thom yorke's 'the eraser' is brilliant

1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
edited June 2008 in Other Music
I've been on such a Radiohead kick lately that I forgot about this one and dug it out after not listening for months. It took me many listens to get through, much like Kid A did, but once I did, it has proved its worth. Obviously if you're a fan of earlier Radiohead work there's nothing for you here, but even for those that like Kid A and Amnesiac, there's something still different about this album. Haunting and brilliant work from Thom!
2003 Mansfield III 
2004 Boston I 
2006 Boston I 
2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
2010 Hartford 
2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
2021 Sea.Hear.Now
2022 Camden
2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    excellent album. I prefer eraser to in rainbows.
    It wasn't easy to get into it, but after a few listens, I was blown away. Awesome album.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    i love In Rainbows. and i love The Bends and OK Computer, and to some extent Kid A and to a greater extent Hail to the Thief. but i'm outta the loop in some ways because i didn't know Thom Yorke had a solo album, and I haven't even listened to Amnesiac yet, despite having owned it for about 5 years. i probably have about 10 albums that i've had for years (up to 8 years) but haven't listened to. i just need to be in the right mood, i guess. anyway, sorry for the tangent... i'll have to check out The Eraser, maybe by the end of the next decade. :D
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    i love In Rainbows. and i love The Bends and OK Computer, and to some extent Kid A and to a greater extent Hail to the Thief. but i'm outta the loop in some ways because i didn't know Thom Yorke had a solo album, and I haven't even listened to Amnesiac yet, despite having owned it for about 5 years. i probably have about 10 albums that i've had for years (up to 8 years) but haven't listened to. i just need to be in the right mood, i guess. anyway, sorry for the tangent... i'll have to check out The Eraser, maybe by the end of the next decade. :D
    check it now ! you won't be dissapinted. i'm listening to the vinyl right now...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    The Clock makes me want to party
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Listening to it now..it is amazing, from start to finish.
  • reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
    I need to get that. Its my next cd.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Tenacious BTenacious B Posts: 77
    I'm a big fan of this disc. Hope he releases another sometime.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    A great great album.....

here's an awesome performance of The Clock - http://youtube.com/watch?v=EzjtyoYSs98
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    The Eraser is a very good album..Harrowdown Hill, Cymbal Rush, Analyse, Black Swan, The Clock..they are all great tracks. Spitting Feathers Ep wasn't as good though (released after "The Eraser") and The Eraser : Remixes had some cool tracks.
  • Well, I got it a couple of weeks ago. The first listen was like, "wow, this is strange, may be more than Kid A", but I still liked it. Within two more listens I became totally addicted. Its great. I've listened to it 90% of the time for the last two weeks. Thom Yorke truely is brilliant.

I just got the "in rainbows" bonus disc and I'm playing it for the first time.
  • Well, I got it a couple of weeks ago. The first listen was like, "wow, this is strange, may be more than Kid A", but I still liked it. Within two more listens I became totally addicted. Its great. I've listened to it 90% of the time for the last two weeks. Thom Yorke truely is brilliant.

I just got the "in rainbows" bonus disc and I'm playing it for the first time.

You'll be similarly addicted.
  • You'll be similarly addicted.

Yeah, I can already see that. What's with this band/ artist being so damn good at music???
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    I love how raw they made Thoms voice on this album. He wasn't hiding it behind any effects like on the three RH albums before The Eraser was released. I was glad to see that the same method was used for his voice on In Rainbows.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    I've been on such a Radiohead kick lately that I forgot about this one and dug it out after not listening for months. It took me many listens to get through, much like Kid A did, but once I did, it has proved its worth. Obviously if you're a fan of earlier Radiohead work there's nothing for you here, but even for those that like Kid A and Amnesiac, there's something still different about this album. Haunting and brilliant work from Thom!

Kicks In Rainbows arse.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    I went out and bought the Eraser on Friday (along with the live recordings) and gonna listen to it for my first time right now.

Before I open the live recording does anyone know how good it is?
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Kenny Olav wrote:

radiohead had taken a few years off and thom couldn't sit still and stop writing, i read in an interview before in rainbows came out that he just had too much to say and couldn't wait for radiohead to get back together so he put 'the eraser' out

i haven't listened to the vinyl enough, here's 2 good versions of analyse

from the mercury music awards
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p8uGdz0LwY8

From the Basement (he played a few other songs from his solo album on that, too)
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DMymWzvfM7Q
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    Red Lukin wrote:
    I went out and bought the Eraser on Friday (along with the live recordings) and gonna listen to it for my first time right now.

Before I open the live recording does anyone know how good it is?

are you talking about the i might be wrong ep w/ true love waits? that's pretty good, that's the only thing w/ true love waits on it
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    The cd also has the best packaging/artwork since No Code, fact.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • The_Fixer The_Fixer Posts: 255
    Make sure to check out the Spitting Feathers (EP).

It's all the B-Sides from Eraser.

Track listing

"The Drunkk Machine" – 4:07
    "A Rat's Nest" – 3:35
    "Jetstream" – 3:44
    "Harrowdown Hill" (Extended Mix) – 7:01
    "Iluvya" – 2:59
    "Harrowdown Hill" (video)
    Montreal 08/20/98 | New York 09/11/98 | Wantagh 08/24/00 | Montreal 10/04/00 | Montreal 06/29/03 | Montreal 09/15/05
    Toronto 05/10/06 | Vancouver 04/02//08 (Ed) | Manchester 06/14/08 | Montreal 08/09/08 (Ed) | Montreal 08/10/08 (Ed) 
    Albany 06/08/09 (Ed) | Philadelphia 10/31/09 | Montreal 09/07/11 | Ottawa 05/08/16 | Brooklyn 04/07/17 (RRHOF)
    Dana Point 09/09/17 (Ed) | Rome 06/26/18
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Its not Better than In Rainbows... but its in the same league as far as quality is concerned... I can't really say its worse than In Rainbows either though... And It Rains All night and Skip Divided are some of my favorite songs... The album is just so good...
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    he has played one song from this on the Radiohead tour right? just one?