DMB - Cleveland 8/2/06

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Just saw DMB last night at Blossom. What a fucking sweet show. I can't believe some people here continue to diss DMB. Yes, a lot of their fans are frat boys who just go for the party. But, hell, that was an amazing show. The energy there was incredible, the band was incredibly tight. All I can say is that Boyd Tinsley is the fucking man! He went right up to the end of the stage and bent down and played his ass off during Louisiana Bayou, and went insane. Warren Haynes (!) came out during Smooth Rider, and played one hell of a jam. Jimi Thing was played, and them adding a 'For What It's Worth Tag' onto the end, that the crowd sang, was just amazing. Two Step was the encore - possibly one of my favorite songs of all time. I didn't think any concert could make me feel the way that Pearl Jam did. Now, it didn't come close, but it was an amazing experience. The crowd was so friendly, everyone was dancing and singing along, and the band was on fire. They still put on one hell of a show. Gov't Mule opened..it couldn't get much better.

Anyway, anyone else see them last night? Or this summer? And what do you think? I saw them in Pittsburgh last year, and outside of a few songs (#41, Lie In Our Graves, Watchtower, Warehouse), I didn't even enjoy it - it was all slow, boring songs off of Stand Up & Everyday. Now, though, they've found their place with their Stand Up songs - and only play the good ones. They played Smooth Rider, Hunger For The Great Light, and Lousiana Bayou from Stand Up, and all three of them were absolutely amazing - they finally found their place. They sounded 100x better than last year, and the crowd showed. If anyone doesn't think they put on a good show..just go see them. For those that have seen them, what did you think of this years shows?

Set list:

Pantala Naga Pampa »
Rapunzel
When the World Ends
Rhyme & Reason
Hunger for the Great Light
Break Free
Louisiana Bayou
Smooth Rider
Grey Street
Sleep to Dream Her
Grace Is Gone
JTR
Crash into Me
Jimi Thing
Ants Marching
American Baby Intro »
Two Step
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Going to 2 nights when they get here in September. DMB Rocks! It's amazing they can play 2 1/2 hours with 12-15 songs. Another Great Jam Band, and I agree, Boyd is Da Man! Thanks for the early review.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    I just saw them this summer back in Toronto, 3rd row dead center! I still really like DMB. I haven't been into the last couple studio albums but they are still a great live act. I thought that they were really good this summer and they did more hits or songs that people want to hear more so than on their past winter tour.

Man your lucky to have got Gov't Mule as the opener!!!! Warren is the man, I'm a huge Mule and Warren fan. I'll be seeing him soon with the Allman Brothers at Darien Lake and I can't wait, he'll forsure get up there with Petty.

Have you heard DMB so Louisiana Bayou with Robert Randolph? It is sick!!! PM me and I can send it to you if not, and I think it's up on utube if u want to check it out.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Great review. I'm glad the Stand Up songs are becoming great jams.

8/28 - Hollywood Bowl will burn down and I will be there!!
  • 08.02.06 Blossom Music Center - Cleveland, OH

That's What Love Will Make You Do
    Child Of The Earth
    Patchwork Quilt
    A Million Miles
    Three String George
    Unring The Bell
    Soulshine

Warren performed "Smooth Rider" with DMB during their set

wow that's like 4 mule songs that i've never heard before. awesome.
    their new cd is out. aug 22 can't come soon enough.
  • I love when people come on here and diss Dave Matthews fans as drunken frat boys but act like Pearl Jam fans are so well behaved. I've seen Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews each over 10 times, and I can say without a doubt, Pearl Jam's fans are much much much bigger assholes.

The drunken frat boy comments are the funniest. I can't even listen to the opening chords of "Alive" with out picturing 2 douchebag's faces lighting up, then head butting each other while holding their beers in the air. But that isn't the problem. Stupid and downright ignorant don't have to be the same thing.
    Of the all the times I've seen PJ, I can think of at least 7 or 8 jerks around me that needed to be seriously hurt. Of all the DMB shows I've been to, the only incident I can think of was 6/9/01 (D.C.) when a few thousand fans on the lower level rushed the field about 4 songs in. Fortunately I was in the upper deck.

