the flaming lips

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited August 2006 in Other Music
just recently started getting into their music, and i love it. pink floyd meets beck meets radiohead meets i dont know what. great stuff. thinkin about seein them at the new york state fair in syracuse. anyone know how they are live?
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Saw them at Lollapalooza last weekend. Fucking Amazing! I was very impressed. I'll be seeing them again at this years Voodoofest in New Orleans. I recommend you go check them out...quite an unreal live experience.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Saw them at Lollapalooza last weekend. Fucking Amazing! I was very impressed. I'll be seeing them again at this years Voodoofest in New Orleans. I recommend you go check them out...quite an unreal live experience.

how very cool. i love the lips, but have never seen them live.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    kdpjam wrote:
    how very cool. i love the lips, but have never seen them live.

they were one of the highlights of lollapalooza for me. great set. ive been downloading their stuff like crazy since.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I have only seen them once (two months ago) but it was awesome.

so cool that when i heard they were coming back to town i got tickets to see them again.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • they were one of the highlights of lollapalooza for me. great set. ive been downloading their stuff like crazy since.

Same here. I've had never even heard "She Don't Use Jelly" before that show. Now it is one of my fav Lips songs.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,149
    im thinking of going to the allentown state fair to see the lips with sonic youth. if i can find some friends to go i'll try to find some good seats somehow.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Saw them for free a few weeks ago down at Festival Pier. Totally worth 5 hours of nasty heat and not getting home until midnight on a work-night! The show is just...something to see. It's a totally visceral experience. I'm not even positive I'm using that word correctly, that's how good it was. And crazy. And fun. And hilarious.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • For the state fair shows, can you buy tickets there. I know it's all general admission so I assume you can.

But I will be going to see them next Thursday at the Minnesota State Fair.
    "I'm a thief, and I dig it"
    what's the best album for a burgeoning flaming lips fan?
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    what's the best album for a burgeoning flaming lips fan?

the soft bulletin and clouds taste metallic are the best.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • what's the best album for a burgeoning flaming lips fan?

the first album i just bought of theirs recently was actually their latest, at war with the mystics. the w.a.n.d. is a fucking amazing song, as is "you havent got a clue." a lot of pink floydish stuff on there as well. i freaking love this album.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • while i'm not the most avid FLIPS fan, i will say that my favorite album by them is "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots." i think it's amazing. there are so many different songs and different lyrics. very concept. check that one out. if you come across one that you like the most, let us know.
  • ive established that christmas at the zoo is my favorite flaming lips song. so fuckin catchy.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Just finished reading 'Staring at Sound' a few days ago. Its a bio of the band by Jim Derogatis (who writes at one of the chicago papers). Excellent read, a bit more in depth than the Fearless Freaks movie (which is great also).

Clouds Taste Metallic is probably my favorite album, followed by Soft Bulletin. The DVDs out from Yoshimi and Soft Bulletin (and hopefully Mystics by the end of the year) are really well done, the albums in 5.1 surround.

When they would play Lightning Strikes the Postman on the Yoshimi tour in '03, it killed. Similar to how they do the W.A.N.D. now, with strobes, smoke, and megaphone.

Search out Waynes commencement address to Classen high school on Youtube. It's in two parts, and is well worth watching.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • so i saw them last night at the new york state fair in syracuse, and needless to say, i was blown away. free radicals and the WAND were so great live, as was yoshimi.....

so much energy, so much theatrics, definitely one of the better live acts out there other than of course pj.

im a big fan now.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • I saw them last Saturday with Sonic Youth, and they were just crazy.

They threw out about two dozen huge orange balloons at the beginning that the crowd tossed around, also had these two cone-shaped cannons that shot orange confetti all over everyone. There was also a huge screen, and one side of the stage had these girls dressed up as sexy alien women, and the other side had people dressed up as Santa Claus.

And Wayne seems like such a nice guy, he was helping set up stuff on the stage and waved to the crowd every once in the awhile before they started.

I think Do You Realize?? is a beautiful song.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    watch the fearless freaks if you can, its a good story behind the band.
  • kdpjam wrote:
    watch the fearless freaks if you can, its a good story behind the band.

it is a great film. reminds me of the GBV documentary called "Watch Me Jumpstart".

check that out if you like them. it really captures them at the height of their career.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
    im quickly becoming obsessed with these guys. their last 3 albums are amazing.
    i love at war with the mystics. this band is great because they are forever evolving.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Put this link on the DBT thread, but its worth putting here too. Patterson of the Drive By Truckers wearing his halloween costume:

http://www.ninebullets.org/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1556

Also, if you have a surround system, the At War With the Mystics 5.1 DVD is out, and is well worth the purchase. A little different mix than the album, and the whole thing in surround.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball