Robert Randolph - Colorblind

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited October 2006 in Other Music
Am I the only one looking really forward to Robert Randolph's new album, Colorblind? I've heard three songs from it, and they are all amazing. Extremely talented guitarist, amazing to listen to and fun to watch on stage. When you get respect and recognition from Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, and Dave Matthews, you know you've got it good. I'm really praying he hits it big, as he deserves it and is good enough to do so. His stuff is extremely good in sense of talent, the melodies are great, and their fun songs that are well constructed. Just listen to his version of Purple Haze, or listen to I Need More Love. One of his new songs, Thrill Of It, was actually featured in a commercial for the Ohio State/Texas game that took place today, and Eric Clapton guests on a cover of the Byrds' 'Jesus Is Just Alright' on the new album.

Who else is looking forward to this album? If you don't know his stuff, visit his MySpace page and listen to it there. It's amazing for any fan of rock & roll, funk, r&b, and any good guitar work.
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• when does this album come out?? because i want it...
  • robert is the fucking man. i've never been more blown away hearing someone live.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    i am grateful there is a band like Robert Randolph and the Family Band around these days. they kinda remind me of a folkier Sly and the Family Stone. but jebus, they are smoldering live. robert is one helluva pedal steel slide guitarist. and they're volcanic cover of Voodoo Child i saw them prefer earlier this summer as two major stormfronts and lighting were clashing together around the entire venue was simply electric. great live band who pairs up very well with the Drive by Truckers.
    Live Free or Die!
  • i'm more exited about seeing him live again, than for his album release.
    "It's all happening"
  • i'm more exited about seeing him live again, than for his album release.

i hear that. no album can capture what its like seein RRFB live.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • robert and the boys are AMAZING live. i saw them open for clapton and i've never seen an opening act get a bigger ovation in my life. Definitely looking foward to the new album and seeing him on stage again. Live at the wetlands is a pretty good live show that you can go out and buy if you want to get an idea of the band's talent. sick ass musicians.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Bump.

I'm picking up the album tomorrow (hopefully). I caught the band performing on Regis this morning while I was waiting for my car to get serviced and was definitely feelin the music. Does anybody have any concerts they would recommend via Archive.org of RR & the Family Band?
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • KricketKricket Posts: 707
    I'm gonna pick it up!!

I've seen them open for Clapton and The Black Crowes but have plans to hit the Royal Oak show in Nov and I'm really excited to see them on their own!!!
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    Kricket wrote:
    I'm gonna pick it up!!

I've seen them open for Clapton and The Black Crowes but have plans to hit the Royal Oak show in Nov and I'm really excited to see them on their own!!!

I'm still trying to round up some people to go. Hopefully I can let you know before the end of the week. Do you still want to go if it's just the 2 of us? I'm in, just let me know what you want to do!
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    They were smokin' on Conan earlier tonight!

Saw them in March @ Langerado in south Florida. Couldn't have been a better lead-in to Wilco and then the Black Crowes.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I'll be picking this up soon. The tour doesn't hit too many west coast dates though. Seen 'em a few times, I'd love to hear the new tunes in the setlist (it was getting a bit repetitive). I think I mention this on every RRFB thread, but if you haven't heard the WORD disc yet, you need to pick it up. Robert and some of the guys from NMAS doing all gospel tunes, all instrumental. Great stuff.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • definitely going to stop at Borders on the way home tonight. RR rocks.
  • chris3chris3 Posts: 43
    Is it me or is this album way too polished??? The production sucks the heart out of some of the songs. I remember hearing Deliver Me and Diane when I saw him this summer (3x) and they smoked, but they suck on this record. I wasn't expecting anything mindblowing b/c his main thing is the live show, but this album is okay at best. Maybe It'll grow on me though.....who knows. And yes people get that WORD album. I love NMAS and Robert Randolph and I had no idea they had collaborated together untill I just happen to walk up on them playing at Bonnaroo 05. It was one of the best shows I saw all weekend.
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 590
    The cd seems solid so far, I'm going to see them at Roseland in NYC in about a month. GREAT live band, one of the best I've seen.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96