in one sitting and feel as though only 5 minutes went by.

I think that's the thing I like least about M & A. When I listen to an album that feels like 5 minutes went by it usually means I'm bored and not really into it.

For me I like WWDBTSES and This is a Long Drive
    NERDS!
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911

Marginally concur.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228

ditto
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Good News for People who Love Bad News and The Moon and Antarctica are my two favorites. Not really sure why the first mentioned gets a bad rap. Some of Isaac's strongest works are on there- (i.e. Bukowski). The Good Times are Killing Me is my favorite track off that album, as it sounds like nothing they've done, plus it's produced by The Flaming Lips which is awesome. Beatiful track. My favorite Modest Mouse tune lies on my other favorite album of theirs, and that's Perfect Disguise.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • The Moon & Antarctica has been my favorite album of theirs since the day I got it (which was 3 years ago). I've had Lonesome Crowded West for about a year and it has recently started to pull within sight of The Moon & Antarctica.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    As an album - M & A
    Song for Song - WWDBTSES

i'll agree with this. although i haven't heard lonesome crowded west, which a lot of people seem to like a lot. i have long drive..., we were dead..., good news..., and M&A. i like them all but if i had to rate them i'd probably go

m&a
    we were dead...
    good news...
    this is a long drive...
  • yea I think I had started that thread last month. anyways...

Lonesome Crowded West gets my vote although they are all really good. Parting of the Sensory off the new one is fucking brilliant.
    "The sun is shining, but not for me."
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    I've got no problem saying We Were Dead is my favorite. Good News was decent, but nothing compared to M&A. I enjoy M&A but I think the new one is more consistent from start to finish. The variety is great and the album flows really well together. Never been a HUGE MM fan before, but I am pretty obsessed with the new album.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    lonesome crowded west and this is a long drive =tie for me. i like 'em all!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    word to your mother.
    "The whole world will be different soon"