Who Will Take Over The Rock Reign?

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited August 2006 in Other Music
It always makes me curious, who will be the next big musical acts in the world of rock & roll? It seems that all we have left, that can sell out major venues, are the old times (Aerosmith, Bruce, U2, Rolling Stones, etc.), and then a select group of artists that are remaining from the '90s (DMB, Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, Radiohead, Tool, Nine Inch Nails). In all honesty, in ten years, I don't know if any of those bands will still be around - Pearl Jam will be in their 50s, Dave will be close to 50, but Carter and Boyd will be close to 60. What bands have the commercial appeal, and the musical talent that willl allow them to make it to the big time? I can't really see anyone becoming successfull and popular, but still be able to make amazing music, the way that PJ, Chili Peppers, DMB, etc. do. Here are some ones I think could become famous, but I don't think any have the commercial or mainstream appeal to make it that big...

Drive By Truckers
Robert Randolph
The Mars Volta
The Black Keys
My Morning Jacket
John Butler Trio
Umphrey's McGee
Wolfmother
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Tenacious D.

There can be no other.
    Consider me an abscess
    Leave me in my vacuum
    Blood on all the pistons
    Running my transmission
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    drew0 wrote:

Drive By Truckers
    Robert Randolph
    The Mars Volta
    The Black Keys
    My Morning Jacket
    John Butler Trio
    Umphrey's McGee
    Wolfmother

i can't see any of them getting that big.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Very good observation. I have been calling for a new "wave" of rock. I truly think it is coming. Just don't know who or what it is. It is definitely time though. :) The 80's sucked imo and the 90's ruled! Now it's time for something new. Besides that, it is definitely bleak on the oldies tour. Like you said, PJ will be in their 50's (which really isn't that bad), but other than that bleak. Help! :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Out of that list probably MMJ.

The next big rock 'regin holders' won't be big and popular.

People have retarded themselves and i can't see actual good music really making a rebound into mainstream.

Which is why MMJ have a shot.

I dunno... who says we've seen the next kings yet? :)

Pearl Jam definetly hold the reigns now. Even if you hate the band I think that's a pretty solid statement.

On second thought, Neil Young is probably leading the pack... Maybe Dylan.. But Neil's live shows are still stellar. Respect your elders!
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I don't really see any of those bands becoming to the popularity of Chili Peppers, DMB, or Pearl Jam, but those are the only really talented / "up and coming" bands that I see. I keep hoping something pops up. I love huge concerts, where I'm only one person in a sea, and everyone is singing along, and the band is original, talented, and amazing to watch. Sadly, I don't see anyone on the horizon to go and see once Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, and DMB throw in the towel.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    drew0 wrote:
    I don't really see any of those bands becoming to the popularity of Chili Peppers, DMB, or Pearl Jam, but those are the only really talented / "up and coming" bands that I see. I keep hoping something pops up. I love huge concerts, where I'm only one person in a sea, and everyone is singing along, and the band is original, talented, and amazing to watch. Sadly, I don't see anyone on the horizon to go and see once Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, and DMB throw in the towel.
    Arcade Fire possibly. Maybe the Killers. There's not a band with more than two albums out that I think has a chance.

So hard to say because no had heard of Guns n Roses prior to their first release then a year later they were huge. There's so much luck to do with sticking together that it's hard to say.

As much as I love Pearl Jam I think you'd have to rate U2 as the number one live draw.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    three words

FALL OUT BOY

best album I may have ever heard last year and they can only be getting better
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Lmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • fall out boy?

that's a joke right?
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    far into the future..there are alot of excellent underground bands, but who will be the next big act? it remains to be seen.
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • fall out boy?

that's a joke right?
    It has to be.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    older people always think new generations are worse...it´s bullshit...many of those bands who people mentioned before play good rock but, i don´t see them like a the new rock revolution or being remembered as a one of greatest bands of all time, or maybe i´m wrong............

Incubus
    army of everyone
    pavement
    my morning jacket
    slipknot
    korn
    alter bridge
    the used
    glassjaw
    as i lay dying
    crazyfits
    in flames
    trivium
    killwitch engaged
    foo fighters
    seether
    silverchair
    artic monkeys
    the white stripes
    and of course The Rolling Stones
  • while i can't comment on all the bands drew0 has listed i can say that without a doubt when you have 3 super talented, absolutely KILLER, singer/songwriter/guitar players in ONE BAND you have got something going.

Drive By Truckers are it
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Mastodon is here to rule the rock world. Blood Mountain the major label debut is out in a month and a half and all will bow to their dominance!!

Just kidding :D

I hope their new album is not mainstream enough to catch casual rock fans. I can't imagine hearing march of the fire ants on a pop station. It seems like for a rock band to reach that big time status they have to be able to have a couple songs cross over and be played on pop stations
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    tonadax wrote:
    army of everyone

We have yet to see what these guys are like. And personally, I hope they don't last so STP can get back together.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.