The Bends

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited December 2007 in Other Music
It's been said a million times, but I'll say it again........this album rocks! Dug it out after a while not listening to it. 'Black Star' is epic- a classic. Glad to see that if they're not going to play Creep and some really early stuff on tour, that they'll at least give this album its due in their shows.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't care what the masses say about Ok Computer, or Kid A or whatever.

THE BENDS is where it is fucking at.

The whole albums is a mindfuck of a riot of good music.

And BONES is one of the best songs ever recorded!

:D:D:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    there's certainly much more love for radiohead on tenclub than there is love for pj on greenplastic. lol

the bends is good.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • I love The Bends!!!!!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    The Bends was a great record. Absolutely solid from start to finish.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • my favorite radiohead album. it's perfect.
  • I keep hoping they will get back to the bends style. but its just more of the artsy style. the bends is right up there on my all time favs list.
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    The Bends was the album that first got me into Radiohead, and it's easily one of my favorite albums of all time. I was lucky enough to see them live on the Bends tour at the University of Calgary in '95. They played the MacEwan Hall Ballroom, which holds about 600 people. Amazing show!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Way better than OK Computer, the only Radiohead album I can really say that I love
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I don't care what the masses say about Ok Computer, or Kid A or whatever.

THE BENDS is where it is fucking at.

The whole albums is a mindfuck of a riot of good music.

And BONES is one of the best songs ever recorded!

+1
  • I caught onto the Radiohead bandwagon late in the game.

While I've only gone through just 5 of their albums completely, The Bends is easily my favorite...In Rainbows is a very close second.

To be fair, I haven't listen to Hail to the Thief or Amnesiac yet.

Like it or not, they are constantly evolving.

Hope to see them in the States soon.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • This album is probably in my top 10 of all time. Absolutely perfect. And then the new stuff just got weirder and weirder.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • mobbermobber Posts: 14
    my favorite radiohead album.

ok computer was great, but most of the work was in the production. 'the bends' was just awesome...

i get soooo mad when the band says, "this next album will be more guitars" which is what they've been quoted on saying about the last 2 albums. thi is not true.
    "I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turn up..."
  • My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 927
    The Bends is awesome!! Fuck Kid A in the ass.

I haven't tried In Rainbows yet. Is it like Kid A cause I'm just not into to that shit. No offense to those that like it... I just don't get it.
  • My3rdEye wrote:
    The Bends is awesome!! Fuck Kid A in the ass.

I haven't tried In Rainbows yet. Is it like Kid A cause I'm just not into to that shit. No offense to those that like it... I just don't get it.

Mostly quiet (save for Bodysnatchers), but a very straightforward album. nothing like kid a. right behind the bends for me....check it out!
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • Not a big fan of this album. Too commercial, which, in my opinion, is something that Radiohead don't do particularly well.
  • Too commercial

When you say "Too Commercial", what do you mean.

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but I listened to The Bends for the first time a few months ago and I'm trying to gauge your meaning.

Do you mean that it's too polished? Do you mean that they didn't take as many chances as some of their other records?

I wasn't really into Radiohead when this album was commercial released, so I'm trying to see how this one differs from the others.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i adore this album, but very seldom do i feel like revisiting it

street spirit remains one of the greatest album closers imo though
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Hmmm, its always The Bends Vs Kid A...like you cant like both...?!?!

The Bends is a solid guitar album, but there's countless amounts of those in the world.....

Kid A and In Rainbows just have something a little more...

Fake Plastic Trees and Street Spirit are still two of my all time favourite songs however...
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • I love Fake Plastic Trees and do enjoy The Bends very much but, Pablo Honey is my favorite Radiohead album--start to finish, they just kill it! :)
    Forget your perfect offering, there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in. - Leonard Cohen
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I love Fake Plastic Trees and do enjoy The Bends very much but, Pablo Honey is my favorite Radiohead album--start to finish, they just kill it! :)

you are the first person I have ever heard say Pablo Honey is their favourite Radiohead album. Though I do like some tracks, especially Stop Whispering, you are certainly in the minority with that revelation.

The Bends is my favourite Radiohead album as well, as well as Street Spirit and Fake Plastic Trees, songs like My Iron Lung, Black Star, Sulk and The Bends itself are stellar
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • smarchee wrote:
    The Bends is my favourite Radiohead album as well, as well as Street Spirit and Fake Plastic Trees, songs like My Iron Lung, Black Star, Sulk and The Bends itself are stellar

...uh ...

... and BONES!

You forgot BONES!

If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • This is the album that got me into Radiohead. It's hard for me to revisit, though. But it has some of my favorate songs from them. I don't think they'll ever recapture its magic.
    Black Star still touches me. "i get on the train and i just stand about now that i don't think of you.
    i keep falling over i keep passing out when i see a face like you.
    what am i coming to?
    i'm gonna melt down"
  • When you say "Too Commercial", what do you mean.

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck, but I listened to The Bends for the first time a few months ago and I'm trying to gauge your meaning.

Do you mean that it's too polished? Do you mean that they didn't take as many chances as some of their other records?

I wasn't really into Radiohead when this album was commercial released, so I'm trying to see how this one differs from the others.

PBM
    This, along with Pablo Honey, is very different to what we'd hear from Kid A onwards. OK Computer was like a blend between the two directions. Personally, I don't like the early poppy guitar stuff. The songs sound like top 40 hits, that's how I gauge "commercial".