Constructive Criticism, please?

miskinmiskin Posts: 278
edited March 2008 in Other Music
Hey my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/andrewhillsmusic

im not a solo artist, i play bass in a band but recorded a couple of covers for fun!

I did:
Cat Power - Maybe Not
and
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the aeroplane over the sea
i screwed up the vocals a bit on this though... trying to fix it atm on logic.

anyway i dont know that much about recording so feedback would be cool

myspace.com/airstriponeuk
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yeah, the cat power cover your voice sounds really good... sort of like elliott smith... the cure cover sounds good too. but, as you said, you messed up the vocals on "in the aeroplane over the sea," you were right. haha, not good at all. but, atleast you can sing better than what's recorded onto that song.

listen to my stuff too if you want... its' on my signature. and, don't worry... my voice isn't that great either... just a fun thing.
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • by the way... on "the aeroplane over the sea," were you trying to sound sloppy like jeff mangum? sort of sounds that way. but, i'd just tell you to sound as good as you can. just use your own voice...
    music. love. life.

the stickman's ghost: www.myspace.com/yield1914
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    Props to anyone with the stones to cover The Cure's Just Like Heaven! There were a few phrasings in the song where your voice had a slight Frank Black vibe to it. Nice job.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I seem to be the only one who thinks you did a better job of ITAOTS :) great cover. That, and Maybe Not, are two of my favourite songs ever and I feel that you rushed Maybe Not a bit with the vocals. Nothing disastrous, it just sounded a bit like you were racing to the end of every line. I like your voice though.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I seem to be the only one who thinks you did a better job of ITAOTS :) great cover. That, and Maybe Not, are two of my favourite songs ever and I feel that you rushed Maybe Not a bit with the vocals. Nothing disastrous, it just sounded a bit like you were racing to the end of every line. I like your voice though.

perhaps i was. i know this is criminal but ive never actually heard the full original song by cat power, only a cover of it. i should definately listen to the cat power version. i'll do that now.

ive since put up a cover of the Lemonheads 'hannah & gabi' as well =)
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    miskin wrote:
    perhaps i was. i know this is criminal but ive never actually heard the full original song by cat power, only a cover of it. i should definately listen to the cat power version. i'll do that now.

ive since put up a cover of the Lemonheads 'hannah & gabi' as well =)
    Ah, that makes sense. It was a fine cover and maybe your version is faithful to the one you've heard. I only know the original and I know it like the back of my hand, hence me picking up little discrepancies with the timing etc :)

You should definitely hear the original anyway: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CwpjdK9baEQ&feature=related

Keep it up :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • miskinmiskin Posts: 278
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Ah, that makes sense. It was a fine cover and maybe your version is faithful to the one you've heard. I only know the original and I know it like the back of my hand, hence me picking up little discrepancies with the timing etc :)

You should definitely hear the original anyway: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CwpjdK9baEQ&feature=related

Keep it up :)

thanks im now listening to the original. she has a really haunting voice. its much slower than i thought it would be. i really like this!