$96 ticketmaster service charge for Morrissey package!

JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
edited September 2007 in Other Music
I realize that the normal ticketmaster charge is usually 20 - 25% of the face value of the ticket, but, the service charge for the 10-night ticket (face value $391) for Morrissey's ten night run at the Hollywood Palladium is $96!.....thats crazy!

TM can argue that yoy are buying tix for 10 shows at once, but geez, it's only 1 transaction, one mailing, one printing.....$96!

I usually believe in free enterprise, etc, but damn, this is disturbing!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    If anyone could see Morrissey 10 nights in a row without killing themself, I'd be shocked!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    pjtaper wrote:
    If anyone could see Morrissey 10 nights in a row without killing themself, I'd be shocked!

It's spread out over several weeks....I could handle many of them, but not all since the Palladium is a huge ballroom, so its mostly standing.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Well, technically $100 is 25% of a $400 ticket so at least they're being consistant...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
    DeLukin wrote:
    Well, technically $100 is 25% of a $400 ticket so at least they're being consistant...

I agree they are consistant, but you'd think at some high price point, the % would go down.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    I you/we keep paying it...it won't go away. Let ticket sales decrease a lot, and they will change their tune.
    "It's all happening"
    I you/we keep paying it...it won't go away. Let ticket sales decrease a lot, and they will change their tune.

I agree.....I use TM as little as possible!
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,260
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    I realize that the normal ticketmaster charge is usually 20 - 25% of the face value of the ticket, but, the service charge for the 10-night ticket (face value $391) for Morrissey's ten night run at the Hollywood Palladium is $96!.....thats crazy!

TM can argue that yoy are buying tix for 10 shows at once, but geez, it's only 1 transaction, one mailing, one printing.....$96!

ed was right ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Just go on craiglist in your area a few days before the show, and buy them from someone who needs to get rid of them. I've been doing this for a while, and I'm almost always able to negotiate a cheaper price than what you'd pay with ticketmaster.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Saturnal wrote:
    Just go on craiglist in your area a few days before the show, and buy them from someone who needs to get rid of them. I've been doing this for a while, and I'm almost always able to negotiate a cheaper price than what you'd pay with ticketmaster.

I agree! Although I do it with scalpers...Especially at college football games...they flat out panic if the game starts and they're still holding tickets! I've gotten some great seats for a 1/4 of the price that way.
    "It's all happening"
    I agree! Although I do it with scalpers...Especially at college football games...they flat out panic if the game starts and they're still holding tickets! I've gotten some great seats for a 1/4 of the price that way.

Its weird how certain "big games" end up being huge losers for scalpers....often times, non-scalpers buy extra tix thinking they can make some extra dough, but they often learn an expensive lesson!

I remember people selling Rose Bowl tix for $10 each a few years back!
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I would be truly embarrassed if I even saw a Morrissey concert for free
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259

ooooh...good one!

:rolleyes:
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,218

Says the guy with "Oasis Rule" in his name...
  • Message from Morrissey
    28 August 2007

MESSAGE FROM MORRISSEY.

I would like to stress to members of TTY that the recent quotes on NME.com attributed to me concerning "retirement" and "final concerts" were not made by me, and that the NME are wrong to put my name next to these quotes.
    Furthermore, I would like to stress that my knowledge and involvement with "season tickets" and ticket prices for the upcoming shows is zero, and I have nothing at all to do with the way by which tickets are sold or priced. People who think I am involved in that side of the presentation overestimate me - I actually have pitifully short legs - there's only so much I can do.
    Thanks to those of you who have bought tickets, and thanks to those even considering coming along. With so many US concerts this year your loyalty has already been over-stretched, so if you decide to pass, that's OK.

Morrissey, 28 August 2007.
    Message from Morrissey
    28 August 2007

MESSAGE FROM MORRISSEY.

I would like to stress to members of TTY that the recent quotes on NME.com attributed to me concerning "retirement" and "final concerts" were not made by me, and that the NME are wrong to put my name next to these quotes.
    Furthermore, I would like to stress that my knowledge and involvement with "season tickets" and ticket prices for the upcoming shows is zero, and I have nothing at all to do with the way by which tickets are sold or priced. People who think I am involved in that side of the presentation overestimate me - I actually have pitifully short legs - there's only so much I can do.
    Thanks to those of you who have bought tickets, and thanks to those even considering coming along. With so many US concerts this year your loyalty has already been over-stretched, so if you decide to pass, that's OK.

Morrissey, 28 August 2007.

