I think Sonic Youth are boring

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited March 2007 in Other Music
I don't think they sound grating by any means, but their music bores me. I watched them open for The Flaming Lips and nearly fell asleep. I respect the fact that they've been at it for a long time now and seem to influence a lot of people's musical tastes, but I just don't get the hype.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    I enjoy their music, but I can see how they aren't for everybody.
  • I think part of their charm comes from the fact they are a unique band not swayed by current popular trends in music. They make their music because they feel like it, not because it may sell a million copies. The fact they dont tune their guitars, and then use things like screwdrivers and such on those guitars also is pretty unique. As an aspiring musician, one of the key things i am told is to keep my guitar in tune. Sonic Youth show that is nonsense, and isnt true.

I dont know how you fell asleep! Saw them open for PJ in San Fran, and it was almost like some kind of ritualistic show or something when Sonic Youth came out. They had all these wierd sounds coming from their instruments, they had this light show and like a psychedelic thing going on in the background, and people in the crowd were booing them.

I think they are respected for their integrity, not selling out, not making commercial music, and expanding the musicial boundaries. To be frank, sonic youth was hugely influential on the grunge scene and I would make the assertion that had their been no sonic youth, or mudhoney, or those type bands, their would be no Pearl Jam or Nirvana etc...
  • and if nothing else, check out their pictures from 20 years ago, and then check one out from the last couple years, Thurston Moore, the guitarist seems to have figured out how to not grow old, he looks the same as he did 20 years ago. Its quite wierd
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    I don't think they sound grating by any means, but their music bores me. I watched them open for The Flaming Lips and nearly fell asleep. I respect the fact that they've been at it for a long time now and seem to influence a lot of people's musical tastes, but I just don't get the hype.
    you're not the only one.. i was bored out of my skull when they opened for PJ last summer in LA and Santa Barbara.. ZzZzZzZzZz
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Oh well different strokes for different folks.

I love them.

a lot.

like really a lot :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • hendrix78hendrix78 Posts: 507
    The fact they dont tune their guitars, and then use things like screwdrivers and such on those guitars also is pretty unique. As an aspiring musician, one of the key things i am told is to keep my guitar in tune. Sonic Youth show that is nonsense, and isnt true.

They do tune their guitars, they just tune them to alternate tunings rather than standard tuning.

I don't find them boring at all. I love how they take what could be described as ugly sounds and make something beautiful out of it. They have a knack for writing unusual but compelling melodies and creating new sounds with their instruments. They are an art rock band.

My favorite album of theirs is probably Sister.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,136
    I think part of their charm comes from the fact they are a unique band not swayed by current popular trends in music. They make their music because they feel like it, not because it may sell a million copies. The fact they dont tune their guitars, and then use things like screwdrivers and such on those guitars also is pretty unique. As an aspiring musician, one of the key things i am told is to keep my guitar in tune. Sonic Youth show that is nonsense, and isnt true.

I dont know how you fell asleep! Saw them open for PJ in San Fran, and it was almost like some kind of ritualistic show or something when Sonic Youth came out. They had all these wierd sounds coming from their instruments, they had this light show and like a psychedelic thing going on in the background, and people in the crowd were booing them.

I think they are respected for their integrity, not selling out, not making commercial music, and expanding the musicial boundaries. To be frank, sonic youth was hugely influential on the grunge scene and I would make the assertion that had their been no sonic youth, or mudhoney, or those type bands, their would be no Pearl Jam or Nirvana etc...
    I agree with you on the first two paragraphs. The different and odd sounds they create are part of what makes me like their music. I saw them when they opened for PJ in Charlotte, NC and the crowd didn't boo, they were just indifferent. I think there were about 50 people who actually wanted to hear their set. I could go into why I disagree with parts of the third paragraph, but it's semantics and would derail the thread off topic.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Every PJ show I attended that they opened I made it my business to be elsewhere.

I'm definitely not enchanted.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    dharma69 wrote:
    Every PJ show I attended that they opened I made it my business to be elsewhere.

I'm definitely not enchanted.

I was actually happy to get to Portland last Summer from San Fran since a comedian, David Cross, was opening. They didn't do much for me the 5 shows I saw them open, too much distortion.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    and if nothing else, check out their pictures from 20 years ago, and then check one out from the last couple years, Thurston Moore, the guitarist seems to have figured out how to not grow old, he looks the same as he did 20 years ago. Its quite wierd

he's a robot.
  • hailhail82hailhail82 Posts: 330
    They aren't for everybody because they don't approach melody or harmony in the traditional western sense for the most part. It doesn't sound melodic to most and even grating to some. They are the most influential art rock band because they are able to balance mainstream rock and the experimental melodic qualities they employ, while doing exactly what they want.
    They're one of the most unique bands I've heard and it was disappointing to hear the booing and snide remarks from 10c members last tour. I don't understand why people have to do that. Why can't you not enjoy it and keep it to yourself or go get a beer or something?
    Using the word "methinks" in your message board posts doesn't make you look smart.
  • i love them
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312

I think you are boring. :)

But no, really, at first I couldnt stand them, but then after hearing more and more songs, and going to see them live, they have really grown on me!!! :)
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • It saddens me to hear that people were actually booing Sonic Youth. Hell, even if it was a different band it's still not cool to boo at a show.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    hailhail82 wrote:
    They're one of the most unique bands I've heard and it was disappointing to hear the booing and snide remarks from 10c members last tour. I don't understand why people have to do that. Why can't you not enjoy it and keep it to yourself or go get a beer or something?
    Hate that with a passion.

I have a hard time with outright disrepect towards music especially when it's live. Like I said when SY were on I was simply somewhere else. No need for me to interfere with the good time of those people who were having a good including Sonic Youth.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace