evil urges by my morning jacket is.......

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited March 2008 in Other Music
.......going to be THE epic album of 2008. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2, Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious......Epic stuff folks. 'Z' seemed like it would be a tough act to top, but if the album in its polished form even remotely resembles what we've seen thus far, it's going to top it.
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I briefly listened to some of it last night and i was not blown away by it, but i'm hoping that after i hear it on the album it will come together for me.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    where can i hear any of these new songs????
    definitely can't wait for this album!!
  • 2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I'm hoping this one leaks super early.
  • Damn you beat me to it, MMJ is going to explode this year. EXPLODE. They are a combination of my favorite bands, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Neil Young, Wilco, Radiohead and of course PJ.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    They are probably the best band in the world right now...really, not in some indie geek rock kind of way...these guys are amazing. I hope they do explode and I can't wait to hear the new record.
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    is there a torrent of the npr (south by southwest) show out there yet? i'm streaming it now and its incredible. would love adding this one to my collection! i dont' have a clue on how to record a stream myself.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    The song "Highly Suspicious" keeps tripping me out. It sounds so UN-My Morning Jacket! Good lord, Billboard called it when they likened it to a "Rick James meets Prince" thing going on.

So out of the box that it's great.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    I'm streaming the gig now, and 'Highly Suspicious' just BLEW.MY.MIND! It's so frickin' trippy but a complete blast at the same time!

MMJ have really brought their A-game for this new record, i can't wait!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Am I the only one who doesn't want to hear any of this stuff? I hate hearing versions of songs before the actual album release. I'll wait for that.
  • oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    .......going to be THE epic album of 2008. Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Part 2, Evil Urges, Highly Suspicious......Epic stuff folks. 'Z' seemed like it would be a tough act to top, but if the album in its polished form even remotely resembles what we've seen thus far, it's going to top it.
    I cannot agree more! Usually, when I hear a band's new material for the first time, it doesn't hit me right away, but these songs are quite extraodinary...at least to me. I can't wait for the album to come out and for the Radio City show!!!! :D
  • InHiding19InHiding19 Posts: 2,385
    New songs rocked I like the experimentation.
    Out of the Blue and Into the Black................Uncle Neil Philly 08 here I come!!!!
  • best live band ive ever seen.
    Fav. Bands
    My Morning Jacket
    Pearl Jam
    Neil Young
    Wilco
    Tool
    Rush
    Drive By Truckers

pj shows
    8/17/98
    8/15/00
    8/18/00
    8/20/00
    6/22/03
    10/2/04
    8/5/07
  • I'm digging Aluminum Park the most right now
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • LivingBubbaLivingBubba Posts: 135
    I agree, this thing is going to be a HOMERUN!!! I cannot wait to see their late night set at Bonnaroo.

I`m torn between Wilco/MMJ/ as my current favorite live acts now, but damn the new stuff is kick ass
  • joejohn wrote:

Thanks!

The new songs are awesome. They are such a great, great live band!

Can't wait to see them again someday.
    Obama/Biden '08!!!
  • Igottago wrote:
    Am I the only one who doesn't want to hear any of this stuff? I hate hearing versions of songs before the actual album release. I'll wait for that.

no, i'm with you on this. the only exception is if i am actually at a show and they play some of it there. i don't like to hear it before the album is out.
  • i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I can't wait for this album!!!
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,891
    Z was pretty bad in my opinion. I hope they ditch the synth or whatever and bring back the guitars.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    Can they explode at this point though? I mean what does that really mean? It seems that only people who are really tuned into the music scene have heard of them (or PJ fans), and they've been around almost 10 years. Not once have I heard a MMJ song on the radio - would "exploding" do that? Will they have a video on VH1? Sell a million records?

At the same time, each time I've seen them it's been to a bigger and bigger crowd, so maybe they are on the verge. And they seem to be just below headline status at festivals. I just think that with all the great songs they have, they're still unknown to the mainstream, so I'm not sure that it will ever happen...
  • I'm hoping they're gonna prove me wrong, but this new album seems a little too... I dunno. Poppy? Like they're not playing to their strengths... But as I said, hoping I'm wrong.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    MKTerp wrote:
    Can they explode at this point though? I mean what does that really mean? It seems that only people who are really tuned into the music scene have heard of them (or PJ fans), and they've been around almost 10 years. Not once have I heard a MMJ song on the radio -
    Man, do you listen to the wrong radio station(s). My radio station is quite fond of them but then my radio station isn't in to crap. They've even played "Golden" and "I Will Sing You Songs" to balance out the rock of "Gideon", "Wordless Chorus" and "Off The Record".

Thank goodness for my radio station.

FaceSpace
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    dharma69 wrote:
    Man, do you listen to the wrong radio station(s). My radio station is quite fond of them but then my radio station isn't in to crap. They've even played "Golden" and "I Will Sing You Songs" to balance out the rock of "Gideon", "Wordless Chorus" and "Off The Record".

Thank goodness for my radio station.

What station is that? I'm talking 92.3 KROC in NY, WMMR in Philly, DC 101 - major rock stations.
    MKTerp wrote:
    What station is that? I'm talking 92.3 KROC in NY, WMMR in Philly, DC 101 - major rock stations.
    94.9 KBZT in San Diego

I don't live in San Diego but I get their reception. And they stream online so you can get them in Timbuktu if you had to.

FaceSpace
  • rhollandrholland Posts: 9
    frogwater wrote:
    is there a torrent of the npr (south by southwest) show out there yet? i'm streaming it now and its incredible. would love adding this one to my collection! i dont' have a clue on how to record a stream myself.

Here's an FM sourced torrent:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513895
  • MKTerp wrote:
    Can they explode at this point though? I mean what does that really mean? It seems that only people who are really tuned into the music scene have heard of them (or PJ fans), and they've been around almost 10 years. Not once have I heard a MMJ song on the radio - would "exploding" do that? Will they have a video on VH1? Sell a million records?

At the same time, each time I've seen them it's been to a bigger and bigger crowd, so maybe they are on the verge. And they seem to be just below headline status at festivals. I just think that with all the great songs they have, they're still unknown to the mainstream, so I'm not sure that it will ever happen...

They are going to be like Wilco, not a HUGE band but if you like music you will dig MMJ. It took Wilco 4-5 records till they get where they are now.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    I have wanted to see these guys do their own show forever now, I liked them after It Still Moves, but really got turned onto them after seeing them open for PJ.

Cheers to the new songs sounding good!
    And before his first step... He's off again...
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    rholland wrote:
    Here's an FM sourced torrent:

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=513895

thanks for this link

i saw the band play a free show in toronto last night that was taped for tv...they played a whack of new songs and some classics off "z"

great great band. imho

bringing back the rawk. nice!
  • i'm all about tennessee fire right now.