Zeppelin DVD

yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Hey, I was just wondering if there were any good Led Zeppelin DVD's out there worth owning. I'm looking for something that has a whole concert of theirs. Thanks.
you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BrainOfJDBrainOfJD Posts: 242
    The Song Remains the Same is classic. As I recall, there's some silly stuff with them romping through the English countryside, etc, but there's also some great performace footage like a 20 minute Dazed & Confused. Of course I haven't seen it since I was in high school like 15 years ago and I was pretty dazed and confused myself at the time, if you know what I sayin', har har...
    10 million dune buggies comin' down the mountain
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I have the soundtrack to Dazed and Confused (its the entire audio from that concert at MSG) and its awesome. However, I've heard some pretty bad reviews of it from friends of mine who have seen it. I think I heard something about How the West Was Won on DVD, does anyone know about this?
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

edwho wrote:

Woah. I may have to utilize this.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    Get on Fisheads mailing list if you like that kind of stuff. Watch for the specials. He says that he doesn’t rate the quality but he really does with cost. The best sounding, most complete shows are the most expensive. More audio than video offered though.

Get the official Led Zeppelin DVD recommended above. It’s amazing and is jam packed with footage of LZ through the years. You also can’t beat the audio and video quality. After that you might want to get the bootleg Earls Court 1975 footage or Knebworth 1979. Both are pretty complete concerts. The one Earls Court concert offered is nearly complete and was a 4 hour performance. Thank heavens for early video screens!

The Song Remains the Same was great when it was the only thing out there. But that was made from three NY concerts (even after the fact restaging) to reproduce a prefect LZ concert.

This picture is from the Robert Plant / Pearl Jam concert at the House of Blues in 2005. I took it during Thank You. I believe it’s Mike channeling Jimmy Page.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/Chicago%20House%20of%20Blues%202005/MikeMcCreedyPJHOB2005.jpg

Did you make out who’s behind Mike’s right elbow in the above picture?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g186/usedbucket/Chicago%20House%20of%20Blues%202005/RobertPlantMikeMcCreedyMarkHOB2005.jpg

Photo Credit: Kerensa Wight

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    The newer dvd simply titled Led Zeppelin (came out in like 2003)--GET IT NOW. It'll blow your mind--REALLY.
  • The Self Tittled DVD (With the Dessert packaging) is a MUST OWN. The first disc from '69 is one of the single most impressive, pure ROCK & F'IN ROLL!!!! performances that I have ever witnessed. Buy it NOW!!!!
    I was taught a month ago to bide my time and take it slow, but then I learned just yesterday to rush and never waste a day. Now I'm convinced the whole day long that all I've learned is always wrong. Things are true that I forget, but no one taught that to me yet
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    Like others are saying get the self titled DVD- i thought i knew how good they were, but I didnt until i saw this dvd- absolutely incredible.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    cutback wrote:

Those two are the two most well known, I'd say. Well, the only two I've ever seen and heard of - and for good reason. Both feature some amazing footage of the greatest band to ever live.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • Stay away from "The Song Remains The Same" until they finally remaster it and re-release it on DVD. It's actually quite an embarassing film, with lots of bad editing and and sychronization. In other words, the visuals don't match the audio. Some of the footage is even fake (shot on a soundstage). It's a good example of how NOT to make a concert film. Hopefully, they're busy remastering it for DVD and fixing all of the glaring problems with the original film.

The new self-titled double DVD, on the other hand, is amazing! All of the visuals perfectly match the audio and the sound has been fixed up in Pro-Tools and remixed in 2.0 and 5.1 surround! You don't get a "complete" concert, but you get tons of highlights shot in 4 different cities...and lots of bonus stuff too.
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Another mention for the sel-titled DVD here. It's bloody amazing.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Another mention for the sel-titled DVD here. It's bloody amazing.
    yeah thats the one to get, -the song remains the same- you can probablypick up on the cheap if you look around but I wouldnt bother as its a psychodelic film whatever that is a little silly
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    I actually dont care for The Song Remains the Same-it has lots of bizarre fantasy scenes and there isn't enough music in my opinion....

The self titled dvd is amazing and was pretty much heroin for me and my friends when we all first got into Zep. It was like our freakin Holy Grail. Tons of amazing shit on this and I think the first disc is a complete concert like you asked for.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    read somewhere recently that ledzep have sold around 20million records since 1990,,,,,,,incredible if true, got into them in 96 but was pretty much on my own, a lot of my friends were put off by any music their fathers liked...................always hear about the beatles and the stones but not as much seems to be said about led zep, for me they are just amazing
  • LedZepFan wrote:
    I think the first disc is a complete concert like you asked for.

It's about 75% of the concert.
    I guess I'll check out the ST DVD. Thanks for all the input and help.