for people that think the beatles are overrated.........

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited June 2007 in Other Music
you're out of you're fucking mind and need to see a doctor!!!!
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• My name is FinsburyParkCarrots and I approve of the above message.
  • you're out of you're fucking mind and need to see a doctor!!!!
    seriously dude... i agree. i've never heard anybody saying the beatles are overrated. i thought everybody liked the beatles.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • I'd never heard anybody say that The Beatles were overrated until.......I ventured over to a U2 fan site (atu2.com) and was shocked to hear a great number of people arguing that U2 is in fact a greater band than the Beatles.

Next to the Beatles and Bob Dylan, everybody else in the rock music pantheon is a second class act. That's not an insult, it's simply reality. Without John, Paul, George, Ringo and Bob, rock music would be a very different, and not as good, animal from what we know now.
    I've got to admit, it's getting better.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    you're out of you're fucking mind and need to see a doctor!!!!

why even start man? you're just going to bring out the haters. fuck them though. they are out of their minds and do need a doctor. Dr. Robert perhaps

I'm listening to Helter Skelter take 2 from the Anthology as we speak. God I'd love to hear take 3, the legendary 27 min take. the holy grail. that and the Carnival of Light would make a nice little A/B side for the Beatles to put out wouldn't you think?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • U2 is in fact a greater band than the Beatles.
    hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha
    hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

you're taking The Darkness' quote out of context putting just "U2 is in fact a greater band than the Beatles." he was talking about what he saw on a U2 site. I'm sorry but I can't stand around and let a man's good name be slandered like that
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • you're taking The Darkness' quote out of context putting just "U2 is in fact a greater band than the Beatles." he was talking about what he saw on a U2 site. I'm sorry but I can't stand around and let a man's good name be slandered like that
    i think you're the one taking it out of context. i only quoted that part just to prove my point.
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    I'd never heard anybody say that The Beatles were overrated until.......I ventured over to a U2 fan site (atu2.com) and was shocked to hear a great number of people arguing that U2 is in fact a greater band than the Beatles.

Next to the Beatles and Bob Dylan, everybody else in the rock music pantheon is a second class act. That's not an insult, it's simply reality. Without John, Paul, George, Ringo and Bob, rock music would be a very different, and not as good, animal from what we know now.

i think chuck berry and many others guys deserve a little bit of that fame the beatles has.... beatles were big influenced by them...
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    tonadax wrote:
    i think chuck berry and many others guys deserve a little bit of that fame the beatles has.... beatles were big influenced by them...
    they dont deserve at little, they deserve all the credit in the world. the only reason why the beatles and elvis get credit for is cause there white
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• they dont deserve at little, they deserve all the credit in the world. the only reason why the beatles and elvis get credit for is cause there white

No doubt, Chuck Berry and Little Richard deserve a lot of credit, but do they have nearly the catalogue of great songs that The Beatles or Dylan have? Just look at what The Beatles and Dylan did with that influence. No one else stands close.
  • I'd never heard anybody say that The Beatles were overrated until.......I ventured over to a U2 fan site (atu2.com) and was shocked to hear a great number of people arguing that U2 is in fact a greater band than the Beatles.

Add Jimi to that list, and then we're talkin'.
  • Without John, Paul, George, Ringo and Bob, rock music would be a very different, and not as good, animal from what we know now.

See, this is what I can agree with...I will not say that they are overrated...but, I don't like them all that much...I could do without them in my musical collection.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • Yeah, hearing about how great these guys are for year after year is a bit like being told to eat your vegetables because they're so good for you. But they're still good for you!
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Add Jimi to that list, and then we're talkin'.

I think we could get along without Jimi. Yeah he was good-maybe the best guitarist- but he didn't create a new supergenre. As far as I know. If you have some proof to the contrary, show it...
  • Alex_Coe wrote:
    I think we could get along without Jimi. Yeah he was good-maybe the best guitarist- but he didn't create a new supergenre. As far as I know. If you have some proof to the contrary, show it...

how the hell did the beatles create a "supergenre"?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i must admit i am one of those who gets irritated by constantly hearing/reading about the superiority of the beatles and their music.

but, there probably is a very strong case for that exact argument.

anycase offcourse i love the beatles, but they're not my favorite band.
    definately not
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    I never really understood why they are rated as highly as they are put it that way. They are one of those bands that i respect, but i just don't really listen to. I think it's the singing at times i don't like singing in unison.
  • Alex_Coe wrote:

Jimi invented rock. I'm not talking about rock and roll, or pop. I'm talking about overdriven hard rock. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards had all toyed with fuzztone, but nobody consolidated blues playing with guitar and amplification technology like Jimi. Listen to Are You Experienced, his first LP, and look what else was in the charts at the time. The album was only kept off the top spot by Sgt Pepper. There was nobody at all doing what Jimi was doing, at all.

Jimi almost singlehandedly invented fusion. John McLaughlin, Miles Davis and Larry Young knew this: they all jammed with him.

Jimi was the main force in popularising psychedelic rock. Not The Beatles, not Syd-era Floyd, not Jefferson Airplane. Jimi. Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane hit the top five on the strength of being a Beatles release. A lot of people hated the release. Purple Haze, on the other hand, was Jimi's second single, and got into the top three because of the sensation it caused at the time in England.

Jimi was the first person to combine soul with white rock to a significant degree. Clapton couldn't even begin to play little solos such as the one for Remember, perhaps the slightest track on Are You Experienced, back in 1967.

Without Jimi, there would have been no Sly, no Funkadelic. No War.

Jimi had a major influence on rap. He played on Doriella du Fontaine, with The Last Poets. Wikipedia them to find out their influence.

