THE REAL TOP 10 ALBUMS of 2007!!

INDIFFERENCE MAKERINDIFFERENCE MAKER Posts: 274
edited January 2008 in Other Music
here is the list of the top 10 albums of 2007, not a bunch of indie albums that were good that you will put away never to get out again, but the albums that you will be listening to this time next year.

1. In Rainbows--Radiohead
2. Magic--Bruce Sprinsteen
3. Sky Blue Sky--Wilco
4. Graduation--Kanye West
5. Kings of Leon--Because of The Times
6. Bright Eyes--Cassadaga
7. The National--Boxer
8. Foo Fighters--Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace
9. NIN--Year Zero
10. Queens of the Stone Age--Era Vulgaris
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Sorry, but in my opinion, any list like this without Neon Bible is completely invalid.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • here is the list of the top 10 albums of 2007, not a bunch of indie albums that were good that you will put away never to get out again, but the albums that you will be listening to this time next year.

3. Sky Blue Sky--Wilco
    7. The National--Boxer
    9. NIN--Year Zero

Kanye West is the cheesiest rapper ever
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Kanye West is the cheesiest rapper ever

Agreed. He's become the Radiohead of the hip hop world. No matter what he does, the critics will cream themselves over it.
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    No Icky Thump? LMAO!
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Sorry, but in my opinion, any list like this without Neon Bible is completely invalid.

I'd just like to take another post to tell you that arcade fire suck.
  • boroff89 wrote:

Got there before me..
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    I'd just like to take another post to tell you that arcade fire suck.

You have the right to your opinion. But wow are you missing out. I wish you could ask the 35,000 or so people that rocked out to them in complete bliss at Coachella in 2005. I am sure it was even a bigger number when they played it this past year. Or the sold-out Shoreline Ampitheater here in the Bay Area earlier this year (18,000 people?), with the people far more into the Arcade Fire than I have ever seen a Shoreline crowd into Pearl Jam. Or any of the massive number of music critics who spend their entire lives listening to music and who have rated both Arcade Fire albums as among the very best of albums released in their respective years.

Pearl Jam has been my favorite band for 16 years now. The Beatles have been right there for my entire music listening life. I am now putting Arcade Fire in their company. That's how strongly they have inspired me. So maybe instead of saying they "suck," which is a really difficult case to make given the evidence, maybe you should just say that they aren't your thing. That's what I would say about Kings of Leon. I can't say they suck. But they aren't my thing.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    boroff89 wrote:
    +1

Icky Thump needs to be on this list as well.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • boroff89 wrote:
    You have the right to your opinion. But wow are you missing out. I wish you could ask the 35,000 or so people that rocked out to them in complete bliss at Coachella in 2005. I am sure it was even a bigger number when they played it this past year. Or the sold-out Shoreline Ampitheater here in the Bay Area earlier this year (18,000 people?), with the people far more into the Arcade Fire than I have ever seen a Shoreline crowd into Pearl Jam. Or any of massive number of music critics who spend their entire lives listening to music and who have rated both Arcade Fire albums as among the very best of albums released in their respective years.

Pearl Jam has been my favorite band for 16 years now. The Beatles have been right there for my entire music listening life. I am now putting Arcade Fire in their company. That's how strongly they have inspired me. So maybe instead of saying they "suck," which is a really difficult case to make given the evidence, maybe you should just say that they aren't your thing. That's what I would say about Kings of Leon. I can't say they suck. But they aren't my thing.

I second that!
    "I write a letter to a friend of mine
    I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
    See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
    Haven't seen him smile in a little while
    But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
    Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
    R.I.P. JEN
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    boroff89 wrote:
    You have the right to your opinion. But wow are you missing out. I wish you could ask the 35,000 or so people that rocked out to them in complete bliss at Coachella in 2005. I am sure it was even a bigger number when they played it this past year. Or the sold-out Shoreline Ampitheater here in the Bay Area earlier this year (18,000 people?), with the people far more into the Arcade Fire than I have ever seen a Shoreline crowd into Pearl Jam. Or any of the massive number of music critics who spend their entire lives listening to music and who have rated both Arcade Fire albums as among the very best of albums released in their respective years.

great post. Arcade Fire have released the 2 best albums this decade for me. Amazing.
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    boroff89 wrote:

I have no idea what the hype about this band is, They are the flavor of the month and in another year people will be asking the Arcade Who???
  • jsk175 wrote:
    I have no idea what the hype about this band is, They are the flavor of the month and in another year people will be asking the Arcade Who???

They've been 'flavour of the month' since around 2005.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
    jsk175 wrote:

They are no flash in the pan. They will be around for a long, long time. As already stated, they have had this buzz around them for about 3 years now.
  • jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    They've been 'flavour of the month' since around 2005.

Whatever, who cares. Why dont you just start another post talking about how much you love Arcade fire. I just get sick of self riteous people going on and on about what's valid. Who cares that a bunch of people go to a Arcade Fire concert. A bunch of people go to see Hanna Montana and Brittany Spears, does that make them great? I dont think so. I just think its funny that the first reply to this post is that without the Arcade Fire this list isnt Valid. ha please come down off your pedistal and stop being so arrogant.
  • Any list without Zeitgeist is a joke IMO.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    jsk175 wrote:
    Whatever, who cares. Why dont you just start another post talking about how much you love Arcade fire. I just get sick of self riteous people going on and on about what's valid. Who cares that a bunch of people go to a Arcade Fire concert. A bunch of people go to see Hanna Montana and Brittany Spears, does that make them great? I dont think so. I just think its funny that the first reply to this post is that without the Arcade Fire this list isnt Valid. ha please come down off your pedistal and stop being so arrogant.