.....but anyway, back to the main topic. Dave Matthews Band is really good. They aren't ceven close to Pearl Jam as far as their music goes, but they are a lot of fun.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I love when people come on here and diss Dave Matthews fans as drunken frat boys but act like Pearl Jam fans are so well behaved. I've seen Pearl Jam and Dave Matthews each over 10 times, and I can say without a doubt, Pearl Jam's fans are much much much bigger assholes.

The drunken frat boy comments are the funniest. I can't even listen to the opening chords of "Alive" with out picturing 2 douchebag's faces lighting up, then head butting each other while holding their beers in the air. But that isn't the problem. Stupid and downright ignorant don't have to be the same thing.
    Of the all the times I've seen PJ, I can think of at least 7 or 8 jerks around me that needed to be seriously hurt. Of all the DMB shows I've been to, the only incident I can think of was 6/9/01 (D.C.) when a few thousand fans on the lower level rushed the field about 4 songs in. Fortunately I was in the upper deck.

.....but anyway, back to the main topic. Dave Matthews Band is really good. They aren't ceven close to Pearl Jam as far as their music goes, but they are a lot of fun.

i remember that dmb incident. that was my first time seeing them and i thought everyone was insanely rude doing that, especially during satellite. it's not like it was a high-intensity part of the set. he even had to ask everyone to step back. i was afraid for people down there.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    The crowd really wasn't that bad. Yes, there were some people who you could tell were there for the party...but it wasn't much worse than Pearl Jam. They put on an amazing show. Like I said, it's really nice now that they found their place with the Stand Up songs, feeling comfortable with them, and they all are very well worked out, and now they're having fun with them - but they still sound good. The set list could have been better, I would have loved Nancies>Warehouse, or So Much To Say>Too Much, or Tripping Billies - but hey, I loved every song they played minus When The World Ends, and Sleep To Dream Her was a sudden stop from the energy, so it kind of was out of place. They put on an amazing show, their music is better than ever. They're like Pearl Jam...better with age. If you ever had doubts about them, go see them.

Can't wait to see the PSU show in December, and the two night stand at Pittsburgh next year (which I WON'T BE MISSING). And who knows, maybe I'll make Fenway next year. Someone needs to tell PJ to play Fenway...
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    i am hoping to get to see them in Atlanta on August 15.....will see how my funds are. But I have always wanted to see them and think they would put on a great show. Are their any boots online that one can listen to?
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
    cookie5798 wrote:
    i am hoping to get to see them in Atlanta on August 15.....will see how my funds are. But I have always wanted to see them and think they would put on a great show. Are their any boots online that one can listen to?

Not sure, but I have a ton of random live songs. Halloween, Lie In Our Graves, So Right, Smooth Rider, Lousianana Bayou, Dancing Nancies, etc. And I have Red Rocks 95, Red Rocks 05, and Central Park.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    cookie5798 wrote:

This will help you out with finding boots:

http://dreamingtree.org/index.php

http://bt.etree.org/index.php

Or on the DMB message board they have a thread called take a dwnload/leave a dwnload and they have tons of songs and shows in there.
  • alobaralobar Posts: 310
    drew0 wrote:
    Just saw DMB last night at Blossom. What a fucking sweet show. I can't believe some people here continue to diss DMB. Yes, a lot of their fans are frat boys who just go for the party. But, hell, that was an amazing show. The energy there was incredible, the band was incredibly tight. All I can say is that Boyd Tinsley is the fucking man! He went right up to the end of the stage and bent down and played his ass off during Louisiana Bayou, and went insane. Warren Haynes (!) came out during Smooth Rider, and played one hell of a jam. Jimi Thing was played, and them adding a 'For What It's Worth Tag' onto the end, that the crowd sang, was just amazing. Two Step was the encore - possibly one of my favorite songs of all time. I didn't think any concert could make me feel the way that Pearl Jam did. Now, it didn't come close, but it was an amazing experience. The crowd was so friendly, everyone was dancing and singing along, and the band was on fire. They still put on one hell of a show. Gov't Mule opened..it couldn't get much better.

