bright eyes

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited January 2007 in Other Music
i've tried to get into his music, after the whole world and some of my friends rant and rave how amazing the music is.....and the music is quite damn good. but what i always can't get around is conner's whiny emo-ish voice that makes the music virtually unlistenable for me. if there was a different singer behind the mic, then this would be some fucking great music.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    lots of great artists can't sing. so what?
  • brain of c wrote:
    lots of great artists can't sing. so what?

but bob dylan's voice suits the music.

there's something about emo that makes me cringe, especially when you got a guy singing as if hes doing dashboard confessional when its a rock song.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

there's something about emo that makes me cringe, especially when you got a guy singing as if hes doing dashboard confessional when its a rock song.

what album were you listening to? his voice is pretty unqiue, but i like it and think it fits his music too... very ragged and rough and edgy. he doesn't sound like the typical emo singer to me, but then i dont know what the typical emo singer sounds like i guess. i was surprised to find out bright eyes was considered emo actually.

i dont think i know a single dashboard confessional song though, so i cant compare to that.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

i guess i can disconnect........the spirit, soul of music speaks to me louder than the voice of a singer..........no wonder i love so much music others dislike.......
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    This EMO shit has to stop. It is a meaningless label (think grunge). There is no such thing (in spite of what some melodramatic teens might think). All music is emotional or we wouldn't care about it. None of the bands tagged with the EMO label want anything to do with it nor should they. It is a derogatory term applied by elitists to attack music that they feel isn't macho or punk enough. Heartbreak is as noble and appropriate a topic for songs as any other, and that same topic has fueled the blues for decades. I don't see anyone scornfully assaulting B.B. King or Buddy Guy for singing about it. I am sure Conor Oberst would find Bright Eyes being called EMO beyond laughable.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Try "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning", it is an alt-country album, his vocals are more constrained, less whiney and overall better. Great album.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    my girlfriend is obsessed with bright eyes. Personally i don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be. His lyrics can be very moving but his vocal approach is terrible. It's almost as if he's crying during the recording of some of his songs. And please don't even compare blues artists like bb king, leadbelly, and buddy guy to bands like bright eyes.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • ewwww....Bright Eyes.....ewwwww....
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    pjfan020 wrote:
    my girlfriend is obsessed with bright eyes. Personally i don't think he's all that he's cracked up to be. His lyrics can be very moving but his vocal approach is terrible. It's almost as if he's crying during the recording of some of his songs. And please don't even compare blues artists like bb king, leadbelly, and buddy guy to bands like bright eyes.

People attack bands like Dashboard Confessional and others for singing somewhat melodramatically about heartbreak. In terms of that aspect, I don't see a difference between what they do and what blues artists do (and frankly, I love both styles). And I have heard many a blues artist sound as if he/she is crying when singing. It is just done in a more soulful way.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    boroff89 wrote:
    This EMO shit has to stop. It is a meaningless label (think grunge). There is no such thing (in spite of what some melodramatic teens might think). All music is emotional or we wouldn't care about it. None of the bands tagged with the EMO label want anything to do with it nor should they. It is a derogatory term applied by elitists to attack music that they feel isn't macho or punk enough. Heartbreak is as noble and appropriate a topic for songs as any other, and that same topic has fueled the blues for decades. I don't see anyone scornfully assaulting B.B. King or Buddy Guy for singing about it. I am sure Conor Oberst would find Bright Eyes being called EMO beyond laughable.

Thank you! I'm so very tired of seeing the term "emo" thrown around as an easy insult toward any 20-something year old guy singing about his feelings. It's cool to express your opinion about music, whether positive or negative, but can't we be a bit more thoughtful as far as how we go about it? I dont like to see Pearl Jam written as nothing more than a "grunge" band, and I'm sure it happens frequently.

Oh, and I can't handle Conner's voice. It's just not appealing to my ears. However, I do think it's clear that he's a talented songwriter. I am tempted to check out his alt-country record. It's been on and off my wishlist over the past year. Maybe I'll get to it eventually.:)
    soclose wrote:
    Thank you! I'm so very tired of seeing the term "emo" thrown around as an easy insult toward any 20-something year old guy singing about his feelings. It's cool to express your opinion about music, whether positive or negative, but can't we be a bit more thoughtful as far as how we go about it? I dont like to see Pearl Jam written as nothing more than a "grunge" band, and I'm sure it happens frequently.

