Options

The Bends Just Blew My Mind

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited February 2006 in Other Music
I've always been a casual fan of Radiohead. Last summer I bought the Bends, listened to it through two or three times, and thought it was alright - didn't think it was as good as Kid A or OK Computer. A few weeks ago, I put the Bends back in - and it blew my mind five times over. I'm amazed - it's beautiful, stunning, powerful, unique. I never thought it was true when people said you have to listen to a Radiohead album a few times, put it away, and then let it come back to you when you're in the right move and you'll get it - and I did just that. I haven't stopped listening to it for weeks. It's that damn amazing.
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    yes! that was the album that first got me into them. i truly thought they'd be a one hit wonder with Creep, which I liked but it didn't inspire me to check out their album. when The Bends came out, I heard about 3 or 4 songs and thought, basically... WOW... and of course the whole album is light years beyond their first album and OK Computer goes even further.
  • Options
    Honestly I enjoyed Pablo Honey back in the day. I thought there some great songs on there as well as Creep. But I'm glad you've gotten into The Bends as there are some amazing guitar songs on that.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    the bends and ok computer just amazing. i really love them, i had a similar story, i listened randomly thought ok , its alright, then i listened recently and i thought they were brilliant
  • Options
    KricketKricket Posts: 707
    The same kinda thing happens to me with Radiohead, I find that a go awhile without putting them on and then when I do, it makes me wounder why I don't listen to them more often. Great band and amazing live show.
  • Options
    PaulJamPaulJam Posts: 163
    drew0 wrote:
    I've always been a casual fan of Radiohead. Last summer I bought the Bends, listened to it through two or three times, and thought it was alright - didn't think it was as good as Kid A or OK Computer. A few weeks ago, I put the Bends back in - and it blew my mind five times over. I'm amazed - it's beautiful, stunning, powerful, unique. I never thought it was true when people said you have to listen to a Radiohead album a few times, put it away, and then let it come back to you when you're in the right move and you'll get it - and I did just that. I haven't stopped listening to it for weeks. It's that damn amazing.

Yep, sounds about right.
  • Options
    Same thing happened with me with Hail ti the Thief. I was totally underwhelmed at first. It was probably a good year and a half before the light came on.
    Rock over London... Rock on Chicago... I love what you do for me Toyota - Wesley Willis
  • Options
    Same thing happened with me with Hail ti the Thief. I was totally underwhelmed at first. It was probably a good year and a half before the light came on.
    same with me, although it didn't take that long.

actually i got all the radiohead records from a friend of mine at the same time.. so that might have had something to do with how my taste for them developed.

Really, really, reallllllllly brilliant band.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    im on a mission. no thread mentioning radiohead shall get by me without a post.

um..for this thread..seeing how its 3.45 am..ill just say..
    WHAT A BAND!
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    shahril wrote:
    im on a mission. no thread mentioning radiohead shall get by me without a post.

um..for this thread..seeing how its 3.45 am..ill just say..
    WHAT A BAND!
    yeah i feel that obligation too ;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    I first got into Radiohead when The Bends came out as well, specifically when High and Dry was released as a single, along with OK Computer it's definiteyl in my top 10 albums of all time, I don't think theres a bad track on either one, they are both incredibly emotional albums.

I've heard rumours that they're going to be playing the T in the park festival this year, I have everything crossed! I hate to say it but I've never seen them live and they are the one band in my top 5 favourite bands (Pearl Jam, Radiohead, R.E.M., Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro) that I HAVE to see.
    www.freeviewtheband.co.uk

www.myspace.com/freeview
  • Options

me, too....it definitely had to grow on me but once it did I could only wonder how I could have missed it the other listens. i think it's best to clear your mind of any preconcieved thoughts about what your going to hear or should be hearing and just let it happen and take it in as if you had never heard of Radiohead before.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    guys let's talk about Kid A

what a beauty...
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    I first got into Radiohead when The Bends came out as well, specifically when High and Dry was released as a single, along with OK Computer it's definiteyl in my top 10 albums of all time, I don't think theres a bad track on either one, they are both incredibly emotional albums.

I've heard rumours that they're going to be playing the T in the park festival this year, I have everything crossed! I hate to say it but I've never seen them live and they are the one band in my top 5 favourite bands (Pearl Jam, Radiohead, R.E.M., Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro) that I HAVE to see.

I saw them open up for R.E.M. on the Monster tour 1995, supporting The Bends record.
  • Options
    I have to say I'm not the biggest fan of Kid A, theres a few great songs on there but it's probably only my 4th favourite album of theirs, I prefer Hail to the thief, the first half of that album is especially amazing, and although theres a couple of tracks towards the end that I don't think are as good as the earlier ones I prefer it to Kid A.

www.myspace.com/freeview
  • Options
    bobasfeet wrote:
    I saw them open up for R.E.M. on the Monster tour 1995, supporting The Bends record.

I saw R.E.M. at Edinburgh on that tour, we got The Cranberries (?!) and Belly, which was nice but not Radiohead, I am extremely jealous!

www.myspace.com/freeview
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    Definitely one of my favorite Radiohead albums. Black Star and Street Spirit always get me...
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows