Rage Against the Machine and Wu-Tang Clan dates

wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Rage Against the Machine adds more dates

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-rage24feb24,1,6195082.story

The reformed band will Rock the Bells with Wu-Tang Clan on a summer tour.
By Geoff Boucher
Times Staff Writer

February 24, 2007

It turns out Rage Against the Machine will play more than one show after all--the seminal L.A. band will join the Wu-Tang Clan for three shows under the banner of Rock the Bells, the acclaimed hip-hop festival that kicks off in New York on July 28 and hits Southern California on Aug. 11.

That local show will be at the National Orange Show Events Center in San Bernardino while the third show, on Aug. 18, will be in San Francisco. The sites of the New York and San Francisco shows as well as ticket sales information will be announced by organizers on Monday.

Rage is already the closing-night headliner of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on April 29 in Indio, a festival that sold out 80 days in advance due to the pent-up fan demand for the Los Angeles band. Rage played their last show in 2000.

That Coachella show was announced as a "one-and-done" affair but the quick sellout and the harsh-priced ticket scalping already underway are among the factors in the added shows, according to sources close to the band. There's also the historical punch of performing with Wu-Tang Clan, one of the most ambitious and influential hip-hop outfits ever.

"Rage will do four shows and just four in 2007," said Chang Weisberg, the founder of Guerilla Union and organizer of Rock the Bells. "Coachella is first, that's the granddaddy. And now these three with the Wu-Tang Clan represent a very, very special thing."

The New York hip-hop collective has already announced the planned summer release of "8 Diagrams," the Clan's first album since "Iron Flag" in 2001. The album will feature new contributions from eight of the nine members from its classic line-up: RZA, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Raekwon, GZA, Inspectah Deck, U-God and Masta Killa. The ninth member, the late ODB, who died in 2005, will appear in the form of previously recorded material.

RZA said in a released statement in November that the contemporary doldrums of hip-hop demand a return by the flamboyant and potent Clan: "People want something that gives them an adrenaline rush. We're here to supply that fix. How could hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever? We're here to revive the spirit and the economics and bring in a wave of energy that has lately dissipated."

More details on the shows, including an on-sale date, will come Monday via the "Kevin & Bean" morning show on KROQ-FM (106.7), the powerhouse rock station in Los Angeles.

Fans have been hopeful that Rage will tour but, according to Weisberg, these three new dates and the Coachella appearance are the extent of the current comeback. Rage helped launch Coachella in 1999 when the band co-headlined the inaugural edition of the huge festival.

Rage guitarist Tom Morello has said that the reunion is driven in part by politics and a desire by him and his compatriots to rally young people against President Bush, the war in Iraq and the Republican Party.

When Rage split, frontman Zack de la Rocha went solo while Morello, drummer Brad Wilk and bassist Tim Commerford went on as Audioslave, adding singer Chris Cornell and releasing three albums. That band's future came into question with the recent Rage reunion stirrings and likely ended altogether with the Feb. 15 announcement by Cornell that he is moving on due to "irresolvable personality conflicts and musical differences."

Morello, meanwhile, is also launching a new solo career as the Nightwatchman, the stage name he uses for his aggressive and largely acoustic protest music. His album, "One Man Revolution," is due in stores April 24 and he will tour in the spring.

If Rage as a whole also tours soon it would add to a summer of major reunions hitting the road; the members of the Police and Genesis have set aside their famous quarrels and are gearing up for road runs, while the notoriously fractious Eagles are finishing their first studio album since 1979 and are expected to tour as well.
looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Rage Against the Machine adds more dates

By Geoff Boucher
    Times Staff Writer

February 24, 2007

It turns out Rage Against the Machine will play more than one show after all--the seminal L.A. band will join the Wu-Tang Clan for three shows under the banner of Rock the Bells, the acclaimed hip-hop festival that kicks off in New York on July 28 and hits Southern California on Aug. 11.

That local show will be at the National Orange Show Events Center in San Bernardino while the third show, on Aug. 18, will be in San Francisco. The sites of the New York and San Francisco shows as well as ticket sales information will be announced by organizers on Monday.

Rage is already the closing-night headliner of the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on April 29 in Indio, a festival that sold out 80 days in advance due to the pent-up fan demand for the Los Angeles band. Rage played their last show in 2000.

That Coachella show was announced as a "one-and-done" affair but the quick sellout and the harsh-priced ticket scalping already underway are among the factors in the added shows, according to sources close to the band. There's also the historical punch of performing with Wu-Tang Clan, one of the most ambitious and influential hip-hop outfits ever.

"Rage will do four shows and just four in 2007," said Chang Weisberg, the founder of Guerilla Union and organizer of Rock the Bells. "Coachella is first, that's the granddaddy. And now these three with the Wu-Tang Clan represent a very, very special thing."

The New York hip-hop collective has already announced the planned summer release of "8 Diagrams," the Clan's first album since "Iron Flag" in 2001. The album will feature new contributions from eight of the nine members from its classic line-up: RZA, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Raekwon, GZA, Inspectah Deck, U-God and Masta Killa. The ninth member, the late ODB, who died in 2005, will appear in the form of previously recorded material.

RZA said in a released statement in November that the contemporary doldrums of hip-hop demand a return by the flamboyant and potent Clan: "People want something that gives them an adrenaline rush. We're here to supply that fix. How could hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever? We're here to revive the spirit and the economics and bring in a wave of energy that has lately dissipated."

More details on the shows, including an on-sale date, will come Monday via the "Kevin & Bean" morning show on KROQ-FM (106.7), the powerhouse rock station in Los Angeles.

Fans have been hopeful that Rage will tour but, according to Weisberg, these three new dates and the Coachella appearance are the extent of the current comeback. Rage helped launch Coachella in 1999 when the band co-headlined the inaugural edition of the huge festival.

Rage guitarist Tom Morello has said that the reunion is driven in part by politics and a desire by him and his compatriots to rally young people against President Bush, the war in Iraq and the Republican Party.

When Rage split, frontman Zack de la Rocha went solo while Morello, drummer Brad Wilk and bassist Tim Commerford went on as Audioslave, adding singer Chris Cornell and releasing three albums. That band's future came into question with the recent Rage reunion stirrings and likely ended altogether with the Feb. 15 announcement by Cornell that he is moving on due to "irresolvable personality conflicts and musical differences."

Morello, meanwhile, is also launching a new solo career as the Nightwatchman, the stage name he uses for his aggressive and largely acoustic protest music. His album, "One Man Revolution," is due in stores April 24 and he will tour in the spring.

If Rage as a whole also tours soon it would add to a summer of major reunions hitting the road; the members of the Police and Genesis have set aside their famous quarrels and are gearing up for road runs, while the notoriously fractious Eagles are finishing their first studio album since 1979 and are expected to tour as well.

I remember having tickets to the Wu-Tang/RATM tour in 98? But Wu-tang pulled out of the bill :(
    NERDS!
  • I'm completely surprised. /sarcasm
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • XenaXena Posts: 1

By Geoff Boucher
    Times Staff Writer

February 24, 2007

May the heavens reign upon me!! Thanks for the Rage update!!!
  • can't imagine how crazy that show would be....fucking tits
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Well..this is exciting news I tell ya! Thanks for that.
  • booo ya

yeah, south, not quite the same but i had tix and a van rented for the rage/beasties show back in 2000 at giants stadium, so i know the feeling...

let's hope this one pans out and more rage headlining shows for the summer

***GOT EM***
  • booo ya

yeah, south, not quite the same but i had tix and a van rented for the rage/beasties show back in 2000 at giants stadium, so i know the feeling...

let's hope this one pans out and more rage headlining shows for the summer

Luckily the Roots filled in for the Wu. Atari Teenage Riot was god awful though.
    NERDS!
  • Luckily the Roots filled in for the Wu. Atari Teenage Riot was god awful though.

nice, at least you got to see rage... damn they postponed the rage/beasties tour because one of the guys in the beasties broke his arm riding a bike in nyc... rage broke up a week or so later

i will be keeping an eye out for the nyc show, definitely not missing them this time around

how are the roots? they just got added to bonnaroo so i'm curious what to expect

***GOT EM***
  • nice, at least you got to see rage... damn they postponed the rage/beasties tour because one of the guys in the beasties broke his arm riding a bike in nyc... rage broke up a week or so later

i will be keeping an eye out for the nyc show, definitely not missing them this time around

how are the roots? they just got added to bonnaroo so i'm curious what to expect

Luckily I saw Rage at the 1st Tibetan Freedom show, Them and the Beastie absolutely blew everyone away.

The Roots are my second favorite live act behind PJ and just ahead of MMJ.

I just saw them play a couple weeks ago. Another amazing show they covered Masters of War and did a half hour long James Brown tribute. They always do a covers portion of the show this time they did some Wu, Nas, Ohio Players, ATCQ and others. Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxs1d-EVWeU
    NERDS!
  • Luckily I saw Rage at the 1st Tibetan Freedom show, Them and the Beastie absolutely blew everyone away.

The Roots are my second favorite live act behind PJ and just ahead of MMJ.