The importance of the Band of Gypsies album can't be understated, again for many of the above reasons.

Jimi was the first major recording artist to become an established stadium act. The Beatles had played at Shea Stadium, but Jimi was the first real crowd-pulling, regular-gigging superstar of the rock era. (There's lots to back this up. Research Concerts East and Concerts West.)

Jimi was the first major rock-star producer. He produced albums for the Buddy Miles Express, Cat Mother and Eire Apparent.

If anything, Jimi's more important than anybody, even The Beatles, because his music extends far more genuinely into classical music, contemporary electronic music and jazz. Where The Beatles with George Martin explored their aeolian cadences and orchestral scores, Jimi created sonic arrangements and exquisite chordal structures far beyond the musical and imaginative realms of contemporary popular music in the age.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/sevenages/programmes/the-birth-of-rock/
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Jimi invented rock. I'm not talking about rock and roll, or pop. I'm talking about overdriven hard rock. Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton and Keith Richards had all toyed with fuzztone, but nobody consolidated blues playing with guitar and amplification technology like Jimi. Listen to Are You Experienced, his first LP, and look what else was in the charts at the time. The album was only kept off the top spot by Sgt Pepper. There was nobody at all doing what Jimi was doing, at all.

Jimi almost singlehandedly invented fusion. John McLaughlin, Miles Davis and Larry Young knew this: they all jammed with him.

Jimi was the main force in popularising psychedelic rock. Not The Beatles, not Syd-era Floyd, not Jefferson Airplane. Jimi. Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane hit the top five on the strength of being a Beatles release. A lot of people hated the release. Purple Haze, on the other hand, was Jimi's second single, and got into the top three because of the sensation it caused at the time in England.

Jimi was the first person to combine soul with white rock to a significant degree. Clapton couldn't even begin to play little solos such as the one for Remember, perhaps the slightest track on Are You Experienced, back in 1967.

Jimi had a major influence on rap. He played on Doriella du Fontaine, with The Last Poets. Wikipedia them to find out their influence.

The importance of the Band of Gypsies album can't be understated, again for many of the above reasons.

Jimi was the first major recording artist to become an established stadium act. The Beatles had played at Shea Stadium, but Jimi was the first real crowd-pulling, regular-gigging superstar of the rock era. (There's lots to back this up. Research Concerts East and Concerts West.)

Jimi was the first major rock-star producer. He produced albums for the Buddy Miles Express, Cat Mother and Eire Apparent.

If anything, Jimi's more important than anybody, even The Beatles, because his music extends far more genuinely into classical music, contemporary electronic music and jazz. Where The Beatles with George Martin explored their aeolian cadences and orchestral scores, Jimi created sonic arrangements and exquisite chordal structures far beyond the musical and imaginative realms of contemporary popular music in the age.

Jimi was awesome.
    I am not a fan of the Beatles, not saying they are overrated just that I dont like them, Jimi I could listen to all day, the man is a fucking genius and severly underrated by many.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Jimi was awesome.
    I am not a fan of the Beatles, not saying they are overrated just that I dont like them, Jimi I could listen to all day, the man is a fucking genius and severly underrated by many.:)

that explains why you dont like oasis. theyre always ripping off the beatles. or at least trying to. LMAO!!! ;):D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174

Id put Jimi before the Beatles. If people criticise MY PERSONAL OPINION, they are the ones that need a doctor. I dont mind the Beatles, but cant be bothered with people telling me who is under rated and over rated.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Jimi was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJS8Z6dZWNQ

Watch this and follow the links for the further installments.

Here's a documentary all about the making of a "supergenre". :D
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJS8Z6dZWNQ

Watch this and follow the links for the further installments.

Here's a documentary all about the making of a "supergenre". :D

Totally kick arse as if I needed anymore proof;), thanks for the link fins.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • ArctangentArctangent Posts: 614
    seriously dude... i agree. i've never heard anybody saying the beatles are overrated. i thought everybody liked the beatles.

no, not everyone like the beatles. i can't stand them. and i don't need to see my fucking doctor, as i really don't want to cured of not liking them thanks. and i do think they were over-rated. pink floyd were a far more creative and better psychadlic band than the beatles ever were.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762

As soon as you mentioned psychadelia, I went : ouch :

EDIT: What, we don't have that smiley? Fuck. Since I can't make the smiley I need, here it is:

: ohshitijustforgothalfofhendrixscareerandnowilooklikeapresumptuouscock : ...Actually that's too long to be a smiley...
  • voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    Keep in mind, whilst the Beatles opened the door for British bands, The Stones came in behind them and kicked the door down. I don't care for most of the Beatles songs, but will acknowledge they played an important role in pop music. The Beatles and even the Stones (also see: Jimi, Clapton, etc) don't create their sound without the true pioneers of rock music:

Chuck Berry
    Little Richard
    Muddy Waters
    Robert Johnson
    Elmore James
    Buddy Holly (yes, Buddy Holly, ever heard of a Fender Stratocaster...guess who was the first mainstream act to use one)
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
    voodoopug wrote:
    Keep in mind, whilst the Beatles opened the door for British bands, The Stones came in behind them and kicked the door down. I don't care for most of the Beatles songs, but will acknowledge they played an important role in pop music. The Beatles and even the Stones (also see: Jimi, Clapton, etc) don't create their sound without the true pioneers of rock music:

Chuck Berry
    Little Richard
    Muddy Waters
    Robert Johnson
    Elmore James
    Buddy Holly (yes, Buddy Holly, ever heard of a Fender Stratocaster...guess who was the first mainstream act to use one)

Elmore James got nothing on this baby.

Pearl Jam bootlegs: