Options

Live

PearlJamminJasonPearlJamminJason Posts: 106
edited June 2006 in Other Music
anyone pick up there new album yesterday?real mellow but its a definate improvement over there last 2
6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    I like it better than Birds of Pray but I actually prefer V to it.
    "Night of Nights", "Mystery" and "Where Do We Go From Here?" are me fave tracks on the new one.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • Options
    thanks to Boekelman for bringing this to my attention
    a new studio version of Mystery featuring that bald guy from Idol

http://www.friendsoflive.com/media/audio/Mystery_with_Chris_Daughtry.mp3
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

YNWA
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    On the first few listens, I see so much potential for this record... but its like they purposely toned things down.

The studio version of Sophia pales in comparison to the rocking live version.

Night of Nights is good...

Songs like Where do We Go From Here and Home seem like they could have been given a little more kick to them.

Not a bad album altogether though - but its missing the magic of the first three albums...

Message to Ed K: You've made your soft love record now, and its good, but lets get another rock album for your next try...
  • Options
    exolsticeexolstice Posts: 85
    I tuned out when they started getting all "christian rock" on us.
  • Options
    JOHNNY VS.JOHNNY VS. Posts: 39
    Th Copper and S Samadhi are very good rock albums, although some of the lyrics are cringe worthy. The distance to here was OK, but then the rot set in. I don't want to feel this way as they are still a good band "live" but on disc they're best when theyr'e darker than they've been for years. Listen to Ghost from Samadhi for proof. New Pearl Jam best cd of 2006...
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    The new album is great, all there albums are some better then others. Although i like birds of prey better, songs from black mountain is kick go pick it up if your a live fan.
  • Options
    Yeah... it's growing on me more and more with each listen...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Yeah... it's growing on me more and more with each listen...
    yeh it took me 2-3 listens before I really liked it..especially the track Get Ready, that song took awhile to grow on me.

YNWA
  • Options
    Live rules everyone go out and buy there new album.
  • Options
    It's great for lifelong fans of the band... I just don't know if it will win any new fans...

Standout Tracks so far:

Home
    Sophia
    Night of Nights
    Where Do We Go From Here
    Show

I still think they could have beefed up some of these songs, but all-in-all, a good record...
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    JOHNNY VS. wrote:
    Th Copper and S Samadhi are very good rock albums, although some of the lyrics are cringe worthy. The distance to here was OK, but then the rot set in. I don't want to feel this way as they are still a good band "live" but on disc they're best when theyr'e darker than they've been for years. Listen to Ghost from Samadhi for proof. New Pearl Jam best cd of 2006...

I couldn't say it better. I will not say again that I don't like the last 3 albums. Well ok, I don't like them and the last album is even worse. But I will end positive the first 4 album are good and Throwing Copper and Secret Samadhi are even great.
  • Options
    V is the only one that I will say was "bad" - but even that had "Overcome" on it, and that's a good tune...

BOP had highlights... "Like I Do" is great... "River Town" and "Lighthouse" are classic, rockin' LIVE tracks...

And this new one has some good stuff... like I said in my previous post. Is it a completely solid effort like TC or SS? No... but its not a bad LIVE album...

You're glad that people like ED K are happy in their real life - outside of the band - but it just doesn't make for really good rock music - I hope that something lights a fire under him for the next album - they need to sound like they are fighting for something again... That is when they are at their best...

SEE: Jam, Pearl - 2006
  • Options
    SchmaktSchmakt Charlotte Posts: 207
    so is it worth buying?
    I loved Mental Jewlery, Throwing Copper, and Secret Samahdi... and I like The Distance to Here too. (Death of a Dictionary is a fun listen from time-to-time as well) I even though V had some pretty decent songs on it... but it also had some pretty shitty songs...

I've seen them in concert probably 5 or 6 times but the last time (I was 2nd row behind the hottest group of girls I've ever been around at a concert...), Ed got really pretentious and I didn't enjoy it as much as previous shows.

I don't like Overcome and its ilk, and I never bothered to pick up BoP... so... should I drop the cash for the new one? Nobody here is saying, "No" but there's only one definite "Yes" I see in the replies...
    2003-04-15: Raleigh, NC
    2003-04-16: Charlotte, NC
    2004-10-06: Asheville, NC
    2006-05-30: Washington, DC
    2006-08-29: Arnhem, The Netherlands
    2006-12-02: Honolulu, Hawaii
    2012-06-26: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    2012-09-22: Atlanta, GA
    2013-10-30: Charlotte, NC
    2014-01-19: Gold Coast, Australia
    2014-06-28: Stockholm, Sweden
    2014-06-29: Oslo, Norway
    2016-04-18: Hampton, VA
    2016-04-20: Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21: Columbia, SC
    2018-07-01: Prague, Czech Republic
    2018-07-03: Krakow, Poland
    2018-09-04: Boston, MA
    2020-07-15: Budapest, Hungary
    2020-07-17: Zurich, Switzerland
    2023-09-19: Austin, TX
  • Options
    Hard to say - cuz you can't lump it in with something and say it sounds like: THIS