Wow. How to begin to address this one.

1. This top ten list was posted. I expect it was posted looking for responses to its contents. I responded. That is what a message board is (or what it is supposed to be). Please note that I began by post with "In my opinion. . ." I did not state it as fact. It was my opinion. And of course my opinion is going to be that the list is invalid if it does not include an album that I view as the best of the decade to this point.

2. From a certain perspective, yes, Britney Spears and Hanah Montana are great. I would call them great entertainers rather than great musicians, but they are great none the less. They create a powerful emotional response in their audiences. That is what greatness is all about. Arcade Fire are great musicians and great performers. If you set aside YOUR arrogant and all knowing perspective, set aside your blatant biases, and actually experienced an Arcade Fire show, you'd probably begin to see why. Why is it that a NEW great band can't exist? How exactly do you think popular bands come into being? They just drop from the sky with six hugely successful records? To call Arcade Fire a flavor of the month is ignorant bullshit. They have produced two of the best records of the decade and have established a devoted and passionate fanbase.
  • boroff89 wrote:

I stand corrected... They aren't my thing... At a few points I really thought I was missing out and really wanted to like them... but it just comes down to that I hate them... I REALLY REALLY hate them.
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    the inclusion of foo fighters on that list immediately tells me that said list is bollocks. mediocrity at it's grandest.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    2 good songs on Neon Bible, the rest is filled with mediocrity. Bad vocals too.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    itsevobaby wrote:
    the inclusion of foo fighters on that list immediately tells me that said list is bollocks. mediocrity at it's grandest.

i disagree.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    brain of c wrote:
    i disagree.

and you are wrong, as for the list year zero is only worth mentioning because of the AMAZING publicity buildup the album is crap, Magic is ok, but ok shouldn't be on best of 07 list. Like where are Les Savy Fav or Spoon, Dinosaur Jr? I imagine most people don't know who Ike Reilly or Two Cow Garage are so even though those were my 2 fav albums this year I dont expect to see them on here but come on Bright Eyes?
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    itsevobaby wrote:

i agree.

i keep hearing new Foo on the radio and for lack of a better word or phrase it is awefullllll...so repetitive and boring.

it's forcing me to want to listen to some of the older material and try and convince me that at one time it wasn't this bad.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    brainofPJ wrote:
    i agree.

i keep hearing new Foo on the radio and for lack of a better word or phrase it is awefullllll...so repetitive and boring.

it's forcing me to want to listen to some of the older material and try and convince me that at one time it wasn't this bad.
    i'm not a hater at all either, the self-titled & colour are great records, but from then on it comes in bits & pieces.
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    jsk175 wrote:

I highly doubt that. Neon Bible proved that these guys are no one-hit-wonder. They're one of the most unique and inspiring bands to come along in ages, and they're gonna be around for a while.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    itsevobaby wrote:
    i'm not a hater at all either, the self-titled & colour are great records, but from then on it comes in bits & pieces.
    I tend to agree. They're a band thats built for their live show where they can throw out a good portion of their album.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    itsevobaby wrote:

You know, it's interesting. I have never loved the Foos. They've had songs here and there that I loved, but I had never loved a Foo Fighters album. . .until this one. It is my biggest surprise of the year. Perfect mix of their rocking and mellow sides. The Pretender is probably one of the weaker efforts on the album, and that's all I hear on the radio here in San Francisco.
  • Some of these bands in the best of list you people have is just pure garbage. All this hype for Arcade fire, the singer has no passion and there lryics are terrible.

Velvet Revolver-Libertad
    Eddie Vedder-Into the wild
    Matthew Good-Hospital music
    Sebastian Bach-Angel down
    Robert Plant,Alisson Kraus
    Foo Fighters-Echos
    Chris Cornell-Carry on
    Some of these bands in the best of list you people have is just pure garbage. All this hype for Arcade fire, the singer has no passion and there lryics are terrible.

Velvet Revolver-Libertad
    Eddie Vedder-Into the wild
    Matthew Good-Hospital music
    Sebastian Bach-Angel down
    Robert Plant,Alisson Kraus
    Foo Fighters-Echos
    Chris Cornell-Carry on

Holy smokes. No passion and terrible lyrics? Have you ever actually listened to them or seen them play? See my earlier responses on Arcade Fire in this thread. I am not even going to bother addressing that ridiculously ignorant thread you just started on them.

And then you list Velvet Revolver, Sebastian Bach, and Chris Cornell's albums as among the best of the year???? Cornell's album was the worst album I heard all year (and I love Cornell!). The other two weren't far from it. Talk about bad lyrics and bad singing. . .
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    here is the list of the top 10 albums of 2007, not a bunch of indie albums that were good that you will put away never to get out again, but the albums that you will be listening to this time next year.

3. Sky Blue Sky--Wilco
    7. The National--Boxer
    9. NIN--Year Zero

Pretty cool list. I don't think the Foo Fighters would make my top ten but i was pleasantly surprised by that album.

I think my favs this year were
    modest mouse- we were dead long before the ship sank
    national- boxer
    arcade fire- neon bible
    wilco- sky blue sky
    baroness- red album

those are probably my top 5 though they seem to change a bit as i listen to my 07 albums more and more.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • phatuciniphatucini Posts: 399
    Any list without Zeitgeist is a joke IMO.
    I honestly think Zeitgeist is a joke! And I LOOVE the Pumpkins! before Zeitgeist that is! The new ones is Billy Corgan solo in old packaging, period!