First thoughts on Hypnotize anyone?

EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
edited November 2005 in Other Music
So what's everyone think of the second half of their two releases? I think musically this might compete as my favorite album they've released, or a close second to the first album. Lyrically I think they're getting repetitive and stale in a lot of their songs. However the way they present them is becoming more and more creative with each album except for Toxicity. I think that was their only step back, but since then its been on the up and up. I think it was a great release and it's a very fast listen, not quite as catchy as mezmerize, but there's more depth to it and more to grasp. So to those that care, what does everyone else think?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    meh.

It's alright. They have released 2 of top 5 albums released by mainstream bands this year. Which is not saying anything. Probably won't be in my top 25
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Echoes wrote:
    meh.

It's alright. They have released 2 of top 5 albums released by mainstream bands this year. Which is not saying anything. Probably won't be in my top 25

anything mainstream sucks fool.
  • EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Cannabis wrote:
    anything mainstream sucks fool.

Not true at all, I think Trent Reznor managed to release a very competant record this year, and Radiohead manages to release great albums, so I think that is an erroneous thought that is perpetuated by stereotypical indie kids. While I feel that most mainstream releases have been rather underwhelming this year, it would be closeminded to discount the entire mainstream just because I currently enjoy bands that aren't necessarily in the mainstream. It is just as ignorant as disliking a band solely based on the fact that all the indiekids love them and some hipster review site gave them a massive rating..
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Suprisingly enough, this years wasn't the worse for mainstream music. Not the greatest year, but a few albums that came out were pretty good.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • CuriousCurious Posts: 732
    Love it. More with every listen.

I agree, it's definately not as immediate as Mesmerize was, which in this case I believe to be a good thing, every day I've found a new favourite song on there.

And Vicinity Of Obscenity gives me the broadest grin any music has for a long long time.
    "The secret of creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." - Einstein
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    Curious wrote:
    it's definately not as immediate as Mesmerize was
    exactly, just picked this up and nothing jumped out at me. the best thing about it i thought was how cool it was both cases fit together!
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • Haven't listened to it properly yet, my bro put it on for a while in the car earlier. What's track 10 called? That's bloody hilarious!!!
    (
    =) wah wah waaaah!!! ..........viking banjo hits of the 70's!
    (
    Haven't listened to it properly yet, my bro put it on for a while in the car earlier. What's track 10 called? That's bloody hilarious!!!

She's Like Heroin.

Hilarious and yet at the same time, kinda creepy.
  • Curious wrote:
    She's Like Heroin.

Hilarious and yet at the same time, kinda creepy.

They do it so well though. Did you go see them when they were in the uk? Early summer i think it was! My mate and i missed tix for london so we flew up to Glasgow to see them. They were amazing!!
    (
    (
    They do it so well though. Did you go see them when they were in the uk? Early summer i think it was! My mate and i missed tix for london so we flew up to Glasgow to see them. They were amazing!!

No couldnt afford it, and now I'm insanely jealous of you...

...and just noticed you live in my city!
  • Curious wrote:
    No couldnt afford it, and now I'm insanely jealous of you...

...and just noticed you live in my city!

Haha your city eh? Well im honoured to be here :P I'm one of them student types
    (
    (
    Haha your city eh? Well im honoured to be here :P I'm one of them student types

I'm just one of those strange locals... pleased to meet your acquaintance.
  • Curious wrote:
    I'm just one of those strange locals... pleased to meet your acquaintance.

Groovy, i now know 2 pompey people cos of this board. Kinda weird when you think about it. I'll pm you
    (
    (
  • EvilMerlin wrote:
    So what's everyone think of the second half of their two releases? I think musically this might compete as my favorite album they've released, or a close second to the first album. Lyrically I think they're getting repetitive and stale in a lot of their songs. However the way they present them is becoming more and more creative with each album except for Toxicity. I think that was their only step back, but since then its been on the up and up. I think it was a great release and it's a very fast listen, not quite as catchy as mezmerize, but there's more depth to it and more to grasp. So to those that care, what does everyone else think?

You think Toxicity was a step back? To each his I guess but, musically it blows the first album away.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Curious wrote:
    Love it. More with every listen.

And Vicinity Of Obscenity gives me the broadest grin any music has for a long long time.

Me too man, me too.
  • OutOfBreathOutOfBreath Posts: 1,804
    First impression is that it is good. Not as immediate as Mesmerize but it's coming around after a few spins in the player. I recommend highly to listen to the albums back to back, as they complement eachother nicely. After the intense attack of Mesmerize, you get some more complex ones on Hypnotize. Now, Hynotize dont score as high with me as Mesmerize, partly because the novelty and originality that blew me away on Mesmerize is just repeated on Hypnotize. But it is an double album, so that's no wonder I guess.

But all told, I like it a lot. Definitely one of the better releases this year. And if you view Mesmerize/Hypnotize as just one double-album it is definitely the best release this year. Of for nothign else, because of them bringing the insane tempo-shifts of extreme experimental metal/rock into the mainstream. It is so good to be pleasantly surprised by a band again. They went back to what I really loved on their first release. The unrelenting anger, the quirkiness, the experimental and playful sound, and added into the mix, one learns that daron actually has a decent vocal that complements Serj's brilliant voice.

good moments on hypnotize include:
    Dreaming: I am weak for the operatic sequences they throw in, like revenga on mesmerize as well
    Kill rock'n'roll: Just a really rousing song.
    Holy Mountain: like PLUCK they again vent their rage against the armenian genocide with pure, real-felt anger. Just the way they scream the chorus: "Liar, Killer, Demon" gives me chills.

a big thumbs up!

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965