If I had to compare it to anything else, maybe I'd say that it sounded like a softer TDTH...
  • Options
    I dont understand birds of prey is a wicked album, I love it alot.
  • Options
    funkymonkfunkymonk Posts: 279
    I'm seeing them this summer. I got third row floor tickets this morning.
  • Options
    ArabesqueArabesque Posts: 34
    As I said in another Live thread here, I have bought every Live album. Mental Jewelry is really good, Throwing Copper is classic, Secret Samhadi is great, the Distance to Here is good, V is experimental and has some interesting tracks, but overall it lacks the power of their other albums. Birds of Prey is generic, dilluted, and mostly crap. There may have been two decent songs on it.

Despite Birds of Prey, I decided to pick up Songs from Black Mountain to see if the guys went in a different direction. UGH! The CD is pukeworthy. It's more acoustic and toned down than Birds of Prey, but it still has the same over-polished, effect-heavy, sound with the same mindless, flighty choruses that attempt to get your heart jumping but fail miserably. I will say that it has more interesting parts than BoP, but the song quality is just so bad I couldn't even listen to the whole CD. I had to turn it off before I got too sick.

To hear the band that once gave me Ghost and Heropsychodreamer pump out crap like Sofia is painful. RIP Live. You were once one of my favorite bands but I can't handle the pop/rock schlop you're delving out.

(and by the way, I did see Live perform at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ for the Secret Samhadi tour and it was AWESOME. But I don't go to too many concerts, so the fact that Live may still put on a good show means nothing to me).
    "This is another sing-a-long." - Eddie Vedder before singing Lukin live at Madison Square Garden.
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    If I had to compare it to anything else, maybe I'd say that it sounded like a softer TDTH...
    yeh thats a very nice way to describe the new one.
    it's a good album to listen to when yer feeling down...

YNWA
  • Options
    Birds of Prey is a great album, way better then V although i like that album too. Songs from black mountain is a beautiful album.
  • Options
    Arabesque and I are going to have to disagree..I finally digested the album fully and posted this review over on my blog. If you're a fan of +LIVE+ - drop the $10-12 to get the disc...

Message to +LIVE+: I'm sorry I underestimated you.

+LIVE+ released its 7th studio album, Songs From Black Mountain this week and I wasn't very excited - which is sad, because +LIVE+ is arguably my 2nd favorite band of all time. Throwing Copper came out when I was a sophmore in high school and I was just learning the meaning of the word "angst" - I picked up Mental Jewelry after hearing TC... and then, during my senior year, they released Secret Samadhi - I was hooked.

Their sound has changed with each album. The Distance to Here is a very strong album. V is downright strange, but still provided us with a beautiful song like Overcome, and Birds of Pray was better than V, but only a few songs really jumped out.

I downright cringed the first time I heard The River - the first single off SFBM. I thought this album was doomed. Total "hippie sitting around a camp fire singing songs about love" feel to it...

Then the 2nd single, Mystery, is much better, but the opening lyrics alone will cause many people to change the radio station: "My ammunition won't load into my gun..." WHAT???

Luckily, I had heard live recordings of another new song called Sophia - this is what I was looking for. This was the classic +LIVE+ sound I was looking for... so some hope existed...

...I didn't even buy the album until Thursday, which is kind of sad. Usually, for a favorite band, I buy the album first thing on Tuesday. But I was travelling on business and was afraid of being disappointed.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find that at least half of the album is very strong... the kind of stuff you expect from +LIVE+...

Here's my review, but I'm going to start backwards, because the last song on the album is undoubtedly the best song of the bunch...

And a general note about +LIVE+ - its best listened to on an overcast day, even better when its raining...

Track 12: Night of Nights - sounds like it should have been on Secret Samadhi or TDTH. An excellent, driving song of devotion from one person to another. Musically and vocally the best song on the album... and the lyrics have a cringe factor of zero - an excellent tune... best song they have produced since Overcome.

Track 11: You are Not Alone - bad. Skip it every time. Nothing memorable about it - cheesy lyrics. Catering to top 40 radio, but thay might not even play this song.

Track 10: All I Need - better than track 11, but not by much. Catering to Top 40 radio... Top 40 would play this song.

Track 9: Home - Excellent song with a drum beat that sounds like an army march. Similar to Pearl Jam's Army Reserve in subject matter, but with +LIVE+'s signature sound. A soldier's desire to see his wife and child again after being away on duty...

Track 8: Where Do We Go From Here - Do not turn this song off after the first verse... it gets much better. Chorus is catchy and the song is genuine +LIVE+. Typical subject matter about love and relationships, but above average.

Track 7: Love Shines (A Song to My Daughters About God) - I'm not going to rip on a guy for writing a song to his daugthers about God. It's just not my favorite song. Belongs somewhere else.

