Going to Coachella?

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited April 2008 in Other Music
To whom are you most looking forward to seeing?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    To whom are you most looking forward to seeing?

IF .............. If I was going .... this is who I would be excited to see.

Death Cab
    Love & Rockets (nice choice for a reunion)
    The Breeders
    The National
    Metric (Emily is crazy on stage, they put on a great live set)
    Autolux
    DeVotchKa (seeing them at hte Fillmore before they head to Coacella)
    Rilo Kiley
    Holy Fuck (seriously, saw them here a few months ago, mostly instrumental indie rock, lots of energy).
    Man Man
    Sons & Daughters
    Vampire Weekend
    Gogol Bordello
    Stars

I initially wasn't that upset about missing this year's festival ... went the previous 5 years, and thought this lineup was kind of weak. But, now that it's drawing closer, I know I'm certianly going to miss the vibe, the event itself ....

You didn't post who you were excited to see ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    I'm excited for:

Prince
    My Morning Jacket
    MGMT
    Teenagers
    DCFC
    The National
    Vampire Weekend
    Fatboy Slim
    MIA
    Santogold
    Minus the Bear
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I'm not going, but if someone gets me an EMEK print I'll trade you for it!
    PLEASE!!!!!!!!
    PM me!
    I posted this in the porch about the possibility of Ed actually being there ... but no one seemed to care .... ha!

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=282781

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    jimed14 wrote:
    I posted this in the porch about the possibility of Ed actually being there ... but no one seemed to care .... ha!

I just noticed Sean Penn's name on the line-up. a 45-minute block is tough to fill if its just him speaking...hmmmmm???
    You didn't post who you were excited to see ...[/quote]

Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip
    Redd Kross
    Datarock
    Fatboy Slim (the site of 6,000 people dancing is indescribeable)
    Swell Season (Partial conflict with the Verve)
    The Verve
    Serj T

Prince
    Portishead
    K-Werk
    Flogging Molly
    M ronson
    MIA
    Cafe Tacuba
    Hot Chip
    Kate Nash
    MGMT
    Carbon Silicon

Duffy
    LK Johnson
    Does it Offend you, Yeah?
    Perry Farrell (U never know what he will be up to)
    Gogol Bordello
    Love and Rockets (They win out over MMJ)
    MMJ
    Roger Waters (the thought of listening to Dark Side of the Moon with a full light show in the warm desert winds should be great!)
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    jimed14 wrote:

That's a great point....how about a little "No More" leading into MMJ on the main stage?!?!?!
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Fatboy Slim (the site of 6,000 people dancing is indescribeable)

Going up against Jack Johnson ... I'm thinking it may be 20,000 people in the Sahara .... I know that's where I'd be!

One thing I will say .... the Coachella board is REALLY quiet the week before the event ...

It's the day when the set times were announced and the front page of the "Lineup/Artists" thread has only half a page of updated threads today.

Usually, that thing would be buzzing today .... it's been dead for a while over there. I'm thinking this is going to be the least attended Coachella in years .... which, for you that are already going, is awesome.

• EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    I actually decided against going this week. Dredg is who I'd be most excited to see, but it's just not a killer lineup that I'm dying to see. Too many of the bands are spread across the three days that I'd like to see and I don't feel like it's worth spending three days out there.

Plus this week Dredg is having a little CA pre Coachella tour. And I'll be catching that last show in San Luis Obispo on Thursday night, before their final show before hitting the studio again at coachella. I'd much rather spend $18 total after charges for their headlining set than have a $600 weekend in Coachella this year for the few extra bands that I'd want to see. There's just nothing there that I'm dying to see. But it still looks like fun for those that are going.

I think I'm going to do the Outside Lands festival instead this year.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'd seriously consider going just Saturday since they added Prince, but I'm going to skip this year.

However, if I were attending?

Friday - Vampire Weekend, Racounters, Spank Rock, Fatboy Slim.

Saturday - Prince, Rilo Kiley, M.I.A., Dwight Yoakam.

Sunday - Roger Waters, MMJ, Grand Ole Party, Gorgol Bordello, Holy Fuck.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    jimed14 wrote:
    Going up against Jack Johnson ... I'm thinking it may be 20,000 people in the Sahara .... I know that's where I'd be!

One thing I will say .... the Coachella board is REALLY quiet the week before the event ...

It's the day when the set times were announced and the front page of the "Lineup/Artists" thread has only half a page of updated threads today.

Usually, that thing would be buzzing today .... it's been dead for a while over there. I'm thinking this is going to be the least attended Coachella in years .... which, for you that are already going, is awesome.

Good point! JJ has his merits, but his mellowness may be too much of a sleep-inducer after a full day in the sun!

It will be interesting to see how crowded it is this year....most of the music geeks I know are passing on it this year.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    There's lots of great bands on the list, but ouch those set times seem very short. I wish festivals would have less bands and allow for full setlists.

Either way I'm sure Roger will put on a full show, and those unfamiliar with Floyd you're in for a big treat! (for those who smoke don't forget your lighters for DSOTM : ))
    Can't make it .... like me ...

go here ...

http://attblueroom.com

showing lots of sets form the fest this year ...

JOE^3 ... we want updates!

• r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    would like to see verve & spiritualized, but not going.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
    r1vers wrote:
    would like to see verve & spiritualized, but not going.

les savy fav is ripping it up ... I wanted to see these guys, they would not have disappointed, well .... except for fat sweaty balding drunk lead singer ...

ok, that's funny .... but, anyway, they rock.

• merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Man, looking at this Prince setlist, I'm disappointed I wasn't there yesterday. Prince covering Radiohead, and the Beatles? I gotta find a bootleg of this show:

The Bird (performed by Morris Day) /
    Jungle Love (performed by Morris Day) /
    Glamorous Life (performed by Sheila E.) /
    Instrumental Jam /
    1999 /
    I Feel For U /
    Controversy (with snippet of "Housequake") /
    Little Red Corvette /
    Musicology /
    Cream /
    U Got the Look /
    Shh /
    Anotherloverholeinyourhead /
    Creep (Radiohead cover) /
    The Arms of an Angel (Sarah McLachlan cover performed by backup singers) /
    7 --> Come Together (Beatles Cover) /
    Purple Rain /
    Let's Go Crazy
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
    merkinball wrote:
    Man, looking at this Prince setlist, I'm disappointed I wasn't there yesterday. Prince covering Radiohead, and the Beatles? I gotta find a bootleg of this show:

a couple Prince videos here, including Creep ....

http://consequenceofsound.net/2008/04/27/watch-prince-plays-coachella/