stereophonics

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Anyone else like them? Trying to wonder why they're so big in England and virtually unknown in the states. They rock pretty hard. For those with DirecTV, there is also a concert of theres that's been in rotation on channel 101.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ChrisChris Posts: 116
    They rock pretty hard. quote]
    Gonna have to disagree with you on that one - first couple of albums were decent, after that they went down hill rapidly, and really dont rock at all. Seen them live and they were dreadful. They were big a few years ago but not so much anymore. Big in the UK because they are Welsh, and penned a few decent tunes in the late 90s but have dined on it ever since.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Wasn't impressed with their last album although the first single off it( dakato) was very good. Very impressed with the album before it. First few are good too
  • Chris wrote:
    They rock pretty hard. quote]
    Gonna have to disagree with you on that one - first couple of albums were decent, after that they went down hill rapidly, and really dont rock at all. Seen them live and they were dreadful. They were big a few years ago but not so much anymore. Big in the UK because they are Welsh, and penned a few decent tunes in the late 90s but have dined on it ever since.

I'm gonna have to agree. The Stereophonics suffer from the same malady(look it up before you start breaking my balls) that many bands seem to have. The first 5 or 6 songs I ever heard by them were pretty good, then they just seemed to regurgitate those songs over and over. They never really evolved like great bands do.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    oh they evolved, all right. into something not good.

i endured kelly jones' black crowes fascination for a couple records but that last one was just dreadful.

however, the first two records are classics.
  • exhausted wrote:
    oh they evolved, all right. into something not good.

i endured kelly jones' black crowes fascination for a couple records but that last one was just dreadful.

however, the first two records are classics.

you didn't like anything off it? Dakota is a great song.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    superman negates any positives to be found. :)

don't get me wrong, i am a fan. to the point that i have the live record and suffered through a listen of kelly's solo recordings.

but LSVO really was not a good record.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Word gets around and performance and cocktails are both great albums, but their newest stuuf is really boring imo. Its a shame, i remember seeing them on tv for the first time as word gets around was just released and being very excited by them, Kelly has a great voice. Really went off them after Jeep came out.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    I'm in the same boat as most of you guys, the first two are great records and to a lesser extent so were the next two but the last one just blew.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • they are pretty good. off their latest album "superman" and "brother" were pretty righteous tunes.

but yeah man, there's no point of even fussing about what gets attention in america. really good bands succeed overseas now because of our poop culture.
  • Local boy in the photograph is an amazing tune, in fact all of Word gets around is amazing. Hard to believe that album is ten years old now, man I feel old!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    First two albums (first in particular) were very good. Third was ok. Kinda lost interest after that.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    I've got "performance and cocktails," but haven't listened to it yet (was kinda turned off initially)

I am blown away by the live version of "Help Me (she's out of her mind)" which I heard, though. What a fantastic song!
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M