The Constantines- Kensington Heights

direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
edited May 2008 in Other Music
More proof that the best rock n' roll on earth is currently being produced by the Great White North. I picked this album up at lunch today and I've been spinning it all evening. Not surprisingly, it's fuckin' brilliant. I wasn't sure if they'd be able to top the awesomeness of "Tournament of Hearts", but this might be the best thing they've done so far. Just an amazing record from start to finish, and not a single dud on the entire thing. I'm addicted. "Million Star Hotel" gets my early vote for song of the year.
"I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump*

I can't stop listening to this album. No love for the Constantines on this forum? That's just sad.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I picked up this album last week - it really is fantastic......surpasses Tournament of Hearts as far as i'm concerned

Million Star Hotel, New King, Trans Canada and Our Age are personal favs so far

......check out the Islands in the Stream duet with Feist (you can find it online) - its GREAT
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I have been meaning to listen to this. Thanks for the reminder!
    Cock Fight.
    Here's the cover if "Islands in the Stream" with Feist. I love it.

http://www.arts-crafts.ca/constantines/islandsinthestream/

-Tom Waits
  • Brain of mJBrain of mJ Posts: 786
    I've always heard kick-ass stuff about them, what's some good stuff to get started on?
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I haven't heard the new album as of yet, but I've heard the duet with Feist. It's an amazing song!
    I've always heard kick-ass stuff about them, what's some good stuff to get started on?

Their new album "Kensington Heights" is definitely their most accessible, so if you're new to their stuff I would start with that one and then work my way back. Here's some more info on them:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:0ifqxqy0ldte

Just ignore the idiotic review of their latest album, as the guy clearly has no clue what he's talking about. Trust me. This disc is the finest thing they've ever put to tape. Happy listening!

-Tom Waits