Tom Petty/Allman Brothers in Pittsburgh

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited August 2006 in Other Music
I was there last night. One hell of a night, so much fun, amazing show. He really puts on a good show, and Allman Brothers are the perfect opening band. Who else was there? Saw five or six people in Pearl Jam shirts, too nervous to talk to any of them.
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KellerKeller Posts: 177
    I want to go to the show tomorrow night in camden but can't seem to find reasonable tickets. Was there scalpers in the the parking lot?
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    I was there. Tom Petty was amazing as always. I can't believe the Heartbreakers can still bring the rock after 30 years.

I absolutely hate that venue though. that's the last time I'll see a show there. it's not worth it. all night I had at least 10 random drunk people crawling all over my seat and on top of me. Then the parking lot is an issue in itself. It took us at least an hour just to get out, not to mention the huge fight that broke out right in front of my car.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    I was at the Darien Lake show 2 nights ago!

The Allman Brothers rocked as usual!!!! I thought Warren was looking a little more rough than usual but him and Trucks were on fire!!!! I had such a great night (other than the crazy drive back to Sarnia ON, we got in a 4:30am) but it was well worth it.

Petty was alright, we we're 7th row center so we had great seats, he was good but I found it hard to get into it after the ABB. Refugee rocked and American Girl...I just luv dancing to the ABB and found him to be slow and the songs just flew by so quick one after another after listening to the ABB jam.

Wished S.N was there but she cancelled. She was at the Detroit earlier that wk, did she hit your show?
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Keller wrote:
    I want to go to the show tomorrow night in camden but can't seem to find reasonable tickets. Was there scalpers in the the parking lot?

Not sure. There were a lot of people looking for tickets. More than I usually see. Like...a lot. Not sure how many of them found tickets, though.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I was there. Tom Petty was amazing as always. I can't believe the Heartbreakers can still bring the rock after 30 years.

I absolutely hate that venue though. that's the last time I'll see a show there. it's not worth it. all night I had at least 10 random drunk people crawling all over my seat and on top of me. Then the parking lot is an issue in itself. It took us at least an hour just to get out, not to mention the huge fight that broke out right in front of my car.

Really? I love that venue - never had a problem, really. I was on the lawn, and didn't really have a problem with drunk people....but you'll have that everywhere. There were two guys behind me and my friend that kept taking pictures of us...so we ended up moving, it was really weird. The parking is a shithole, but I found it better than Blossom which I was at last week. I didn't see any fights, and most people were extremely drunk..but you'll have that. One lady was completely fucked up, probably on more than just alcohol, and asked us where her seat was (she was on lawn) then got mad at us..so we just told her to leave and she kind of just walked away and layed down.

The show was amazing, can't get over it - hopefully he'll come back around next year with another great opener (Allman Brothers Band kick ass! And they were the perfect opener...I'll say it again). Derek Trucks is amazing, love listening to him. He absolutely kicks ass.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Stevie Nicks was not present.

I'm praying Tom Petty will tour again next year. There aren't too many good artists left that play big venues.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    drew0 wrote:
    Really? I love that venue - never had a problem, really. I was on the lawn, and didn't really have a problem with drunk people....but you'll have that everywhere. There were two guys behind me and my friend that kept taking pictures of us...so we ended up moving, it was really weird. The parking is a shithole, but I found it better than Blossom which I was at last week. I didn't see any fights, and most people were extremely drunk..but you'll have that. One lady was completely fucked up, probably on more than just alcohol, and asked us where her seat was (she was on lawn) then got mad at us..so we just told her to leave and she kind of just walked away and layed down.

The show was amazing, can't get over it - hopefully he'll come back around next year with another great opener (Allman Brothers Band kick ass! And they were the perfect opener...I'll say it again). Derek Trucks is amazing, love listening to him. He absolutely kicks ass.

Are u seeing Clapton this tour? Trucks is with him! I'd really like to catch DTB but they usually stay down south I find.
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    allmans play camden tomorrow night. i really wanted to go but hence there is a pj tribute band playing... ;)
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
    thatgirl wrote:
    allmans play camden tomorrow night. i really wanted to go but hence there is a pj tribute band playing... ;)

I think you should hit the ABB gig!!! Is it one that they are "co-billing" w/ Petty? If so they will be done by 9, either way don't miss them!!!
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    Kricket wrote:
    I think you should hit the ABB gig!!! Is it one that they are "co-billing" w/ Petty? If so they will be done by 9, either way don't miss them!!!
    i know i know, but with work, traffic, etc etc just wont work. :(
    i honestly could care less about petty, its just allman id love to see!
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • drew0 wrote:

Are you talking about Post Gazette Pavillion? I have never heard anyone say they love that venue. To me it is just one more thing Pittsburgh did wrong that other cities did well. I was so glad Pearl Jam has played the arena the last 2 times. Mellon Arena sucks, too, but not as bad.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
    Are you talking about Post Gazette Pavillion? I have never heard anyone say they love that venue. To me it is just one more thing Pittsburgh did wrong that other cities did well. I was so glad Pearl Jam has played the arena the last 2 times. Mellon Arena sucks, too, but not as bad.

It doesn't bother me. I've only seen shows at the Gund Arena, Blossom, Post-Gazette, and Mellon, though. And Post-Gazette has always been my favorite to visit. More just the atmosphere and the crowd, though, then the actual venue. What's wrong about it? I thought parking at Blossom was a lot worse.
    Kricket wrote:

Uh, not sure if they are co-headlining or what. Allman Brothers Band is deamed as the opener, and thought of as one, but they played for an hour and forty-five minutes (from 7 until about 8:45), Tom Petty played for two hours (from about 9:30 to 11:30).
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,148
    i almost went to this show in syracuse but i had two concerts the two nights before and i wouldve been too burnt out.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I also hope that Petty tours next year. I saw him in Dallas 2 weeks ago, and he has earned a spot on my top 10 band list. I hope he tours again, I would love to see him again. I thought Stevie Nicks was a wonderful addition to the show as well.
    Since Stevie was not with him, what did he play instead of insider and stop drafing my heart around?
    Also, how people could have just walked out on Petty during the pj/ Petty co- shows is beyond me. All I can say is that they missed a phenominal night of seeing two of the greatest bands still playing straight up rock and roll. I heard a snippet of pj and TPATHB doing Dylan's Rainy Day Women #12 &#35 and that was bad ass. They did a better job than Dylan with it.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
    thatgirl wrote:
    i know i know, but with work, traffic, etc etc just wont work. :(
    i honestly could care less about petty, its just allman id love to see!

That's too bad and yeah I too was there for the ABB, I thought I'd like Petty better than I did.
    The ABB were co-bill at Darien, that's why they played for almost 2hr, compared to in Detroit Trey opened for Petty and played only 6 songs.

edit - my quote on DrewO isn't working?