Ottawa Bluesfest 2008- Holy Crap!

direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Check out the lineup for this thing. Amazing! Over 2,000 performances on 7 stages over 11 days:

The Tragically Hip
The Black Crowes
Brian Wilson
Feist
Metric
Stars
Hayden
Sam Roberts Band
TV On the Radio
Wintersleep
Kathleen Edwards
Blind Boys of Alabama
The Weakerthans
Tokyo Police Club
Matthew Good
Calexico
Lucinda Williams
Wyclef Jean
The Acorn
Dave Bidini Band
Angelique Kidjo
Jason Collett
James Taylor
Primus
Taj Mahal
Widespread Panic
Jully Black
Fergie (lol, WTF??)

...and those are just some of the well known ones. Check it out:

http://ottawa-bluesfest.ca/en/
"I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    How is that a "Bluesfest"?
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    gleemonex wrote:

i was thinking the same thing. its a nice looking lineup nonetheless...
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    gleemonex wrote:

Years ago it started out as strictly a "blues" festival, but over time they started to incorporate different styles and made the lineup much more eclectic. They just never changed the name. But since pretty much all forms of popular music are derived from the blues, I'd say the name still fits.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'll be there for sure! Most excited for The Black Crowes, The Tragically Hip, Metric, and Back Door Slam!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I think this year's lineup is actually BETTER than last year.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    wow thats nice....lotta cancon there!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    Woo hoo! that is one pretty sweet lineup! The Hip (and the Black Crowes, Sam Roberts) sold me on it right away!

Hopefully I can make it this year!
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • I'll be there for sure! Most excited for The Black Crowes, The Tragically Hip, Metric, and Back Door Slam!
    gotta love Back Door Slam. Saw them at Lolla 07 and had to find the new album.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
    gotta love Back Door Slam. Saw them at Lolla 07 and had to find the new album.
    I had the oppritunity to spend the day with them during a recent show, and they are some of the NICEST guys I've ever met to boot!
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    woohoo, Primus
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    so glad Matt Good is playing with a band again
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Omega47Omega47 Posts: 43
    Wow. Some great acts playing. The ones that caught my eye were:

The Tragically Hip
    Brian Wilson
    Stars
    Sam Roberts Band
    Tokyo Police Club
    The Acorn
    Jully Black

Yeah, Fergie seems kind of out of place on the original list. The Acorn's really great, I was blown away by their latest album. The Tragically Hip are always great for a Canadian concert. Brian Wilson's a genius, I'm glad he could be there. I'm surprised Kim Mitchell's not playing though. But I guess there's quite a few Canadians not playing. Too bad, they'd be perfect in there. :P
    www.myspace.com/fusionsong
    I'm sorry, I just don't get Tokyo Police Club. I thought they were AWFUL last year. Am I missing something?
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Ray Davies will also be performing.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
    My schedule is gonna be:

July 3: Back Door Slam, The Tragically Hip
    July 4: Feist or Wintersleep
    July 5: Adrian Belew, Steely Dan
    July 6: Johnny Winter
    July 7: Matt Good, James Taylor
    July 8: Stars
    July 9: Kathleen Edwards, Brian Wilson
    July 10: Jakob Dylan, The Black Crowes
    July 11: Metric
    July 12: Wyclef Jean
    July 13: Robert Randolph, Sam Roberts
    So, just to give an update.

Holy shit, it's been awesome.

Ladytron suprised me, definitley somethin to groove to.

I've been front row for Back Door Slam, Tragically Hip, Wintersleep, and Adrian Belew.

I've met people from (not performers:)

The Isle of Man, Nova Scotia, and Chicago.