paul's boutique

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited October 2006 in Other Music
now im not a fan of today's rap. in fact, i don't listen to any current rap, period. however, im a big fan of old hip hop from the 80s, and i find this album basically to be the beastie boys' masterpiece, and one of the best hip hop albums of all time. to me it seems that everyone who listens to today's rap is listening to crap, and is forgetting what the roots of rap really are, and who paved the way for today's rap. the beastie boys dont get me wrong are still very popular, but in the general majority of people who listen to rap (at least from what ive seen) dont give these guys the time of day.

anyways, paul's boutique is a fuckin kick-ass album. your thoughts?
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• now im not a fan of today's rap. in fact, i don't listen to any current rap, period. however, im a big fan of old hip hop from the 80s, and i find this album basically to be the beastie boys' masterpiece, and one of the best hip hop albums of all time. to me it seems that everyone who listens to today's rap is listening to crap, and is forgetting what the roots of rap really are, and who paved the way for today's rap. the beastie boys dont get me wrong are still very popular, but in the general majority of people who listen to rap (at least from what ive seen) dont give these guys the time of day.

anyways, paul's boutique is a fuckin kick-ass album. your thoughts?

Hey Ladies !!...Get Funky! ding a ling ding ding
    ..Beastie Boys are good..liked them for years...even before they were big...like their old school punk/rap style
    Master of Zen
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Paul's boutique is wicked, but I like Check Your Head better.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    "Vincent Van Gogh go mail that ear!"

They need to remaster Paul's Boutique, I have to turn up the volume whenever I play it in my car.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • AxlUlrichAxlUlrich Posts: 12,652
    yeh! the Pit needs more threads aboot the Beastie Boys!

and i fully agree with the album needing a remaster..I hope their catalogue does get some sorta expanded remaster release in the near future.
    LIVERPOOL FC -18 time League Champions-15 time Charity Shield Holders-7 time League Cup Winners-7 time FA Cup Winners-5 time European Champions-4 time UEFA Cup Winners-3 time European Super Cup Winners-1 time World Super Cup Winners

Walk on with hope in your heart
    YNWA
  • crazy - i say it all the time - that album must be remastered. the sounds and beats would get so much out of better sound!

do it now you old men! you're not going to release anything anymore anyway. that last album is rumored to have been done with some crappy computer software on a laptop and it sounds like it
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • edigerediger Posts: 308
    easily my favourite Beastie Boys album. The beats are fucking amazing.
    Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?
  • BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    "I'm a writer, a poet, a genius, I know it
    I don't buy cheebah, I grow it"

Paul's Boutique is a definitely a masterpiece.

You couldn't make an album like it today though - it was made right before all the legal precedents against sampling were set. Clearing all the samples they used in that album (The Beatles, etc.) would be restrictively expensive, time-consuming, and probably impossible.

As far as the "all rap today is crap, old-school rap is better" argument - people have been claiming that since like the second rap record came out :) There's good stuff out there, you just have to look beyond what gets played on the radio or MTV or whatever.
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    one of my fav albums of ALL TIME!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I love beastie boys.
    One of my favorite bands...
    I discovered them when Ill communication was released (1991 ?).
    Since then I'm a fan and I love everything they do.
    Paul's boutique is awesome.
    Although I love BB, I don't listen to any other rap stuff...
    I saw them one or two year(s) ago here in Brussels and I had a really good time. They have an incredible energy (for 40 years old guys...) and they're too funny...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    under-rated & light years ahead of it's time (1989 !!)

shake yerrr rummmp
    a
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    "got more rhymes than jamaica got mangos"

:D

was listening to this a couple weeks back, LOVE this cd. beasties are kickass