The Police, Beasties, Pumpkins Set For U.S. Virgin Fest

wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
edited March 2007 in Other Music
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003561559

The Police, the Beastie Boys and Smashing Pumpkins will headline the second U.S. Virgin Fest, set for Aug. 4-5 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Md.

According to producer Seth Hurwitz, the lineup follows a Virgin Fest strategy of "blockbuster" bands. "We only have 12 slots a day on two big stages, and our concept is to fill our slots with the absolute best talent available," Hurwitz tells Billboard.com. "We don't book any 'favor' spots."

Virgin Fest will be running the same weekend at Lollapalooza in Chicago. Last year, V-Fest was in September, but Hurwitz says the date change was made to accommodate the Police tour. "It's not ideal [to be the same weekend as Lollapalooza], but given the choice of booking the Police or not we had to go for it," Hurwitz says. "If anything it's probably helped us because we were able to book some bands that were out already for Lolla. Hopefully both festivals will be strong enough that it doesn't matter."

Hurwitz says the rest of the Virgin Fest lineup will be announced "when it's finished." Lollapalooza tickets go on sale April 3, with the full lineup to be released April 12. Published reports put Pearl Jam on the bill as one of the headliners.

Last year, the U.S. Virgin Fest grossed $3.5 million and drew 34,714 for a one-day event. Lollapalooza grossed nearly $8 million and drew about 201,000 over three days. Bonnaroo is the top-grossing North American festival, taking in $14.7 million and selling more than 80,000 tickets for all three days. The only other festival the Police are playing this summer is Bonnaroo, set for June 14-17 in Manchester, Tenn.

As previously reported, the Pumpkins will also play the Toronto edition of V-Fest, alongside Bjork, the Killers, Interpol and Amy Winehouse. That event will be held Sept. 8-9 on Toronto Island. A May 20 Vancouver version will boast the Killers and My Chemical Romance at Thunderbird Stadium.
looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    Wow, again the US gets the kick ass lineup over Canada.
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    yea that will be off the chain

thoroughly thumps pj and palooza
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    damn i need to start working some more...i might have to go to that
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    I hear NINE INCH NAILS will also be there!!!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Jammin909 wrote:
    I hear NINE INCH NAILS will also be there!!!

I haven't heard that.

Right now this is making me want to stay home instead of gonig to Lolla...
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    stpmattb wrote:
    I haven't heard that.

you're going to lolla bitch..... :)
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    stpmattb wrote:
    I haven't heard that.

Same- I had plans to visit a friend and go to Lolla but if I can see just as good of a show and not have to take vacation days I'm staying local as well.
    The less you know, the more you believe.
    last year was great i had 8 water bottles around my belt and got up to the front. (before getting yanked over the top by the security)

sold 7 of them for 8 bucks each

HOLLA
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    A half an hour away from home, The Police, and Beastie Boys first east coast show in two years. I'm all over this. Its going to be a lot more packed this year because last year it fell on the holiest day of the Jewish year.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
    culot4 wrote:
    Its going to be a lot more packed this year because last year it fell on the holiest day of the Jewish year.
    lol

we'll see if thats the reason (not the lineup ;)
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    wtf...pumpkins not at lolla? that's stupid.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • drew0 wrote:
    wtf...pumpkins not at lolla? that's stupid.

i wouldn't count them out yet
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • is this festival gonna be expensive as shit again? I couldn't afford to go see the Chili's and the Who last year.
    Something never thought you'd be part of
  • stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    Velvet Revolver has been added to the Sunday show with the Pumpkins (source: http://velvetrevolver.com/index.php?module=tour )
  • damn u beat me to it...i heard that this afternoon
    DMB is playing the same two days in Hartford, CT...where I usually see them but I think I'll just catch them in Camden
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Thats Impressive.