RIAA Goes After NINE INCH NAILS Fans Over Deliberate Leak

wickedmonkeyzwickedmonkeyz Posts: 489
edited April 2007 in Other Music
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=69841

Launch Radio Networks reports: The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), which has become notorious for suing anyone from high school students to retirees for downloading music from the web, has gone after web sites such as Idolator that have posted leaked songs from the upcoming NINE INCH NAILS album, "Year Zero". The problem, however, is that the tracks were leaked intentionally. Several songs from the album were left on computer hard drives at venues on the band's current European tour, with fans finding and posting them on the web for others to download and swap. According to Billboard.com, the RIAA sent cease-and-desist emails to web sites that posted the tracks, leading one industry source to say, "These f***ing idiots are going after a campaign that the label signed off on."

While a number of songs have been intentionally released, the entire NINE INCH NAILS album has not leaked online yet. The CD arrives on April 17.

In addition to the leaked tracks, the marketing campaign for "Year Zero" has featured cryptic messages on T-shirts and a maze of linked web sites that expand upon the album's storyline of a future U.S. on the brink of apocalypse.

The same source told Billboard that NINE INCH NAILS frontman Trent Reznor views the campaign as a "new entertainment form." The source added that the campaign will continue for the next 18 months.

"Year Zero" is reportedly the first of two concept albums, the second of which Reznor hopes to finish next year.

NINE INCH NAILS finishes its European tour on April 10 in Finland and has just announced another round of shows on that continent beginning in August. A trip to Australia and Japan is planned for May. North American dates have not been announced yet.

can you believe this shit?
looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    can you believe this shit?

No! This is ridiculous! Wtf is wrong with them?! :mad:
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    While a number of songs have been intentionally released, the entire NINE INCH NAILS album has not leaked online yet.

Yes, yes it has
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    First of TWO concept albums?!! Shit!!! Reznor is THE MAN!!!
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    First of TWO concept albums?!! Shit!!! Reznor is THE MAN!!!

Fucking hell, no Trent for nearly 6 years then 3 albums in 4 years?!? fuck no can I believe it.:D
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • BinauralBinaural Posts: 1,046
    What Trent is doing in mind bending.
    Anyone remember his interviews circa With Teeth, he stressed how he was agonising on how to deliver an album in a unique way, that the online booklet for the CD was the tip of the iceberg. Nice to see he followed through with that aim :)
    Oh, and the album is jaw dropping. My initial listens are showing the possibility that this will be my favourite NIN alum. The same feeling I got when I picked up Pj's Avocado, and it's still a toss up between it and No Code, so hopefully the NIN album will go the distance.
    Oh and Trent, if you're reading, PLAY IRELAND YE BATSTID!! :p:)
    ~*~*~*~*PROUD EVENFLOW PSYCHO #0026~*~*~*~*

*^*^*^*^*^*^*^RED MOSQUITO #2^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Dublin 08/06
    Katowice 06/07 London 06/07 Dusseldorf 06/07 Nijgemen 06/07
  • Binaural wrote:
    What Trent is doing in mind bending.

seriously. this is the best album campaign of all time.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times