Oh, and I can't handle Conner's voice. It's just not appealing to my ears. However, I do think it's clear that he's a talented songwriter. I am tempted to check out his alt-country record. It's been on and off my wishlist over the past year. Maybe I'll get to it eventually.:)

it's conor damnit. why does everyone in america insist on spelling our name conner? has anyone EVER met anybody who has the name and spells it that way? ;)
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    it's conor damnit. why does everyone in america insist on spelling our name conner? has anyone EVER met anybody who has the name and spells it that way? ;)

In my own defense, I do not believe I've met anyone named Conor or Conner. Please forgive me my sins. It will never happen again.:)
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Why does everyone always say Bob Dylan can't sing? I just don't get it, his voice is good:(
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    He is okay. I have lifted... and the i'm wide awake and i listen to them every once in a while. The comparisons to dylan should stop (as far as his writing ability) he is no dylan, but who is.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I also can appreciate the music, but I am not a fan of the singing.

BTW, my girlfriend loves them too, but doesnt know the name of one song she is obsessed with. It says something about a yellow bird...anyone know it?
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I also can appreciate the music, but I am not a fan of the singing.

BTW, my girlfriend loves them too, but doesnt know the name of one song she is obsessed with. It says something about a yellow bird...anyone know it?

you ask i deliver :)

"We Are Nowhere, And It's Now"

If you hate the taste of wine
    Why do you drink it until you’re blind?
    And if you swear that there’s no truth and who cares
    How come you say it like you’re right?
    Why are you scared to dream of god
    When it’s salvation that you want?
    You see stars that clear have been dead for years
    But the idea just lives on

In our wheels that roll around
    As we move over the ground
    And all day it seems we’ve been in between the past and future town

We are nowhere, and it’s now
    You took a ten-minute dream in the passengers seat
    While the world it was flying by
    I haven’t been gone very long
    But it feels like a lifetime

I’ve been sleeping so strange at night
    Side effects they don’t advertise
    I’ve been sleeping so strange
    With a head full of pesticide

I got no plans and too much time
    I feel to restless to unwind
    I’m always lost in thought
    As I walk a block to my favourite neon sign
    Where the waitress looks concerned
    But she never says a word
    Just turns the jukebox on
    And we hum along
    And I smile back at her

And my friend comes after work
    When the features start to blur
    She says these bars are filled with things that kill
    And you probably should have learned

Did you forget that yellow bird?
    How could you forget that yellow bird?

She took a small silver wreathe and pinned it onto me
    She said this one will bring you love
    I don’t know if it’s true but I keep it for good luck
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • I'm not a huge fan, but I think 'First Day of my Life' is a nice song :)
    intodeep wrote:
    He is okay. I have lifted... and the i'm wide awake and i listen to them every once in a while. The comparisons to dylan should stop (as far as his writing ability) he is no dylan, but who is.

i agree with that. ive never understood the dylan comparisons, minus the fact that they're both solo artists from nebraska who write a LOT of lyrics. sometimes conor seems like he's reaching too hard, but ill take someone who's really trying to push himself and occasionally falling short over somebody who plays it safe all the time. he has some wince-inducing moments, but he's already got some really brilliant ones.
  • intodeep wrote:
    you ask i deliver :)

"We Are Nowhere, And It's Now"

If you hate the taste of wine
    Why do you drink it until you’re blind?
    And if you swear that there’s no truth and who cares
    How come you say it like you’re right?
    Why are you scared to dream of god
    When it’s salvation that you want?
    You see stars that clear have been dead for years
    But the idea just lives on

In our wheels that roll around
    As we move over the ground
    And all day it seems we’ve been in between the past and future town

You took a ten-minute dream in the passengers seat
    While the world it was flying by
    I haven’t been gone very long
    But it feels like a lifetime

I’ve been sleeping so strange at night
    Side effects they don’t advertise
    I’ve been sleeping so strange
    With a head full of pesticide

I got no plans and too much time
    I feel to restless to unwind
    I’m always lost in thought
    As I walk a block to my favourite neon sign
    Where the waitress looks concerned
    But she never says a word
    Just turns the jukebox on
    And we hum along
    And I smile back at her

And my friend comes after work
    When the features start to blur
    She says these bars are filled with things that kill
    And you probably should have learned

Did you forget that yellow bird?
    How could you forget that yellow bird?

She took a small silver wreathe and pinned it onto me
    She said this one will bring you love
    I don’t know if it’s true but I keep it for good luck

Thanks! She'll be sooooo happy!!!
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    bright eyes....yuck!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • its really too bad because i find the music to be great. i just can't get past conor's voice. it grates on my brain. kind of like sleater-kinney.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden