AP - Led Zeppelin guitarist wants world tour

wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
edited January 2008 in Other Music
Jimmy Page held a press conference in Tokyo this morning...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080128/ap_en_mu/people_led_zeppelin

Led Zeppelin guitarist wants world tour

By ERIC TALMADGE, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 20 minutes ago

TOKYO - Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page said Monday he was ready to take the iconic band on a world tour after burning up the stage at last month's reunion concert in London. But it probably won't be before September.
ADVERTISEMENT

"The amount of work we put into O2 was what you would normally put into a world tour anyway," Page, 64, said of the intense rehearsing the band did for the Dec. 10 concert at London's O2 Arena.

The band's three surviving members — Page, singer Robert Plant and bassist-keyboardist John Paul Jones — were joined at the sold-out benefit show by the late John Bonham's son Jason on drums.

Page, who was in Japan to promote the new Zeppelin release, "Mothership," said the two-hour-plus concert was proof that Led Zeppelin can still perform at its best.

He said the band, which formed in 1968, was ready musically to get back together and take it out on a wider run, but it was not clear when it would go on tour as the singer had other plans.

"Robert Plant has a parallel project and he is busy with that until September," Page said.

Plant and bluegrass star Alison Krauss will begin their world tour with a run of shows in the southern U.S. this spring. The two released an album in October called "Raising Sand" that debuted at No. 2 on the Billboard chart in the U.S. The duo will tour Europe in May before returning for North American shows still to be announced for June and July.

Page said the band set their standards very high before agreeing to do the reunion, their first in 20 years. Led Zeppelin broke up in 1980 after the elder Bonham's death.

Page said they rehearsed for weeks, apprehensive that the cohesion they had in the 1970s when they were at their peak might be hard to rediscover.

"We wanted people who might not have even been alive in 1980 when we finished to understand what we were," he said.

Page said all went well until he broke a finger in three places, forcing the band to postpone the show for several weeks.

"But we did the show, and it was great," he said. "It was instant in terms of chemistry."
looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    that'll put some pressure on old robert!! nice...
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Hmm, we'll see... They were great at the O2 Arena but I wasn't feeling much joy from Robert in comparison to the others.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Whilst a Zeppelin tour would be great, Robert Plant's solo career seems to have suddenly taken a massive leap. "Raising Sand" is absoutely amazing and it seems to be selling very well.

Either we get Zeppelin tour or Plant solo tour, so it's win win!
  • muppet wrote:
    Whilst a Zeppelin tour would be great, Robert Plant's solo career seems to have suddenly taken a massive leap. "Raising Sand" is absoutely amazing and it seems to be selling very well.

Either we get Zeppelin tour or Plant solo tour, so it's win win!

Good joke, tell us another :)
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    Good joke, tell us another :)

Thanks for contributing to the thread :)
  • muppet wrote:
    Thanks for contributing to the thread :)

I love the new solo album too, but to say that it is win-win would be lying, i think. led zeppelin or a solo tour? I think the masses would be disappointed if the band didn't tour.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    I love the new solo album too, but to say that it is win-win would be lying, i think. led zeppelin or a solo tour? I think the masses would be disappointed if the band didn't tour.

they've never been about doing what the masses want, though. If they dont want to tour, they wont tour, simple as that. It wont matter how much cash is waved under their noses!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • edved82 wrote:
    they've never been about doing what the masses want, though. If they dont want to tour, they wont tour, simple as that. It wont matter how much cash is waved under their noses!

i never said they were. all i said was that a zep tour would be a whole hell of a better situation than simply a plant solo tour.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    wow.....it might actually happen.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    Plant has pretty much said that it is going to happen too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3tMKDcMScI
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Jimmy has been pushing for this for years and years. It will happen I think. Good to see Plant's great solo stuff being put first though.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08

Yeah, obviously a Led Zep tour is going to be much more financially rewarding, and more people want to see Led Zep than Robert Plant. The 'win win' thing was more for me personally.
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    Told y'all they weren't playing Bonnaroo in 2008.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.