Buffalo Tom- Three Easy Pieces

direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
edited July 2007 in Other Music
The pride of Boston are back! This album is amazing, and I'd say it easily ranks right up there with their best records (Let Me Come Over, Big Red Letter Day, Sleepy Eyed). It's like they never left. Go buy it...NOW!!!

Here's a great review:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:abfuxzu5ldse
"I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    I grew up with this band ... just a straight forward rock band ... tough to come by these days.

This site ...

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/luisterpaal/

... is still streaming 3EP if you want to have a listen ... (also streaming other albums like interpol, sunset rubdown, etc ...)

I like it, some great classic BT tracks like the title track, Good Girl, September Shirt, CC and Callas ... some of the other songs lack a bit, but, it took me a while to get into Smitten, and I now love that album ... so, hoping the same from this.

I don't see how it will ever top Let Me Come Over ... (**sacrilege alert**) which is the greatest straight forward rock album ever made ... just one man's opinion.

CANNOT wait to see them a week from today here in SFO ... that will be an experience.

I could talk for DAYS about this band.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    jimed14 wrote:
    I don't see how it will ever top Let Me Come Over ... (**sacrilege alert**) which is the greatest straight forward rock album ever made ... just one man's opinion.

I second that! Although, for me it's a tie between Let Me Come Over and The Tragically Hip's "Road Apples". Three Easy Pieces will definitely grow on you. Some of the best songs on the record are actually sung by Chris Colbourn. He's always had one or two of his songs make it onto each album, but he definitely gets equal billing with Bill Janovitz on this one. Renovating, Pendleton, and the title track are all great songs which stand up well with the always excellent Janovitz songs (Good Girl, September Shirt, Bottom of the Rain, Hearts of Palm). I'm loving this record.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    direwolf74 wrote:
    I second that! Although, for me it's a tie between Let Me Come Over and The Tragically Hip's "Road Apples". Three Easy Pieces will definitely grow on you. Some of the best songs on the record are actually sung by Chris Colbourn. He's always had one or two of his songs make it onto each album, but he definitely gets equal billing with Bill Janovitz on this one. Renovating, Pendleton, and the title track are all great songs which stand up well with the always excellent Janovitz songs (Good Girl, September Shirt, Bottom of the Rain, Hearts of Palm). I'm loving this record.

Funny, you forgot my fave Chris song on this album, CC and Callas ... about his love for Marie Callas the opera singer ... (I think).

the songs Chris has that seem overly sappy are the ones I tend to adore ... like Butterscotch of the B-sides album ... about his dog of all things ... but a beautiful acoustic song.

If you love Chris' tunes, you should pick up the album he did with Fuzzy's Hilken Mancini (who sings back up on 3EP, as well as Fuzzy's Chris Toppin) ... the Mancini/Colbourn album is a treat if you like his music.

Calgary's not close, but, I got an extra ticket to next week's show at the Great American if you can make it!
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    *bump*

This album keeps getting better with each listen. Definitely one of my favorites of the year so far.

-Tom Waits