Thats a nice statement that he made, but he does have something to do with the ticket prices. When his agent puts shows out for offers, the promoters offer a guaranteed fee, and obviously, the higher the guarantee, the higher the ticket price. I love the man, but he could easily keep prices down but lowering his performance fee. More power to him if he can demand high fees, but its wrong to say he has no control over ticket prices.
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thats a nice statement that he made, but he does have something to do with the ticket prices. When his agent puts shows out for offers, the promoters offer a guaranteed fee, and obviously, the higher the guarantee, the higher the ticket price. I love the man, but he could easily keep prices down but lowering his performance fee. More power to him if he can demand high fees, but its wrong to say he has no control over ticket prices.

I know, and he has helped lower prices before. So maybe this price isnt to much ... the highest price I have paid was 70 for morrissey.
    lowest ... free :D

in dollars the lowest has been 37. early this year. Individual tix are 43.50 plus ticketmaster taxes
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Face value for lawn at Allman Brothers Band: $15
    Value after service charges: $31.50
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • I know this isn't where you are going with this thread, but i would gladly pay that surcharge if morrissey would reunite with the smiths! I would pay much more even to see that happen!
    OBAMA BABY
  • look...I find nothing more mundane than complaining about ticketmaster fees over and over again; but Im routinely shocked every time Im forced to use them. Its really unconscionable. And *this* is obscene. Youre absolutely right, regardless of how many shows there are, youre purchasing one package, with one transaction, there is absomotherfuckingcocksuckinglutely no reason on earth that ticketmaster is entitled to one hundred...oh. damn. I just got a little dizzy.

seriously, I understand TM is a business and hate them or not, they do provide an occasionally convenient service with web sales (anyone who -in the days of concertgoing yore- wasted away countless early morning saturday hours in a tower records parking lot understands this) but the fact that the fee is calculated as a precentage of the purchase price is completely asinine and unfair.
    "Many of Pearl Jam's most loyal fans are teenagers who do not have the money to pay the $50 or more that is often charged today for tickets to a popular concert...we have made a conscious decision that we do not want to put the price of our concerts out of the reach of many of our fans." 6/94
  • JOEJOEJOE wrote:

you just said that you realize it's 20-25% of the face value...that's what you get here...stop complaining.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    you just said that you realize it's 20-25% of the face value...that's what you get here...stop complaining.

easy there, my friend
  • If I had that money I would buy the packege.
    There is fans that follow him to East,West, and the Old Country. I'm pretty sure they have spent more money than this, and not to mention, flight, hotel, food, ect.....

they are called "The Regular Irregulars" By Morrissey :)
  • I am a hard core Morrissey fan as well as a hardcore PJ fan and yes I bought the 10 night gig for 2 and yes ticket monster charged waaaay to much in fees the 96 buck figure looks right on. It was 1000 for two peeps.

I was not planning on doing all the nights- maybe about 5 but I don't know how they are being sent to us.

I mean am I gonna get seperate pairs for each night so I can sell a couple or what???

I would looooooovee to see pj 10 times too!!!
  • slykat12 wrote:
    I am a hard core Morrissey fan as well as a hardcore PJ fan and yes I bought the 10 night gig for 2 and yes ticket monster charged waaaay to much in fees the 96 buck figure looks right on. It was 1000 for two peeps.

I was not planning on doing all the nights- maybe about 5 but I don't know how they are being sent to us.

I mean am I gonna get seperate pairs for each night so I can sell a couple or what???

I would looooooovee to see pj 10 times too!!!

If they come separate, sell one to me, :D
  • That is not problem Handsome devil. I would rather sell a pair to you rather than one unless you are a terribly hot guy 35-45 and won't tell my current BF who is not a Mozzy fan. :)

Out of pure PJ spirit I would charge exactly face.
  • slykat12 wrote:
    That is not problem Handsome devil. I would rather sell a pair to you rather than one unless you are a terribly hot guy 35-45 and won't tell my current BF who is not a Mozzy fan. :)

Out of pure PJ spirit I would charge exactly face.

I am 23 and also I'm a Girl:)
    I use that name I just love that Smiths Song. I hope you still consider selling me one, though! Hopefully they will come separate.
    I am 23 and also I'm a Girl:)
    I use that name I just love that Smiths Song. I hope you still consider selling me one, though! Hopefully they will come separate.

how many shows are you going to see?
  • Handsome devil-I can sell you a pair not a single though. Tell me a few nights you are interested in and we can work it out. K
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    I fuckn hate TM... I was going to buy a 4 pack of Black Crowes tix to Red Rocks for $75, but then I found out they also charge a $19 fee per ticket for handling/other bullshit... FUCK TICKETMASTER!
    Their charges for the 4 tickets would have been more than the original cost of the tickets, such bullshite!
    I fbought a pair of tix off craigslist for $25, great show, I love the Crowes!