Rheostatics tribute thread

direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
edited March 2007 in Other Music
Over the next couple of days, one of Canada's greatest bands, The Rheostatics, will be playing their final two shows in Toronto before hanging it up. Chances are that maybe 4 or 5 people on this forum even knows who they are, meaning this thread will probably disappear by this afternoon. Oh well. I was first introduced to the Rheos way back in 1992 when a friend of mine gave me a copy of "Whale Music" for my birthday. Needless to say I've been a huge fan ever since, and I've seen them live at least 8 or 10 times...I can't really remember. My best Rheostatics story goes something like this:

Back in 2001 while I was taking journalism at Algonquin College in Ottawa, the major project for our final semester was to be a 5,000 word feature story on anything we wanted. I decided to do mine on the Rheostatics. At the time, the band was scheduled to do their annual week-long residency at the Horseshoe Tavern, which they called "Fall Nationals". I contacted Dave Bidini and asked him if I could come down and interview the band. Being the nice guy that he is, he told me to meet him in front of the 'Shoe before soundcheck and he'd get me into the gig for free and do an exclusive one-on-one interview with me. So I drive down to TO, check into a hotel, and make my way over to the Horeshoe to meet Dave. I waited for a while and he didn't show up, so I started to get a little pissed off. Suddenly I see Martin Tielli making his way across the street towards the bar. As he approached I introduced myself and told him I was there to meet Dave for an interview. Martin replied "He's probably just late as usual. Typical Dave, getting all his plans mixed up. Do you want to interview me instead?" I said sure and we walked into the bar together and sat down at a table near the stage. The crew had just started setting up their gear, so we had plenty of time to chat before soundcheck. We grabbed a couple of beers, sat down and did a nice hour-long interview. In fact it wasn't even really an interview. I just turned on my tape recorder and we chatted for a while. We talked about everything from the current state of Canadian music, to his disgust over the Toronto smoking ban ("I wish we were more like Europe", he said), to the pros & cons of spending an entire career as an obscure underground Canadian art-rock band. It was a great conversation, and Tielli is by far one of the nicest and most sincere musicians I've ever met.

Eventually the rest of the band showed up and Bidini apologized for being so late. I ended up staying to watch the soundcheck, watched the actual show, and then hung out with them again after the gig was over. It was a fantastic experience that I'll never forget. I hope people realize that without bands like the Rheostatics, today's massively successful Canadian indie-rock scene probably wouldn't even exist. These guys are the original pioneers, and they will be missed. Anybody else have any good Rheos stories to share?

Oh, I almost forgot. Here's an article from today's Toronto Star about the their final shows:
http://www.thestar.com/artsentertainment/article/196682

"This is for the Rheostatics. We're all richer for having seen them tonight."

-Gord Downie, Detroit, 11/23/96
"I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Another article from the Globe & Mail, this one written by Dave Bidini:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070329.wxrheo29/BNStory/Entertainment/home
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Thanks for the articles Mr Wolf....I read the one in the Star this morning and found myself getting quite sentimental - they look insanely young in that photo, I can't believe they have blessed us with their incredible music for over 25 years now. I feel so privileged that I get to witness their final show ever - I get goosebumps just thinking about it, it is going to an incredible night.

I have seen the Rheos live more than any other band - at least 25 times (usually 4 or 5 times a year since I was in highschool). Back in highschool we tried desperately to get the Rheos to come and play my friends birthday party. In hindsight it was a pretty silly idea - but if any band would have been up for it, it would have been the Rheos - and it actually led to several phone conversations with the band (usually Dave) They actually seemed quite interested in the idea....it never happened BUT they did invite my friend up on stage years later and dedicated a rousing version of Happy Birthday to him at the end of one of their epic shows at the Horseshoe.

....your story is great - everytime I got a chance to talk to the band they were always extremely friendly and accomodating....always up for a good conversation (usually about music, hockey or fishing)

....anyone who has ever seen the Rheos live will completey understand where Gord is coming from -they enriched my life everytime I got to see one of their shows. I feel sorry for any music fan who never got the opportunity to see Martin Tielli squeeze these incredible sounds out of his guitar with an intensity that can be rivalled by very few.

I really hope that some people out there take the time to go out and discover/rediscover this hidden gem - they are a truly unique artistic and creative force and there is no doubt that our music scene would not be nearly as vital as it is if it were not for their guidance and inspiration.

I hope you'll be able to hear the standing ovation tomorrow night all the way in (EDIT) Calgary - they deserve nothing less
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Amen, brother!

-Tom Waits
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    My wishlist for tonight:

Marginalized
    Making Progress
    Sweet, Rich, Beautiful, Mine
    Feed Youself
    All The Same Eyes
    The Idiot
    A Mid Winter Night's Dream (to close the show)
    Saskatchewan
    Bad Time To Be Poor
    Shaved Head
    Self Serve Gas Station
    California Dreamline
    Horses
    Stolen Car
    Jesus Was Once A Teenager Too
    Record Body Count
    Christopher
    Row
    In This Town
    Me And Stupid
    You Are A Treasure
    Onilley's Strange Dream
    Aliens
    Northern Wish (Group Of 7 style)
    PIN
    The Fire
    Satan Is The Whistler
    I Fab Thee
    Loving Arms (with Sarah Harmer)
    King Of The Past
    The Headless One
    Dope Fiends and Boozehounds
    The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

....I'm not asking for much, eh?
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!