Anyway, anyone else see them last night? Or this summer? And what do you think? I saw them in Pittsburgh last year, and outside of a few songs (#41, Lie In Our Graves, Watchtower, Warehouse), I didn't even enjoy it - it was all slow, boring songs off of Stand Up & Everyday. Now, though, they've found their place with their Stand Up songs - and only play the good ones. They played Smooth Rider, Hunger For The Great Light, and Lousiana Bayou from Stand Up, and all three of them were absolutely amazing - they finally found their place. They sounded 100x better than last year, and the crowd showed. If anyone doesn't think they put on a good show..just go see them. For those that have seen them, what did you think of this years shows?

Set list:

Pantala Naga Pampa »
    Rapunzel
    When the World Ends
    Rhyme & Reason
    Hunger for the Great Light
    Break Free
    Louisiana Bayou
    Smooth Rider
    Grey Street
    Sleep to Dream Her
    Grace Is Gone
    JTR
    Crash into Me
    Jimi Thing
    Ants Marching
    American Baby Intro »
    Two Step

this setlist is exactly the reason I stopped going to DMB shows 6 years ago. They don't play their good songs anymore.
    "I wanna believe in the mercy of the world again."

WAR + MAGIC BEANS = PEACE
    I've been happy with my last couple of shows setlist:)

Dave Matthews Band
    December 3, 2005
    Joe Louis Arena, Detroit, MI

Pig G1
    Best of What's Around G1
    Stand Up G1
    Dreamgirl G1
    Two Step G1
    Lover Lay Down G1
    Hunger for the Great Light G1 G2
    Dancing Nancies G1 G2
    Warehouse G1 G2
    Linus And Lucy G1
    Steady As We Go G1 G2
    Too Much G1 G3 G2
    Smooth Rider G1 G3 G2
    Jimi Thing G1 G2
    Stay G1 G2
    Encore:
    Christmas Song G1
    The Dreaming Tree (Tease) G1
    Old Dirt Hill G1
    What Would You Say

Toronto 2006
    Grey Street G1 G2
    Pig G1 G2
    Crash Into Me G1
    Louisiana Bayou G1 G2
    What Would You Say G1
    Big Eyed Fish ...> G1 G2
    Bartender G1 G2
    So Much To Say ...> G1 G2
    Anyone Seen the Bridge? G1 G2
    Too Much G1 G2
    The Idea Of You G1 G2
    Everyday G1 G2
    Break Free G1 G2
    Hunger for the Great Light G1 G2
    The Dreaming Tree G1 G2
    Tripping Billies G1 G2
    Encore:
    Sister ~ G1
    Dancing Nancies G1 G2
    Stay G1 G2
    alobar wrote:
    this setlist is exactly the reason I stopped going to DMB shows 6 years ago. They don't play their good songs anymore.

Uh, that set list kicks ass. And that's been one of the worst set lists this year. The only songs I didn't like were When The World Ends & Sleep To Dream Her. Lousiana Bayou, Smooth Rider, and Hunger were all very good. The latter was eh, but the first two were dead on amazing. Grace Is Gone was breathtaking, Grey Street kicked ass...I mean, what else could I have wanted? Just look at the Fenway shows, they still play amazing sets.

Night 1:
    Everyday
    Pig
    Monkey>
    Satellite
    Idea Of You
    Grey Street
    Bartender
    Crash
    Jimi
    Last Stop
    Digging A Ditch