Track 6: Sophia - 2nd best song on the album. The live recording I heard months ago is much more of a "rock" song - but this is a pretty good tune. Sophia is the Goddess of Wisdom - a fitting subject given the recent fervor over The Da Vinci Code and the sacred feminine. Generally though, it's a song about the power women have over men. Temptresses, one and all... great tune.

Track 5: Wings - ech, it's O.K. Nothing special or memorable though.

Track 4: Show - Another great track - a little more funky than any of the other tracks on the album. Maybe should be a single... would have been a more fitting single to rock radio, which has given +LIVE+ it's career, rather than catering to Top 40.

Track 3: Get Ready - Sounds like another campfire song at the beginning, somewhat cheesy lyrics, but it grows after awhile.

Track 2: Mystery - Like I said, get past the first verse and it gets better...lyrics improve, too...

Track 1: The River - They were really going for the "easy listening song of the year" award with this song. The video is awful. All together, it's not an awful song, but it's something my mom would more likely listen to than me.
  • Options
    Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    Arabesque wrote:
    As I said in another Live thread here, I have bought every Live album. Mental Jewelry is really good, Throwing Copper is classic, Secret Samhadi is great, the Distance to Here is good, V is experimental and has some interesting tracks, but overall it lacks the power of their other albums. Birds of Prey is generic, dilluted, and mostly crap. There may have been two decent songs on it.

Despite Birds of Prey, I decided to pick up Songs from Black Mountain to see if the guys went in a different direction. UGH! The CD is pukeworthy. It's more acoustic and toned down than Birds of Prey, but it still has the same over-polished, effect-heavy, sound with the same mindless, flighty choruses that attempt to get your heart jumping but fail miserably. I will say that it has more interesting parts than BoP, but the song quality is just so bad I couldn't even listen to the whole CD. I had to turn it off before I got too sick.

To hear the band that once gave me Ghost and Heropsychodreamer pump out crap like Sofia is painful. RIP Live. You were once one of my favorite bands but I can't handle the pop/rock schlop you're delving out.

(and by the way, I did see Live perform at the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ for the Secret Samhadi tour and it was AWESOME. But I don't go to too many concerts, so the fact that Live may still put on a good show means nothing to me).

Spot on, the new album is absolutely shite :mad: Can't believe that this is the same band that I fell in love with during throwing copper. Its trip and the are like Nicklebacks bitches now.

I could listen to all the albums including the last two, which weren't the best but still had some great tunes but this one.....I will never listen to it again, can't believe I paid good money for it.

I am not happy, if anyone wants to buy my album, they are more than welcome. Disgusted :mad:
    I need a coffee!
  • Options
    I still like it - like someone said yesterday, fans who liked the band's "Mental Jewelry" side will like this album...

Some of the songs are shite, as you say - but there are some good tracks on this album:

Show
    Sofia
    Where do We Go From Here
    Home
    Night of Nights

It got me thinking - this band has experienced the same waning album sales as most 90's rock bands have. But I thought hell, there is enough good stuff off of the last three albums to make a pretty stellar new album. So here's my tracklisting - a "best of" the last 3 albums, which would be a good album on its own:

SHOW
    SOFIA
    LIKE I DO
    WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE
    LIGHTHOUSE
    RIVERTOWN
    FOREVER MAY NOT BE LONG ENOUGH
    HOME
    RUNAWAY
    OVERCOME
    NIGHT OF NIGHTS

Now that would be a good disc...
  • Options
    I love the new album. Better then V but not as good as Birds Of Prey. Nothing will top the 1st 4 albums in my opinion.

SS
    DTH
    TC
    MJ
    BOP
    SFBM
    V
    Casper, WY 06/16/95
    Park City, UT 06/21/98
    Mountain View, CA 06/01/03
    San Diego, CA 07/07/06
    San Francisco, CA 07/15/06
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I dont have it yet. The last album was okay but not the greatest.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Live have lost any of the grit and passion that was so vital to their sound, without it they sound bland and tired. It seems like they are just going for that simple generic sound, it really is hard to distinguish them from loads of other MOR dross out there. I know Ed has always written some odd lyrics, but the new stuff is just so cheesy...... It absolutely pains me to say that, cause I LOVE their older stuff. I'm glad some people can appreciate the new stuff, but please, don't anyone say it compares to anything from Throwing Copper, cause it really doesn't.
  • Options
    Live have lost any of the grit and passion that was so vital to their sound, without it they sound bland and tired. It seems like they are just going for that simple generic sound, it really is hard to distinguish them from loads of other MOR dross out there. I know Ed has always written some odd lyrics, but the new stuff is just so cheesy...... It absolutely pains me to say that, cause I LOVE their older stuff. I'm glad some people can appreciate the new stuff, but please, don't anyone say it compares to anything from Throwing Copper, cause it really doesn't.

I don't think anyone is comparing it to TC - just that there are a few songs on this album that are good +LIVE+ tunes...

But maybe I'm the only onw that hears it... I think those five songs I mentioned before off SFBM are pretty good...