Are The Hip Worth Seeing Live?

drew0drew0 Posts: 943
edited April 2007 in Other Music
They're playing in a city 30 miles north of me, in a small, intimate venue that seats 1,500. Is it worht it - do they still have it in them? I've only heard a handful of songs, but I like what I hear.

Yea or nea - should I pay the $35 to see the Tragically Hip?
Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Only $35 to see the Hip? That's a hell of a deal, especially considering it's a small venue. Most Canadians would gladly step over their own mothers to see the Hip in a venue that small. And to answer your question, yes they're definitley worth seeing. I'm a huge fan, so I'm probably a bit biased here, but I can honsetly say they're one of the best live bands on the planet right now. They've been around a long time, but they still rock harder than most bands half their age. Gord Downie's crazy stage antics and cryptic mid-song rants are worth the price of admission alone. Trust me, you haven't experienced the Hip until you've seen them live.

Enjoy the show!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • +1 to all direwolf's praise! ;)

my friends and i did a road trip to new york on the phantom power tour to see them in a place roughly the same size as you mentioned, somewhere around 1,500 capacity. i feel really fortunate to have seen them in such a small venue. there was such great energy in the show and the crowd was fantastic. it was an experience unlike any other...definitely worth the 24 hour drive to new york in a van full of my stinky friends. :D

for 35$, AND to see them in a small venue only 30 miles away, i would hop all over it!

hip! :D
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    The hip rules, go see them there amazing. Gord Downie is one of the best performers ive ever seen.
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    The hip rules, go see them there amazing. Gord Downie is one of the best performers ive ever seen.

agreeded on their good nights they're as good as PJ and one thier bad nights, they still usually rank as the best show of the year. only seen them 6 times but each one is special and I don't get nostalgic about this kind of thing much anymore so it means something I just wrote something as gay as "each one is special"
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    they're incredible live. go see them, for sure!