I just saw them play a couple weeks ago. Another amazing show they covered Masters of War and did a half hour long James Brown tribute. They always do a covers portion of the show this time they did some Wu, Nas, Ohio Players, ATCQ and others. Here's a clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxs1d-EVWeU

sweet, i must admit i'm not a big fan of hip hop, especially live, but it's nice to see them playing instruments live, definitely just added to my must see list for the bonnaroo weekend

and speaking of mmj, just gave in and got some mmj tickets for asheveille in a few weeks, damn pearl jam for introducing me to the future of rock and roll

***GOT EM***
  • sweet, i must admit i'm not a big fan of hip hop, especially live, but it's nice to see them playing instruments live, definitely just added to my must see list for the bonnaroo weekend

and speaking of mmj, just gave in and got some mmj tickets for asheveille in a few weeks, damn pearl jam for introducing me to the future of rock and roll

That's what happened to me. I didn't see any East coast shows but I bought tickets to MMJ away and . . . Holy Fuck they were good.
    NERDS!
  • parel jamparel jam Posts: 7,223
    I really hope they'll play Europe again. Last time I've seen them was in the year 2000 in Rotterdam...amazing show!! And I still have a little scar inside my mouth from the mosh pit... :)
    ♪♫♪♫♫

http://youtube.com/watch?v=U_-WGNRyRzU

♪♫♪♫♫
  • yes yes yesssss some more RATM dates

pleaaaase come to europe!!

cough reading and leeds cough :D
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • i saw these 2 last time they toured together. good times.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Atomic PunkAtomic Punk Posts: 2,941
    nice, at least you got to see rage... damn they postponed the rage/beasties tour because one of the guys in the beasties broke his arm riding a bike in nyc... rage broke up a week or so later

I had tickets to that show in 2000. I won them from KRock. I was pissed when it was cancelled. I did get to see RATM at a DFP on Jones Beach though before that...
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    Not a big rap guy but Wu Tang is fucking incredible. I'm more excited about a new album from them after six years with 8 of the 9 original members than I am about Rage.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • I saw Wu-Tang and RATM in 1997 in East Rutherford...you can find my description of how terrible Atari Teenage Riot was in the "worst live show you ever saw" thread on this forum.

Decent show...Zach busted his ankle during Rage's set, but like a trooper, he stuck it out. It'll be interesting to see if they can pull off a few dates together again.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • I saw RATM/Wu at Great Woods (now Tweeter Center) in Boston and it probably was one of the worst shows I've experienced. WTC had to go on first and came out about when their set was supposed to end because they couldn't get all 9 of them to show up on time. So that left RATM to have about 6 songs before the infamous 11pm curfew took effect thus giving us about 25 min of RATM, 40 min of WTC and about 160 min of standing around waiting for something to happen.
  • JPS79JPS79 Posts: 148
    I remember having tickets to the Wu-Tang/RATM tour in 98? But Wu-tang pulled out of the bill :(
    Same here, matter of fact that was the last show I went to back in 97? It was the St. Louis date,Rage put on a great show and played just about everything from their catalog to make up for Wu not being there.
    Seems the more you make
    equals the loneliness you get
  • dirtyTdirtyT Posts: 3,620
    WOW!! I already saw this show in 97 with Atari Teenage Riot as well.
    Cuyahoga Falls 98, Columbus 00, Cleveland 03, Columbus 03, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, Kitchener 05, Cleveland 06, Cincinnati 06, Washington DC 08, Philadelphia IV 09, Columbus 10, Cleveland 10, Chicago 13, Pittsburgh 13, Cincinnati 14, Chicago (1) 16, Chicago (2) 16
  • Can anybody who has been to Randalls Island give me a descrpition of the venue..I.E. seated or all GA Completley outdoors or covered..How far from NY City if I was to get a hotel and get to the show..This maybe one to travel to.

http://www.rockthebells.net/
    Barrie: 08/22/98 Boston 09 28-29/04
    Buffalo 05/02/03 Hamilton 09/13/05
    Kitchener: 09/11/05 London:09/12/05
    Montreal: 06/29/03, 09/15/05 Ottawa: 09/16/05 Toronto:9/21/96, 10/05/00, 06/28/03, 09/19/05, 05/09-10/06
  • Boy, do we ever need Rage Against the Machine now more than ever. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time.
    Yes, there really is a dog.
  • Can anybody who has been to Randalls Island give me a descrpition of the venue..I.E. seated or all GA Completley outdoors or covered..How far from NY City if I was to get a hotel and get to the show..This maybe one to travel to.

http://www.rockthebells.net/

I've been there each of the last two summers for DMB, the shows were great, but the venue isin't ideal. For DMB they had a section of fold up chiars in front and then a big GA lawn behind it. The place is huge, so even if your in the front of the lawn, you feel miles from the stage. The major problem with Randalls is the dust; it's everywhere especially on the lawn. But besides that it's a pretty cool atmosphere.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I heard the New York site is Randal Island... San Francisco is McCovey Park.
    Other acts include NAS, Cypress Hill and Public Enemy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • OttOtt Posts: 403
    alaskadude wrote:
    Boy, do we ever need Rage Against the Machine now more than ever. I've been waiting for this moment for a long time.
    A great friend of mine made the exact same comment a couple weeks ago. That we need that voice again (and not the singing voice, the "political voice" if you will). And it is sooo true.
    'Give me some music; music, moody food/ of us that trade in love'
    -Shakespeare