The Roots

SavedFuckerSavedFucker Posts: 215
edited October 2007 in Other Music
talented MC backed by a very underrated band. ?uestlove's is a human drum machine. I love the bassist (or former bassist?) too. I saw them live..they did a pretty emotional cover of Masters of War. They also did an awesome tribute to Bono and U2. Any other fans around here?
i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i saw them at lollapalooza and wasn't as into as i'd hoped. but i was prety far back and a bit exhausted from an already long day. i'd like to see them in a club when i'm fresh some time. they are amazing. game theory is one of the best albums i own.
  • I always like The Seed
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • dana_bdana_b Posts: 141
    I just started to get into them when I bought "Game Theory" and saw them at Rock The Bells. Their guitarist is pretty damn good too!! I had a blast at the show.
  • The Roots are fucking incredible. One of the best live bands out there right now, by far. My favorite album of theirs is "Phrenology." But a couple of my friends are really old school fans and we jam "The Roots Come Alive!" all the time.
  • The Roots are the only band besides PJ that I consistently see every time they're in town.

Make sure to see them at a club show. It's a much better atmosphere to see them in.
    NERDS!
  • Saw them open up for Rage Against the Machine at the Gorge. It was supposed to be Wu-Tang and Rage but Wu-Tang got replaced by the Roots.
    At the time I didn't know what to think, other then their drummer was tight.
    Obviously I know who the Roots are now.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    first time at Lolla- LOVED THEM never really knew much about them as I never listen to shit radio anymore or watch MTV or VH1 so I really never get exposed to much new stuff save a fluke here or there.

I was immensly impressed with them and would see them again easily.

I found them all to be incredibly talented musicaians, and theri show was great. Theri nicknaems for each other are fucking funny- Lord of the Strings...
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    coming to my school next week but i've barely heard anything other than they're awesome live...what should i go for first
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • r1vers wrote:
    coming to my school next week but i've barely heard anything other than they're awesome live...what should i go for first

My Roots album rankings.

1. Things Fall Apart
    2. Game Theory
    3. Do You Want More?
    4. Illadelph Halflife
    5. Tipping Point
    6. Phrenology
    7. Organix

But they are all amazing in their own way.
    NERDS!
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I saw them at Coachella and they are definitely my favorite Hip Hop group now. They have a very entertaining live show.
  • My Roots album rankings.

1. Things Fall Apart
    2. Game Theory
    3. Do You Want More?
    4. Illadelph Halflife
    5. Tipping Point
    6. Phrenology
    7. Organix

Mine is this:

1. Phrenology
    2. Roots Come Alive
    3. Things Fall Apart
    4. Do You Want More?
    5. Game Theory
    6. Iladelph Halflife
    7. Tipping Point

Never heard Organix.
  • My Roots album rankings.

1. Things Fall Apart
    2. Game Theory
    3. Do You Want More?
    4. Illadelph Halflife
    5. Tipping Point
    6. Phrenology
    7. Organix

Mine is this:

1. Phrenology
    2. Roots Come Alive
    3. Things Fall Apart
    4. Do You Want More?
    5. Game Theory
    6. Iladelph Halflife
    7. Tipping Point

Never heard Organix.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    My Roots album rankings.

1. Things Fall Apart
    2. Game Theory
    3. Do You Want More?
    4. Illadelph Halflife
    5. Tipping Point
    6. Phrenology
    7. Organix

is your copy of roots come alive one disc or two? i thought it was only one, but amazon has a 2 disc limited special edition on its website. i'm wondering if it's worth it.
  • Ben Kenney was the bassist on Phrenology, but he left and joined Incubus during A Crow Left of the Murder...
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • Ben Kenney was the bassist on Phrenology, but he left and joined Incubus during A Crow Left of the Murder...

No, he was actually The Roots' guitarist. He left to play bass with Incubus.
  • i like these guys a lot, they are excellent live
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    I've seen them five times , three in Philly , Coachella , and Lollapalooza . Absolutely amazing live band. Not a huge hip hop fan , but make an exception for The Roots . Then again , whatever style they play on any given song is pure class.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • No, he was actually The Roots' guitarist. He left to play bass with Incubus.

Oh, sweet... I thought it was bass... so that explains how he's pretty good at guitar... well he also had that other band too, but yeah.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • r1versr1vers Posts: 244
    all of your recommendations & live were confirmed last night when they played at my school. the best hip hop show i've ever seen (not that there are a lot on that list..but still). watching them go into a 15 minute version of 'masters of war' w/ just guitar/drums/horns from the catwalks above the stage is something i won't soon forget. their guitarist 'captain kirk douglas' destroyed me on it - launched into a SOLID solo with great stage presence and he's got an awesome voice too. and from watching questlove from above during his drum solo prior to that i can testify he's got some serious skills. very talented band.
    "Last time I think we played that song here was like, a long time ago, and there was a bonfire in the back and people were like throwing each other into it...very exciting days but a huge fucking relief that that's not how it is tonight..." Ed Irvine Night 1 2003, after Deep
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    I saw them open up for DMB and they were pretty damn good. I havnt heard any of their albums yet. But Questlove came out later on with DMB and rocked the drums and then the full band came out and rocked out the next night. Also they played Masters of War which was pretty awesome.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."