Sgt. Peppers going on 40

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited April 2007 in Other Music
Good God this album was way ahead of its time. Just listen to 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' and 'Within You, Without You.' If you don't find this album to be mindblowing, there's something wrong with you. I'm also looking forward to the re-recording of it featuring Oasis and others this summer.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Good God this album was way ahead of its time. Just listen to 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' and 'Within You, Without You.' If you don't find this album to be mindblowing, there's something wrong with you.

my favorite beatles album.......genius.........:)
    I'm also looking forward to the re-recording of it featuring Oasis and others this summer.

i just threw up in my mouth..........:eek:
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,850
    Good God this album was way ahead of its time. Just listen to 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' and 'Within You, Without You.' If you don't find this album to be mindblowing, there's something wrong with you. I'm also looking forward to the re-recording of it featuring Oasis and others this summer.

And some songs are just taken for granted because you think "well they're on Sgt. Pepper's so yeah they're great." but Getting Better, Fixing A Hole, and Good Morning Good Morning are wonderful too. and Within You Without You is, as you say, mind-blowing: innovative as any pop/rock song can ever be with brilliant lyrics. And I don't want to even get started on on how great Mr. Kite is.

and A Day in the Life? where to begin? all I can say is that the hair on my arms stand up everytime I listen to the part coming out of Paul's verse (somebody spoke and I went into a dream) and then John comes back in in this "Ahhhhhhh" harmony atop the orchestra. the magic never fades in songs like this, even after you hear them a million times.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    And some songs are just taken for granted because you think "well they're on Sgt. Pepper's so yeah they're great." but Getting Better, Fixing A Hole, and Good Morning Good Morning are wonderful too. and Within You Without You is, as you say, mind-blowing: innovative as any pop/rock song can ever be with brilliant lyrics. And I don't want to even get started on on how great Mr. Kite is.

and A Day in the Life? where to begin? all I can say is that the hair on my arms stand up everytime I listen to the part coming out of Paul's verse (somebody spoke and I went into a dream) and then John comes back in in this "Ahhhhhhh" harmony atop the orchestra. the magic never fades in songs like this, even after you hear them a million times.

ha ha my eight year old niece was cranking this one day. good morning!! i laughed! right on..
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    within you without you was scary when i was a little kid.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Fuck I'm young.

Great album.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 406
    I was four, still stealing all my dad's cd's when my uncle bought this album for my fifth birthday. It is still my favorite album of all time, even though this is probably mostly sentimental. ohw ell, great album.

love it on vinyl!!
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)