Jane's Addiction

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited April 2008 in Other Music
Not sure why it hasn't received much mention, but the orig line-up played a surprise gig, opening for the Nightwatchman at The Troubadour in L.A. last weekend.

I am seeing them tonight at the NME awards.....it will be nice to see the orig 4 back together!

The NME awards are streaming on Myspace at 9pm pacific time tonight!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• it was just Perry and Dave

Flea was on bass and Travis Barker on drums
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    uhhhh....stephen perkins wasn't there?
    Weird.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Not sure why it hasn't received much mention, but the orig line-up played a surprise gig, opening for the Nightwatchman at The Troubadour in L.A. last weekend.

I am seeing them tonight at the NME awards.....it will be nice to see the orig 4 back together!

The NME awards are streaming on Myspace at 9pm pacific time tonight!

\
    I love Janes addiction, every album.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,113
    Great seeing the OG line-up back together!! RAWK
  • cut off after 2 songs.

lame.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    yeah, if Eric's not on bass i'm not intrested.

Flea on bass was good for the Relapse tour and Kettle's Whistle.
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    Eric was on bass for the NME Awards - that's the point. There are a couple of videos on youtube. The sound quality is crap, but the performances sound like they were awesome. It looked like everyone in the band was having a great time, too.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    hendrix78 wrote:
    Eric was on bass for the NME Awards - that's the point. There are a couple of videos on youtube. The sound quality is crap, but the performances sound like they were awesome. It looked like everyone in the band was having a great time, too.

The band was tremendous....Avery looked a bit nervous, but he still thumped out the great bass lines. They played Stop, Mountain Song, Ocean Size, Jane Says. It was pretty much business as usual..Perry had his weird movements, Dave did his rock star poses and Stephen had a huge smile on his face!

Kelly Osbourne was obnoxious the entire night!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    okay. guess i slagged this thread off for the wrong reasons; i.e: thought someone was mistaken.
  • FuzyfrogFuzyfrog Posts: 10
    http://perryfarrell.net/ has some audio and video from the show
  • bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/music_nm/nme_dc

Jane's Addiction reunites at L.A. bash

By Dean Goodman Thu Apr 24, 8:57 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The four original members of pioneering alternative rock band Jane's Addiction performed in public for the first time in 17 years on Wednesday, burying their differences to receive an award for career achievement.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Singer Perry Farrell, guitarist Dave Navarro and drummer Stephen Perkins hit the stage at the inaugural NME Awards in Los Angeles with bass player Eric Avery, who had declined to play with the band since it first broke up in September 1991.

They performed four tunes, including "Mountain Song" and an acoustic version of "Jane Says" for an excited crowd of about 400 people at the El Rey Theatre.

"We made it and I'm really happy to be here," said Farrell, alternately guzzling from a bottle of red wine and dispensing its contents to fans in the mosh pit.

The quartet received the Godlike Genius Award -- a trophy of a clenched fist with the middle finger pointed skyward -- for their contribution to the development of alternative rock.

Jane's Addiction emerged from the Los Angeles rock underground in the 1980s, distinguishing itself from other post-punk groups with Farrell's sexually ambiguous stagecraft and the musicians' deft ear for melodic tunes. They recorded just three albums and scored radio play with such songs as "Been Caught Stealing" and "Jane Says."

But drug-fueled friction led to the band's demise and the original lineup played their last gig in Hawaii in 1991. The band reunited in 1997 with Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea coming aboard as the first of several substitutes for Avery.

The last show was in December 2003 when the band cut short a tour. The split was bitter but evidently not irreparable.

While Farrell, Navarro and Perkins readily agreed to accept the NME award when it was announced, Avery sat on the fence. He finally came around last week, declaring in a statement he was happy to honor the past "instead of trying to recreate it."

The NME Awards were held by British music magazine NME, which has organized an event in the United Kingdom since the 1950s.

The host, Australian comedian Jim Jeffries, said he expected the winners to be drunk when they reached the stage. But the acceptance speeches, streamed in real time on MySpace, were mostly undistinguished.

Winners included Las Vegas rockers the Killers as best band and the Foo Fighters for best album.

"I'm probably going to take this to my proctologist," Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl said via video, as he surveyed the curious statuette.

Former Clash principal Mick Jones received the Inspiration Award. He said he used to read NME religiously every week as a youngster.

"I don't now. I scan it on the Internet, like the rest of you," he added.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    One of my favorite bands.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MYFsWBpsTGc

Looks pretty cool to me! I hope they do another album, I thought Strays was incredibly underrated.