the soft bulletin- the flaming lips

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited February 2007 in Other Music
If you haven't listened to this album, you're missing out on one of the best albums of the 90's. 'The Spark That Bled' is a masterpiece on an album full of them.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Perfect album. Really just amazing.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    race for the prize is one of the best opening songs on any album, ever.
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    The 5.1 mix that came out last year is even better. If you get the CD/DVD combo it has the original track listing that includes Slow Motion.

If you can search out the 'Soft Bulletin Companion', do so. It's 2 discs of radio sessions/outtakes that is very good. Or at least search out the WXPN version of Waitin' for a Superman on iTunes, its a solo piano version.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    yes it is one of their best efforts, if not the best, in my opinion.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I have decided after I saw the Lips in San Francisco on December 30th, that "The Soft Bulletin" is definately the best album of the 90s, and definately one of the best of all time. GREAT ALBUM!!!!
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • race for the prize is one of the best opening songs on any album, ever.

I agree, although Fight Test from Yoshimi might be better. I think The Gash is the best song on The Soft Bulletin.
    I agree, although Fight Test from Yoshimi might be better. I think The Gash is the best song on The Soft Bulletin.

fight test is good too... shit, i like the yeah yeah yeah song as well :)

totally agree. great album.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    This is one of my favorite albums of the 90's and my favorite album by the lips :) I hereby endorse this thread :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Definitely my favorite Lips album (by a longshot actually).....probably in my top 10 albums of all time by any band. "The Spark That Bled" is my fav Lips tune - such a wacky little ditty
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    agreed
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    totally agree. great album.

totally agree. great album. :D

did you know "the gash" is about vaginas?
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Listened to it and hated it
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Listened to it and hated it

well other than pearl jam, your other favorite band is oasis. so that seems about right.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
    rage333 wrote:
    I have decided after I saw the Lips in San Francisco on December 30th, that "The Soft Bulletin" is definately the best album of the 90s, and definately one of the best of all time. GREAT ALBUM!!!!

Definitely the best album of the 90's...............man are you full of shit
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

i see this is going to get nasty/messy

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Definitely the best album of the 90's...............man are you full of shit

You think Oasis "rules", so your opinion matters little. ;)

The Soft Bulletin is amazing. :D
  • Ahhh... the album that forever changed my life!

For the record, I absolutely adore Oasis so I don't understand why people think you could only like one or the other. I mean I would think that someone who loves Oasis would have somewhat of an ear for good music so it's beyond me as to how anyone could hate it.

It is hands down one of the five best albums in the last 10 years.
    Listened to it and hated it

fewer steroids and more lsd might help you appreciate music that doesn't beat you over the head with its simple cock rock riffs. just a little advice from one oasis fan to another.

It is hands down one of the five best albums in the last 10 years.

so where does your board name come from i wonder? :D

awesome album. i agree with you. the lyrics are so heartfelt yet extremely thought provoking. don't find that combination very often

• Fu_ManchuFu_Manchu Posts: 422
    I like this album a lot, how can you compare The Flaming Lips to Oasis though?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    I like this album a lot, how can you compare The Flaming Lips to Oasis though?

you can't

fewer steroids and more lsd might help you appreciate music that doesn't beat you over the head with its simple cock rock riffs. just a little advice from one oasis fan to another.

I love plenty of experimental music, Flaming Lips are just bad and their singer sounds like he is retarded
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I love plenty of experimental music, Flaming Lips are just bad and their singer sounds like he is retarded

hey man

i guess you really don't like the lips then.

i can dig it

• toddiet123toddiet123 Posts: 271
    merkinball wrote:
    The 5.1 mix that came out last year is even better. If you get the CD/DVD combo it has the original track listing that includes Slow Motion.

If you can search out the 'Soft Bulletin Companion', do so. It's 2 discs of radio sessions/outtakes that is very good. Or at least search out the WXPN version of Waitin' for a Superman on iTunes, its a solo piano version.

Agreed..this bands knows how to do the DVD-A multichannel stuff. SOft, Yoshimi etc..they nail it. THe new live cd is going to be in 5.1 as well.

borderline schizophrenic is a bit more accurate ;)

im so bummed their chicago show sold out... i waited one day too long :(